The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

Ok... u guys know ill support lui no matter what. But wtf is this bull?

The agent got him the contract and his commission should be paid until the end. Pretty classless imo to fire a guy that got him paid big bucks.

Unless there's something we're not being told, this isn't right.

Luongo has turned into a whipping-boy for the media - first in Vancouver, then all over the continent. It came to the point that despite a proven record of success and a perfectly manageable 5.3 cap hit, no team was willing to trade assets for him. It looks like it was a dirty ploy to use the media to drive down his image, and force a strong team like Vancouver to lose an asset for nothing.

Media relations, and the strategy to deal with them, are part of the responsibility of player agents. Obviously Lu's former agent fell short in this regard, and that is putting it lightly. I don't blame Roberto at all for seeking better representation.

We aren't being told anything as to why he's switched agents, it's all speculation at this point. And his previous agent would have already been paid for the contract he negotiated for Luongo, so that's not even an issue.

Sounds like you aren't supporting him on everything he does, no matter what, even without all the facts.

Luongo has turned into a whipping-boy for the media - first in Vancouver, then all over the continent. It came to the point that despite a proven record of success and a perfectly manageable 5.3 cap hit, no team was willing to trade assets for him. It looks like it was a dirty ploy to use the media to drive down his image, and force a strong team like Vancouver to lose an asset for nothing.

Media relations, and the strategy to deal with them, are part of the responsibility of player agents. Obviously Lu's former agent fell short in this regard, and that is putting it lightly. I don't blame Roberto at all for seeking better representation.

Of coz theres plenty luongo can do. He can play well enough up till olympic just to make the team and then half ass the rest of the season and hope he gets bought out. Hes getting paid regardless if he half ass or not. If you have a contract at work and they break all the promise they make to u. Would you be doing ur best and be happy about it just coz you get paid when u can prolly get paid the same elsewhere and be happy? Management created an uncomfortable situation for luongo by not trading schneider few years ago and allowed him to displace luongo as the starter. By keeping schneider he divided the fan base and there's a lot of anti luongo ppl and pro schneider even today after schneids is traded. And the media in this market likes to roast luongo any chance they get lol

This is royally pregnant with ramifications. Apparently this Barry bloke is similar in character to Jerry MacGuire, famous for a ludicrously over-the-top, excitable portrayal of a character named Tom Cruise. All Lou fans will be on the edge of their sofa, as the summer winds down.

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo has dumped his longtime agent and is now being represented by the heavyweight duo of J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson of CAA Sports.

Barry confirmed Wednesday that the change was made earlier this week. Luongo was previously represented by Gilles Lupien, who negotiated the 12-year, $64-million deal that Luongo signed with the Canucks in 2009.

There has been considerable speculation that Luongo is unhappy about the recent turn of events that saw Cory Schneider, and not him, traded away by the Canucks.

Barry would not directly comment on the reasons for the move, but said he plans to meet soon with general manager Mike Gillis and assistant general manager Laurence Gilman.

“I think I am going to have to reserve comment for a while,” Barry said. “We need to get up to speed and take some time. Obviously we are coming on to a difficult file and we need to give him proper advice and we need to take some time here, talk with Roberto, talk with Mike and Laurence. There are media reports and then there’s talking to the parties. We’ll take the time to do that over the next little while here … we’ll try and reach out to them in the next day or two.”

Barry said he’d prefer to let Luongo comment directly on the reasons for the change in representation.

“I think Roberto will probably make some comments, but in discussing it with him he felt he needed to perhaps find some different representation,” Barry said. “I’ll let him speak about that, but that is the position he took.”

Luongo has nine years remaining on his deal, which carries an annual salary cap hit of $5.3 million. So why would he need a new agent now?

“There’s a misperception about what agents do in the business,” said Barry, who also represents Daniel and Henrik Sedin. “We do more than just negotiate contracts. Our job is to guide players and their careers year to year and whether it deals with public relations or it deals with marketing or it deals with many, many other different things, obviously he is a star player and has been one of the best goaltenders in the world for a long time, so we’re here to help him out.”

Gillis travelled to Luongo’s home in south Florida early last week to meet with him.

“I have full confidence in Roberto and I have full confidence that he’ll be here and that is how we are operating,” he said after a promotional event with season-ticket holders at Rogers Arena on Tuesday night.

“It was fine, it was good,” Gillis said of the meeting. “It was fun. It was amiable. It wasn’t stressful. We talked about the team and we talked about the coaching change. We talked pretty well about everything we could possibly talk about. I told Roberto how I felt about him and how we felt about him as an organization.

“We talked about a variety of different things. All-in-all, we spent about 3½ hours together. I’m not sure how to describe it. It was just a normal conversation with a guy that I have known for a while. I didn’t leave with any sense of trepidation.”

Asked where he felt Luongo was emotionally, Gillis declined to answer: “I’m not going to talk about that,. There are some things that will remain private.”

In an email last week, Luongo said he had been asked by the team not to comment on his meeting with Gillis.

New Canucks coach John Tortorella also told reporters Tuesday night that he was confident Luongo would be back.

“I think he is a hell of a goalie and we are going to jump on his back,” Tortorella said. “You don’t go where you need to go if you don’t have goaltending. Everybody I have talked to, and I have only spoken to him once and never face to face, everybody says he is an absolute pro and a great guy. So I have tried to leave him alone, let him think this out and get his head wrapped around it. I think he’s going to be fine.

“He’s our guy, he’s our guy, we will not have any sniff at all if we don’t have him as our goalie. I have full confidence that he is going to respond and that he is going to handle it and will be fine.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+Roberto+Luongo+drops+longtime+agent+hires+high+profile+Barry+Brisson/8703065/story.html#ixzz2a08bEZe5

How does this work financially? Which agent cashes in the 10-15% of his paychecks. If its now Barry who does this probably isnt a big deal. If its still the original agent then this seems bad because he may be trying to go in a different direction.

The only plausible reason I see for this is that he still wants out or at the very least has no trust in his current agent after this whole debaucle.

I keep coming back to this thought with Lou: is he really that upset with how everything panned out that he would fu%k his teammates and fans over?

Archived