The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sewer pipe question..

Mainly Mattias

Ok, so we've been getting the sewer line augered every couple of years ($200 each time) to get rid of roots and have been told multiple times that the pipe should be replaced.

The most recent augering guy quoted $2k for replacing the broken section of pipe (not the entire line from pvc to city connection - just a few feet!). This dude seems a bit dodgy and we've already dug where he wants to replace and the pvc looks intact with no root penetration. The pvc takes and angle down under the walkway towards the retaining wall. I'm expecting that the $2k job would double since he'd have to tear down and replace a concrete retaining wall where the broken pipe actually is..

Anyway, we sent him on his way after looking on the camera as to where the roots were.

Are there other alternatives to full out digging and replacing or continuous augering?

Has anyone had to deal with this before?

Can anyone tell me about the epoxy pipe relining, for example?

Its probably a quote on the higher end in case unexpected things occur, that being said it can cost upwards of 6,000 to replace a normal sewer line since a mini excavator is usually brought in to do the digging. Also any pipe running under concrete ie: driveways walkways should be done in ABS pipe. You could try pipe bursting as you mentioned though it may have trouble with a hard rise or fall in the piping. Make sure that anytime you dig up your sewer that 2-way clean-outs are installed to help with any future problems that may arise. Or you could try and find a used auger and auger it yourself every month but once the roots are in the only sure way is to dig up and replace

We had some issues with ours a couple summers ago. After we had it augered, the plumber told me to throw a cup of rock salt into the system (flush down the toilet) every once in awhile. He explained that the salt will get stuck in the roots and kill them off. I'm not 100% certain how well it works, but we haven't had any issues since.

A friend of mine is a plumber , he got a call from a lady about a blocked sewer ,after an hour of work and getting covered in crap he gave her a bill for $350 , she balked at this and started to question him , he listened patiently till she finished and then politely said , How much would you charge me to stick your hand and arm in my sh!t , she paid the money there and then.

Its probably a quote on the higher end in case unexpected things occur, that being said it can cost upwards of 6,000 to replace a normal sewer line since a mini excavator is usually brought in to do the digging. Also any pipe running under concrete ie: driveways walkways should be done in ABS pipe. You could try pipe bursting as you mentioned though it may have trouble with a hard rise or fall in the piping. Make sure that anytime you dig up your sewer that 2-way clean-outs are installed to help with any future problems that may arise. Or you could try and find a used auger and auger it yourself every month but once the roots are in the only sure way is to dig up and replace

Archived