The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Down Syndrome Man Dies After Being Handcuffed

nucklehead

What about his family, other people with Down's Syndrome, family members of people with Down's? The Canucks organization does a lot for people with disabilities, how do you think they would feel about it? Once again someone makes an excuse for retard being used in that context but has an issue when I threw it back at the people condoning its use. I was merely demonstrating how offensive the word is after others tried to play it down. They certainly seemed to find it more offensive when it was used towards them so maybe next time they will think twice before using it again.

Oh yeah, and don't use RIP or Hodor might have another conniption.

I'm not suggesting it does, all I am saying is to directly use the word to insult is worse!

Absolutely you're right sensitive language should be used, like I said I don't condone buddy's post but I think what Joey joe joe has done after the fact is worse. Generally calling people who in anyway disagrees with his behaviour "retards" - combined with the fact he works with people with down's syndrome, makes it no longer ignorance but his conscious choice.

As for you last point, while I agree to a certain extent, we also have to be careful of pushing the danger zone to a point of the absurd. I would hate to see a world where people become prosecuted for using terms like black or asian or blonde.

Fair enough - and you have a good point about using it as an insult is, indeed, worse seeing as it used to be a clinical term.

We're over-thinking it here though - those in our society who are sensitive to this (or any) particular word aren't going to hash through a multi-paragraph response explaining context. There is no denying that this word has been effectively "weaponized" in present vernacular and those sensitive are simply going to read the word and feel bad because of it - that's why I made the comment I did.

Also, you're right - no prosecution haha. Just personally, I'm really trying these days not to bring in race/ethnicity unless it's pertinent to the conversation (and sometimes it's 100% appropriate.)

I'm not suggesting it does, all I am saying is to directly use the word to insult is worse!

Absolutely you're right sensitive language should be used, like I said I don't condone buddy's post but I think what Joey joe joe has done after the fact is worse. Generally calling people who in anyway disagrees with his behaviour "retards" - combined with the fact he works with people with down's syndrome, makes it no longer ignorance but his conscious choice.

As for you last point, while I agree to a certain extent, we also have to be careful of pushing the danger zone to a point of the absurd. I would hate to see a world where people become prosecuted for using terms like black or asian or blonde.

Interesting viewpoint. and although it could be used back towards you I hope that we all learn something here and that if someone uses a word inappropriately (whether due to ignorance or malice) perhaps it might be best for everyone, to not get emotional about it but rather appeal to them intellectually. If they can't understand why it was wrong, I think it's best just to ignore/block/report them rather than firing back at them.

I get you're not really like that and that word incites an deep emotional response in you, probably moreso due to your profession. But I think if we start firing back on level that they're on it really only perpetuates the problem rather than solving it in anyway.

I apologize if I came across as rude or hash but I think this topic really stirs up a lot of emotions for all.

In regards to the word Retard it has become a form of simple abuse through common usage as an insult. To use it to describe any person is now generally accepted to be insulting. Regardless of whether the word is technically correct or not.

If you can make the distinction between technically correct and socially acceptable this should be pretty straightforward.

'retard' is nowhere near 'n word' IMO

but i hope the rest of you guys are being argumentative for its own sake, otherwise you look a bit dumb

i won't pretend to be completely rid of my childish language, but i'm super conscious of saying things like 'retard' and 'gay' in a negative context -- some childish habits die hard, but you certainly won't find me trying to justify them

Archived