The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

Please keep all Team Canada-related news and discussion here.

525202_607464685969550_1057022546_n.jpg

Canada has released their roster for the Sochi 2014 Olympics:

Goaltenders:

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver Canucks (NHL)

Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens (NHL)

Mike Smith, Phoenix Coyotes (NHL)

Defenseman:

PK Subban, Montreal Canadiens (NHL)

Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis Blues (NHL)

Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings (NHL)

Dan Hamhuis, Vancouver Canucks (NHL)

Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues (NHL)

Shea Weber, Nashville Predators (NHL)

Marc-Édouard Vlasic, San Jose Sharks (NHL)

Forwards:

Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars (NHL)

Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins (NHL)

Jeff Carter, Los Angeles Kings (NHL)

Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)

Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche (NHL)

Ryan Getzlaf, Anahem Ducks (NHL)

Chris Kunitz, Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)

Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks (NHL)

Rick Nash, New York Rangers (NHL)

Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks (NHL)

Patrick Sharp, Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)

John Tavares, New York Islanders (NHL)

Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)

Sucks for Jarome, but he doesn't really deserve it.

Nice to see that Marchand was invited :sick:

Defense looks pretty stacked.... on the right side

I think Hamhuis has a strong chance of making it. Being left handed is a major plus there and him and Subban, I think, would be a dominant pair.

Sucks for Jarome, but he doesn't really deserve it.

Nice to see that Marchand was invited :sick:

Defense looks pretty stacked.... on the right side

Yeah our left side is week with only Keith as the stand out. He'll make the team for sure

He's one of the few LH D. Huge chance he makes it.

Where would u rank him as an LD? Id say third or fourth but they have too many RDs that can play left so we'll see. Too bad we have the opposite problem with too many LDs... thanks to gillis for giving us 5 man left handed pp most of last year! (Sarcasm)::

Lol at all the fools that said MAF should be on the team... not even an invite. Thank the lord... he's terrible.

Not many others I would legitimately think they would have invited, although I'm glad Hamhuis would be included. I love Burrows for instance, but for a full Olympic roster he doesn't make the cut.

Interesting to note Luongo's the only goalie not only to have been with the team for the 2010 gold (no Brodeur or Fluery) but he also has the added experience of the 2006 Olympics. Only 3 other players (all forwards: Rick Nash, Eric Staal and Joe Thorton) have that distinction from the invitee's. That is a lot to go in his favour where even if he doesn't make it as the starter he'd likely be a backup in case that experience is needed.

Hamhuis doesn't have that Team Canada pedigree, but on a roster loaded with very good right handers, being a top lefty could work in his favour. His competitions for the left side is Alzner, Bouwmeester, Keith, Methot, Phaneuf, Staal (Marc) and Vlasic. Keith is pretty much a lock, so I can see Bouwmeester perhaps being his biggest competition. Still lots of top RHD though, so depends on if they bring more of them and shift some to the left side.

There will be other invitee's for different national teams though, Kesler, Sedins, Edler, Hansen and maybe even Jensen for instance. Will be a good tourny to watch though.

Where would u rank him as an LD? Id say third or fourth but they have too many RDs that can play left so we'll see. Too bad we have the opposite problem with too many LDs... thanks to gillis for giving us 5 man left handed pp most of last year! (Sarcasm)::

Keith

Hamhuis

Staal

Phaneuf

Hamonic

Bouwmeester

Is how I'd rank them.

Brodeur, Ward, Fleury and Jarome feels weird but it makes sense why.

I think if Lu starts and it will be his job to lose which is good. Has to keep playing well.

Hamhuis should make it I think we have to many puck movers and offensive defensemen. Weber and Hamhuis would be my top shut down pair.

Keith

Hamhuis

Staal

Phaneuf

Hamonic

Bouwmeester

Is how I'd rank them.

Hamonic's a RHD, so drop him from that list. Bouwmeester might not be worth the contract he signed with Calgary, but he's not that bad that I'd put him behind Staal and Phaneuf. Depends on how they see the other players and if they have a specific role they want to fill I guess, but I'd put Bouwmeester third behind Keith and Hamhuis.

Archived