The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dubai pardons Norwegian woman charged with illicit sex after rape claim

nuckin_futz

Heard its nice there but this is ridiculous. An embarrassment to the civilized world and dropped Dubai down to the bottom of the barrel of places on my list to visit. What an absolute disgrace to the modern world.

What the article fails to mention is whether or not she was acting sexy prior to the rape or whether or not she was dressed in a provocative way, thereby non-verbally consenting.

How can you let politics dictate which country you want to visit? In that case, you should also cross off China, Thailand, all of the African countries, most of the South American countries and all of the 3rd world countries. Might as well just go to a couple of countries in Europe and call it a day.

1) It is illegal to have sexual intercourse in Dubai.

2) it is illegal to drink alcohol in Dubai.

3) a non-muslim woman cannot testify against a muslim man without 4 muslim men to back up her story.

The woman goes to the police station to say she was raped. The police question the guy, who says it was consensual. The man's word is all that matters. Both parties get convicted of having pre-marital sex. The woman gets an additional charge of perjury for "lying" to the police/courts.

Fortunately, in this case, the international community and media turned this into a big deal, and the charges were dropped.

Well, its your lost. You will always see something unique in every part of the world. I guess you will miss out seeing the great wall of China, the Safari tour of Africa, great pyramids of Egypt or the biggest underwater cave in the world located in Iran. I don't let politics steer me away from seeing some of the wonderful things on this planet.

Archived