The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Out of Control Oil Spill has Gov't "Freaking Out"

nucklehead

I work as engineer in fort mac, weird I hadn't heard of this before. Word usually spreads pretty quick concerning anything like this. Strange describing it as a mechanical problem too.

Even tho I work for one of the bigger oil companies and get paid very well doing so, there is no reason we should still be this dependent on oil. We will never be free of it completely, because it used in so many different applications that many people don't even realize.

But the energy sector we could be easily. And no wind power or solar power is not the answer, I can go into depth if anyone is truly curious.

Unfortunately the people who claim to be environmentally friendly are not doing us any favors. Nuclear power is our answer to solution, and not the conventional uranium reactors but thorium reactors, also known as LFTR Reactors. That technology has been brushed under since the 50s for all the wrong reasons, it's foolish it's not being developed heavily right now. But nuclear has a bad stigma so it won't be not in North America anyways. Do some research into LFTR Reactors if the energy sector interest you, it's crazy. I won't go into it too much right now because I could write forever.

I work as engineer in fort mac, weird I hadn't heard of this before. Word usually spreads pretty quick concerning anything like this. Strange describing it as a mechanical problem too.

Even tho I work for one of the bigger oil companies and get paid very well doing so, there is no reason we should still be this dependent on oil. We will never be free of it completely, because it used in so many different applications that many people don't even realize.

But the energy sector we could be easily. And no wind power or solar power is not the answer, I can go into depth if anyone is truly curious.

Unfortunately the people who claim to be environmentally friendly are not doing us any favors. Nuclear power is our answer to solution, and not the conventional uranium reactors but thorium reactors, also known as LFTR Reactors. That technology has been brushed under since the 50s for all the wrong reasons, it's foolish it's not being developed heavily right now. But nuclear has a bad stigma so it won't be not in North America anyways. Do some research into LFTR Reactors if the energy sector interest you, it's crazy. I won't go into it too much right now because I could write forever.

Actually Hydro would love that, they could then sell more surplus to the US for $$$$. They make WAY more money off them than they do off us.

I agree solar is a better solution on homes and business roof tops. There really should be a government subsidy program to help mitigate costs of doing so IMO. Imagine the benefits of every home and office building with south facing solar panels supplementing the grid...

Otherwise I agree, in the short term, continued expansion of hydro, tidal and nuclear are the best bets now (and offer that consistency you mentioned) with further research and infrastructure in to hydrogen down the line.

I would agree, but with the cloud cover BC gets in most places, and because of the latitude, solar doesn't make a ton of sense unfortunately.

I think we could do some cool stuff with wind, tidal, and wave energy though.

I would also support nuclear, so long as it is in the middle of a very geologically stable area, but don't think that's likely to happen.

I'd certainly have to see figures, and certainly it makes MORE sense in places like Arizona but I still think we get enough sunlight/partial sunlight to make some sort of financial sense.

REALLY interested in tidal/wave energy though. Would love to see a lot of expansion in those areas for coastal regions.

I'm not really sold on wind. I don't see how you feasibly do large scale production with it. And while people might be ok with some solar panels on their roof, I doubt many people want a giant wind turbine in their yard... then there's that consistency issue.

One of the things we discussed in geography class was whether the pipeline and anything related is worth the risk or not.

We all agree that this will create jobs but we also agree that there are dangers to it. I don't want to make it a right and wrong cause its not that simple.

The question that came down to it was...is it worth the risk?

Actually Hydro would love that, they could then sell more surplus to the US for $$$$. They make WAY more money off them than they do off us.

I agree solar is a better solution on homes and business roof tops. There really should be a government subsidy program to help mitigate costs of doing so IMO. Imagine the benefits of every home and office building with south facing solar panels supplementing the grid...

Otherwise I agree, in the short term, continued expansion of hydro, tidal and nuclear are the best bets now (and offer that consistency you mentioned) with further research and infrastructure in to hydrogen down the line.

Archived