The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

Well this is rather hilarious to hear a day after MG comes out and says everything was honky dorey with Lu. Everything is great heh MG. Dan Murphy wrote a good article about this situation and he's spot on, pretty darn hard to believe Lu isn't still upset over this and wants out. There is no change, he's still got a life time contract and his former agent still collects his commission so why make the move? It's pretty hard Not to think this isn't only about getting a deal done that gets him out of here. I do believe tho that he will report once a move is not done once again. Just freaking hilarious this ordeal.

Well this is rather hilarious to hear a day after MG comes out and says everything was honky dorey with Lu. Everything is great heh MG. Dan Murphy wrote a good article about this situation and he's spot on, pretty darn hard to believe Lu isn't still upset over this and wants out. There is no change, he's still got a life time contract and his former agent still collects his commission so why make the move? It's pretty hard Not to think this isn't only about getting a deal done that gets him out of here. I do believe tho that he will report once a move is not done once again. Just freaking hilarious this ordeal.

God damn it people. The title could read "Luongo buys a unicorn and saves African children" and the hate would still come around.

Please. Shut the FFFFF UP all of you and STOP THINKING!

Relax, go play with your pets and hang out with your families.

Incredible really.

Clearly he feels his old agent gave him some bad advice signing that long term contract that became unmovable.

I think this is more of just a punishment to his old agent more than anything.

Agents do handle other things than just signing contracts. JP Barry is the best in the business, and looks out for his clients. Plus I think him and Gillis know each other pretty good. He did work out a discount with Gillis for the Sedins.

What makes you think Barry can force the Canucks to make a move more than Lupiens could? Agents don't negotiate with other GMs about taking their clients, so I don't know how switching agents would help move a trade along.

This is all about public relations now. Smoothing things over with the media and fans, and making people understand Lu's side.

This is the part of Barry's interview that stood out for me:

He specifically mentions public relations. This is what it's about now. He doesn't mentioning anything about trades or buyouts. Barry knows Lu's contract isn't getting bought out by anyone anytime soon, so the only option is to retire or play. And I can't see him advising Lu to retire.

I know he can't force MG to make any move. I just think Luongo maybe feels he wants to get another look at his situation and explore every avenue possible with a new group of agents. Possible he is unhappy with the lack of movement/success or whatever with Lupien. I just don't see why Luongo needs to change agents if this is only about smoothing things over with the fans and media like you suggested, cause he really has nothing to smooth over. Its MG that has that to do.

Clearly he feels his old agent gave him some bad advice signing that long term contract that became unmovable.

I think this is more of just a punishment to his old agent more than anything.

Agents do handle other things than just signing contracts. JP Barry is the best in the business, and looks out for his clients. Plus I think him and Gillis know each other pretty good. He did work out a discount with Gillis for the Sedins.

If all of you people can watch the post trade deadline press conference and observe his actions since Cory was given away and still believe there isn't an issue, you need help.

There has been a fricken dog and pony show to convince him to stay, he has said nothing publicly.

He hired a stacked Duo of agents for PR?

Give me a break.

http://www.sportsnet...t-of-vancouver/

why not agents get players extra stuff on the side like the BCLC deal with lu he gets to play poker in this big leagues for free. plus gets paid to do commercials probablly gets a bonus anytime he can mention playnow.com in a interview etc.

maybe he is looking into getting more rep in his poker endeavors ...

but he does also have the next season to officially request a trade and give a list of teams. so who knows what is up....

There's nothing that Barry can do that Lupiens couldn't.

Lu knows his options. Saying that this is to get a different look at his options doesn't make sense. He has three options as it stands right now. One is to not report to camp, get suspended and have his contract voided. This would mean he misses playing in the olympics. The second option is to retire from the NHL for a year and go play in Russia, which is something I doubt he wants to do. And the third option is to play for the Canucks next season, see how it goes, and if he wants to explore the trade route again next summer he can.

I see this as more of a divorce from his old agent for what he probably thinks was bad career advice. It happens all the time. Maybe Luongo sees this as a chance to start completely fresh. Like I said an agent does more than just contracts. They also serve as counsel for players, and if Lu wants to start planning his return to Van, it's good to have one of the best PR agents in the business to help guide the way for him.

Saying that this move clearly signals anything is nothing but a bunch of BS speculation.

All I've learned from the press conferences is that fans in this city love to speculate about every little detail when they really have zero insight into the situation.

Dog and pony show? He met with ownership and Gillis. The only part of this whole thing that has been a show is the media's sad attempt to drum up controversy to sell their product. I think people that don't see past the media's games need help to be honest.

Again, he's not hiring a new agent to negotiate a contract. His contract isn't going anywhere unless he either retires or fails to report. Neither of those moves are desirable for him.

So what is the almighty Barry gonna do that Lupiens hasn't? Is he gonna cold call every GM in the league and try and convince them to take Lu's massive contract on? No, agents don't have that power. The only thing Barry can do right now is to give him advice on his next steps, which all seem to lead back to Vancouver at this point.

Archived