The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to retire Pavel Bure's #10 this season

AriGold

because I don't agree with you means that I don't understand? you're too condescending and internet-y to be taken seriously, but if it matters at all, i was a kid during Bure's prime and stood outside waiting for an autograph many, many times (he stopped once), and i had his name etched onto my shirt with a black marker, too. i know just as well as any child from that time what bure did for the city/team

the ceremony is stupid and done to drum up fan interest during murky periods of an organization's bleak narrative. probably why this current management seems so keen on it lately.

you think Naslund was a once in a lifetime player and character?

assuming the Sedins re-sign here, they will have to be retired by the organization. they have done just as much (if not more) than Naslund did, and Naslund was thrown up there pretty fast. So that'll be 6.

6 is two less than the Rangers

6 is one less than the red wings

6 is two more than the flyers

6 is four more than the penguins

the organization is obsessed with trying to manufacture a culture and history, it's so embarrassing. remember that #7 ceremony? goodness me

Goodness you is correct!! If your internet personality is anything like you real life personality...what a sad existence you must have on this planet(no offence ;) ). 6 retired numbers in 50 years...what an embarrassment??? lmao!!! The Taco Time down the street honoring the best employee every month is embarrassing. The Canucks recognizing their best athletes and people(who are very high profile within this community)is the farthest freaking thing away from embarrassing.

GLASSJAW is a little butt hurt cause he didn't get his shirt signed when he was a kid, meddling emotion into an argument is just foolish. Bure is by far the most skilled player to ever play for the Canucks, he was our Gretzky, our Lemieux, he was the face of our franchise. There's something that doesn't add up, you had a shirt with his name on it, and you went to a game (cause of Bure), well what I'm saying is... Wouldn't you say actions speak louder than words?

Welcome home Pavel. You are exactly where you belong.

Love the hater's on here. You ask any true long term Canuck fan, I'm talking a 30+ year fan, name you top 10 Canuck moments in history. I would say almost everyone would have atleast 3 Bure moments.

There is a guy name Al Hamilton that has his number retired by a team, exactlyu who is Al Hamilton. No disrespect to Ken Daneyko, either but I'm sure Bure was in a completely different league then these players. Other then the twins I don't see anyone else getting in soon.

Love it, thye could play well over a half hour of highlights honouring him as well during the ceremony. Can't wait!!

I think the problem you're having with this is that you just don't get it. 40+ year history and there will be 4 jerseys retired all of which are deserved for their impact to the organization. That's not very much. 1 every 10+ years. The generic whining about it is boring.

Yup. When you grade the impact players...the retired numbers along with Bure illustrates the history.

Ive always been somewhat ambivalent about Bure and his full role here. So much bad business between player and ownership back then.

But Bure was the first player to really lend the Canucks a sense of legitimacy for the time. Had the team not been so mismanaged, there would probably be different views about Naslund, and now Lu.

When it comes down to it, he was simply one of the best we ever had here, and he deserves his due.

I dont like the ownership here, but i do like what they are trying to portray. Making good with Pavel was a major step with refining the team culture here.

Congrats Pavel. You are really loved here!

because I don't agree with you means that I don't understand? you're too condescending and internet-y to be taken seriously, but if it matters at all, i was a kid during Bure's prime and stood outside waiting for an autograph many, many times (he stopped once), and i had his name etched onto my shirt with a black marker, too. i know just as well as any child from that time what bure did for the city/team

the ceremony is stupid and done to drum up fan interest during murky periods of an organization's bleak narrative. probably why this current management seems so keen on it lately.

assuming the Sedins re-sign here, they will have to be retired by the organization. they have done just as much (if not more) than Naslund did, and Naslund was thrown up there pretty fast. So that'll be 6.

the organization is obsessed with trying to manufacture a culture and history, it's so embarrassing. remember that #7 ceremony? goodness me

Yr just being a dink really.

BUT i do agree with the bolded. But whatever.

You make it sound like the Canucks are the Sens or some stupid sh!t.

At least be happy for him. And the team and its fans. Though i hate the fans. Again, whatever.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Mak. Still one of my favourite Canucks memories...watching him score that goal against Calgary in OT, back in 94. Seeing linden, courtnall and babych come flying in there.

Also the Churla elbow lmao, the refs werent calling f-all and Churla kept bullying and punching Bure....finally Bure had his chance and took payback.

I think there's only two Canucks that deserve to be up there #16 and #10. Good on the Canucks finally for putting their only ever real superstar up there:)

Like I said this whiny stuff is boring.

I think you could make a good case for Naslund to be in the ring of honor instead but he isn't and at that point it would still be 3 players who absolutely deserve the honor which is which is 5 less than the rangers, 4 less than the red wings blah blah blah blah boring. Assuming players will be retired in the future and whining about it seems a little ridiculous as well. Naslund served as captain of the Canucks for 8 years. Unless Henrik signs on for another 4 years and plays as captain he hasn't done as much as Naslund did.

It's not about manufacturing a "culture" for the team it's about showing respect to players who have meant something to this team. Yes we all remember the 7th man thing and if you think that had anything to do with culture and history you're might have a terminal case of angry cynicism. It was just a silly marketing campaign that nobody realized would be as stupid as it was until it was too late. It was forgotten as quickly as it was announced.

I agree 100% with you. Canucks are still my team but it's getting harder and harder to take them and thier fanbase seriously.

For the people that complain...

If he is good enough for the NHL Hockey Hall of Fame, he is damn well good enough for a Canucks jersey retirement... (a team that hasn't won anything)

It might be debatable if we had a storied franchise with many players in the HOF but really, if Smyl, Naslund and Linden who werent good enough for HOF got one, I think Bure should as well.

In fact, I would have Bure's jersey up in the rafters over Naslund, Linden and Smyl

Everyone/thing has a history and there's nothing wrong with celebrating and honouring parts of that. Bure is a significant part of this team's history and some of our most exciting hockey was centered around him.

To those who don't support it - whatever, your choice. But, ultimately, the team decides and they've obviously seen something that the rest of us also do. I've met Pavel on a couple of occasions and seen him play and he is very worthy of this in my view. To those saying he didn't interact...you obviously never attended a Canucks Family Carnival where he did, in fact, do just that. (Gino in a dunk tank was a blast too). Even Pat Quinn was down there on the floor, wandering around amongst the fans. It was a very special time in the team history and to celebrate Pavel as a big part of that can't be viewed as a negative.

Archived