The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to retire Pavel Bure's #10 this season

AriGold

Hall of Fame has nothing to do with Career as a Canuck.

Based on that, then we should retire Messiier and Sundin's right?

You guys just don't get it - you're all falling for the "hype"...

Oh my god your comparisons are awful.

Heretic,you can't win because Bure was the best forward this team has ever had.

This ain't about your ideas of what he should be or should have done to suit you.

Most every Canucks fan adores Pavel for what he did on the ice but I also admire him for sticking up for himself.

I like that he stood up for himself and that is why I wanted the statue with his back turned towards Griffiths Way.

Pavel rocks.

Again - I liked him when he played for us - I'm just saying he wasn't the "best" Canuck we've ever had.

He played 428 games with us, and yes, he scored a lot of electrifying goals, but he left us.

5th in goals scored and 7th in points for us.

That's not the "best".

His goals per game average - yes, best we've had...but in his 7 seasons here, only 3 times was his plus/minus above 0....

If you're basing it on HHOF, Messier played 207 games with us...and had a far better career than Bure did.

Larionov is in the HHOF as well...

Hall of Fame has nothing to do with Career as a Canuck.

Based on that, then we should retire Messiier and Sundin's right?

You guys just don't get it - you're all falling for the "hype"...

Messier and Sundin? Really?

You wanna compare players that played a combined total of 3 and a half seasons here to a player that played 7 years and almost 500 games?

And absolutely the hall of fame has to do with his time as a Canuck. If he doesn't win the Calder and have back to back 60 goals seasons here, there's no way he goes into the hall of fame. This is where he made a name for himself.

Loved Larionov.

Messier is a despicable human.

Pavel is a gem and was a superstar here.

Larionov was not and Messier certainly ranks as sewer scum.

It don't take your sunshine to have Pavel honored,Heretic.

I actually admire Gillis and Aqualini for doing this and they don't impress me very often.

Again - I liked him when he played for us - I'm just saying he wasn't the "best" Canuck we've ever had.

He played 428 games with us, and yes, he scored a lot of electrifying goals, but he left us.

5th in goals scored and 7th in points for us.

That's not the "best".

His goals per game average - yes, best we've had...but in his 7 seasons here, only 3 times was his plus/minus above 0....

Wow, please just stop.

5th in goals and 7 in points in 428 games. My guess is the players above him on that list took at least twice as many games to get the numbers they did.

I don't see why you think 7 seasons is a small amount of time. The average player plays 4 seasons in their whole careers in the NHL. Bure played 7 of his prime years here. He didn't go to Florida until he was 28.

1. Bure played more games as a Canuck than any other team.

2. For those who think money wasn't a factor for him moving on, take a look:

-Money earned as a Canuck (7 seasons): $24.368mil

-Money made elsewhere (5 seasons): $47mil ($30mil in NY)

The Canucks at the time, a time of severe economic stress for the team, simply could not afford him.

3. Pavel Bure did not totally pass on all local charity duties. He did as much as any Canuck except maybe the team captain at the time.

4. Yes, a lot of ex-Canucks played more games as a Canuck. But did they have the same impact that Bure had on the Canucks? Of course not.

5. No, he didn't win a cup. No Canuck has, but without Bure, there was no 1994 run. That run is still viewed as our best shot at the cup.

6. Bure is still the owner of the several of the teams' season and playoff offensive records.

7. Yes, Bure being in the HOF is significant to Vancouver. Hint: He didn't earn that HOF nod in Florida or NY.

8. If Stan Smyl and other esteemed Canucks alumni who decide which jersey's go up have no problem with a Bure jersey retirement, then why should you?

Messier and Sundin? Really?

You wanna compare players that played a combined total of 3 and a half seasons here to a player that played 7 years and almost 500 games?

And absolutely the hall of fame has to do with his time as a Canuck. If he doesn't win the Calder and have back to back 60 goals seasons here, there's no way he goes into the hall of fame. This is where he made a name for himself.

428 isn't "almost 500".

He also scored 58 and 59 goals playing for the awful Panthers...

Wow, please just stop.

5th in goals and 7 in points in 428 games. My guess is the players above him on that list took at least twice as many games to get the numbers they did.

I don't see why you think 7 seasons is a small amount of time. The average player plays 4 seasons in their whole careers in the NHL. Bure played 7 of his prime years here. He didn't go to Florida until he was 28.

How many players that played only 4 seasons have had their jersey's retired?

I agree more with TOMapleLaughs - except for his money analogy - inflation and rising salaries is why he got more later...that said, yes, the Cnucks should have paid him more...but of his 7 seasons here...his first 3 were the best...then he had 3 bad ones before playing back to his potential again before leaving...yes, he had some injuries...

BTW, here's a good article as to why he left (yes, it's a few years old):

http://www.puckwatch.com/2010/12/why-pavel-bure-left-vancouver.html

Guest Pinchin

What did Bure do for our franchise. For one, he shattered team records, won our first individual league award, went to the cup finals, electrified and reinvigorated a fanbase that was starving for ANY signs of hope. Looking back, it was one of the fondest times of my fandom. I don't think Bure was treated very well at the end of his tenure with us by ownership and I don't believe the rumours that he was holding out for a contract in the playoffs which has been suggested. I'm quite happy he is being honoured but I accept there are those who are not....you guys can suck it up, I'm sure it's not that big of a deal.

He also scored 58 and 59 goals playing for the awful Panthers...

Yeah,he reminds me of Orr.Totally reconstructed knee on several occasions and still plays better than everyone else with two knees.

Rocket Richard winner-2x in Florida.

Hart runner-up.

Calder winner.

Seven time NHL All Star.

Hockey Hall of Fame member.

Congrats to Bure! Well deserved.

All the haters seem to have a rather warped view of history. If you take away all your emotional bias (a lot of it based off incorrect assumptions/information I might add)...there's no logical reason why his jersey shouldn't be hanging from the rafters.

Please name another player in the NHL who played half his career with one club (7 seasons), and the rest elsewhere (7 seasons) and has their jersey retired:

Okay, name one player who has played 7 seasons with one club and had their jersey retired:

Archived