The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Snubbed for Canada's Olympic Orientation?

JamesB

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry if this is already posted. I searched but could not find it. In any case, Luongo and Hamhuis are among the 47 players invited to Canada's Olympic orientation camp. I was surprised. I expected Garrison and Burrows to at least make it to the top 47. The obvious question is: who else should have been invited. I would be interested in comments.

Honestly, nobody else on our roster deserved an invitation. Burrows is just an average two way player with offensive upside. They've already got a few players who have more skill than Burrows to do exactly what he does. IE: Patrice Bergeron.

But if I had to choose, Bieksa and Garrison would be my choices

It would have been nice to see Burrows on there, but a World Championship roster is very different from an Olympics roster. Burrows only made the WC team because other more deserving players were still occupied with the Stanley Cup playoffs. While Burrows, Bieksa, Garrison, etc are good players, I don't think they can be put in the same category as the other invitees.

Congrats to Lu and Hammer on the invites. Hamhuis is so solid and consistent. Not flashy and doesn't provide a whole lot of offense, but he is steady as can be defensively. Would be a great fit if he makes the team.

Really? Two of our players who have a very good chance of making the team are invited to camp and we're 'snubbed'? I would not be surprised if we're soon labled as the most unappreciative fan base in the NHL

Hammer is steady and his offensive upside is underrated, and eventhough we won't make the team, he is deserving of the invite. Maybe Juice would be the on the cusp of getting an invite, but would never make the final roster.

1. 47 players invited, coming from a possible 30 teams (assuming no non-NHLers make it).

2. Our top 3 forwards (5 of our top 6, even, depending on the lineup) are not Canadian.

3. We have a D core that has underperformed recently.

With all those factors, I am quite happy we have two players selected.

Sorry if this is already posted. I searched but could not find it. In any case, Luongo and Hamhuis are among the 47 players invited to Canada's Olympic orientation camp. I was surprised. I expected Garrison and Burrows to at least make it to the top 47. The obvious question is: who else should have been invited. I would be interested in comments.

There are better forwards out there than burrows for Olympic........ He's a really good player for us but when you are able to choose anyone in the NHL to form a team, you just can't expect burrows to be on the same level as the others......

He could be a wild card back up call tho

And garrison?? He doesn't have enough history to have a spot against the other defensman on the list

Let's just hope one of them feels that way and goes on a tear like Samuelsson when Sweden snubbed him (although that was more of a snub than any of these players).

Hamhuis should make the roster; he'd be a solid LH d-man (which Canada severely lacks) and can allow a more offensive d-man to take risks.

Archived