The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lui Changes Agents

MJDDawg

Lol mountain out of a molehill.

None of you know what goes on behind the scenes... For all u know his old agent retired, or theres a personal problem completely unrelated to the Canucks or the last couple years.

Lu will be back better than ever, tired of reading these pathetic comments and negative posts.

Look at how people including the media react to something that could be for any number of or combination of reasons like changing his agent........would anyone really blame Luongo for wanting the hell out of Vancouver?

Until we know otherwise, why not try to stay positive? I mean, for all we know, maybe this is Luongo's statement that he knows some things, like his media relations, need to see some changes in order for him to be able to make it work in Vancouver?

Or maybe he does want out but is preparing for when the trade window in his contract comes up. It is - after all - his right.

According to the article posted previously in this thread, "In an email last week, Luongo said he had been asked by the team not to comment on his meeting with Gillis."

Why read something bad into it when chances are just as good that the team doesn't want him talking to the media so he has time to process everything that's happened and so he can have the summer to recharge his batteries, instead of having to field phone calls from reporters every single day of his supposed vacation time.

As I said above, it's also likely that the new agents were chosen to help him deal with the media and his public image, not to try to get out of his contract.

There's just been too much silence from Lu since the Schneider trade. A boatload of money and a 65-game starting role on a pretty good team are waiting for him here. If he was content with that, I have to think he would have made a half-joking tweet by now. Something like, "Can't wait to get back to Vancity to battle Lack for the backup role. #whosnumber1?"

Does anyone actually consider that after this Cory fiasco Lou is uber pissed at his former agent for brokering his deal ? Lou is not an idiot, he realizes his situation was compounded by the ridiculous strike, add the fact the cap ceiling is going down and the league has a very deep talent pool between the pipes.

The media and it's ultra corrupt negative agenda to sensationalize every single action good or bad about Lou has probably jaded the guy a little. Yeah, yeah he is makin millions, but you gotta love getting up in the morning and going to work or life is gonna be hell. Everyone knows what I am talking about so why not let the man continue his quest for Lord Stanley with a little bit of respect and have some pride in our multi 40 game winner. A goalie a player a human being that has taken everything this city and it's fans have thrown at him with total class.

Give the man some bloody peace and let Gillis jump on the grenade to save a little face for the organization and move on already.

I think the real problem is that Canucks fans think they're entitled to every little piece of information. And when they don't get any they automatically go into panic mode and assume the worst. :lol:

People need to stop saying this is a clear indication of anything. No one knows what's going on behind the scenes, and no one can pretend to. Just wait and see what happens like the rest of us and stop trying to stir up more controversy that might not even be there.

Changing agents happens in hockey you know. It's not always because they're not happy with their situation. Sometimes they just feel like their relationship with their agents has run their course, and they want a fresh perspective.

It is also possible that Lu was unhappy with his agent for advising him to take a long term contract that would significantly limit his chance to be moved in the future if he wanted. For all we know Lu wanted a shorter term contract and Lupiens pushed for long term stability, and gave him bad advice about the possibility of a future trade.

From Murph on Luongo (his speculation). I sure hope he's wrong cause it would leave Canucks with ZERO #1 goalies after being loaded with them 5 weeks ago. U should read the whole thing, but here are some clips:

http://www.sportsnet...t-of-vancouver/

He hasn’t spoke publicly since the day he found out Cory Schneider would be the goalie exiting Vancouver.

In this case I don’t believe that silence is golden. I don’t think you have to be a Rhodes scholar to come to the conclusion he isn’t happy right now.

There are numerous ways CAA could negotiate with the Canucks than Lupien couldn't. Being the biggest agency, they are really the last people any team wants to piss off, as this could end up having long term ramifications for the team. One example would be JP Barry calling up Aquilini and telling him that the way MG has treated Luongo has created a rift between the Canucks and CAA, as such, no CAA represented players will be signing in Vancouver until MG is fired. Obviously a top agency would not want long term beef with any NHL team, this would hurt their ability to provide the best representation to their clients, but a short term push could probably get a GM fired. Another example could be convincing the Sedins they should go back to Sweden and showcase their talents there before they become too old (the Sedins were once planning to do exactly this).

So, in theory, a ton of pressure could be laid on MG to cater to Luongo, pressure that wouldn't have been possible by any other agency. Remember also that Luongo is not untradeable. Would 29 NHL teams turn down Kesler, Horvat, Luongo and five 1st round picks in exchange for future considerations? All we can speculate is that teams were not willing to bite on a Luongo centered package, doesn't mean he couldn't be traded as part of a bigger package.

I don't believe the agent change has anything to do with any of the above. Likely punishment for Lupien, coupled with wanting better advice, better endorsements, and better financial planning. That said, it is certainly possible for his new agents to really squeeze the Canucks tight for a trade/buyout/something, though if that were to happen I would speculate it happens after the 2013-2014 season.

I'm not talking 'specifically' about Gillis going and talking to Luongo. I'm talking about his silence about the trade - in general. He hasn't said a word other than his comment about wishing Schneider was still on the team.

Lol, why would he get a new agent to get him to deal with the media and his public image? He's been in a media hotbed for 6+ years dealing with the media. You can a long term agent - there's a reason bigger than 'dealing with the media'. Combined with his silence, the fact he's made it very clear over the last yr he wants out - the agent change is pretty clear from my standpoint.

ever thought maybe it was MG himself who suggested Lu should switch agents due to certain advices he's been giving Lu the past couple years - for example: giving Lu hope that Florida was gonna go all in for him last Summer which forced Lu to say "no" to the Toronto trade?

As long as Luongo's contract was a standard players deal (no reason why it wouldn't have been) then Lupien will continue to receive a cheque thanks to the 12-year "sucky" contract he helped negotiate with GM Mike Gillis.

So what's in it for CAA?

Certainly they aren't taking on Luongo for nothing.

I find this part the most intriguing, he is still paying Lupien, now he has hired 2 other agents on top of that.

For what? Media representation?

This " you don't know what is going on behind closed door " argument can work both ways.

If Luo has admitted being told not to talk about that meeting, and MG spoke to him right after the trade, how do you know they didn't ask him not to talk to the media in general? And why would he? To make this ungrateful fanbase feel better after all but running him out of town? I'm sick of seeing the same people who said he should "just shut up" whenever he said something they didn't like now complaining he's not saying anything to soothe their little worries. Oh, has Luo not given an interview during his VACATION time to say how delighted he is to come back and play for the fans who boo'ed him and the media who kicked him when he was down every chance they got? Well boo hoo, suck it up!

I don't know why he got a new agent and neither do you. For all we know the agents went after him, selling him on how they could help rather than him seeking them out. People are making a big deal out of something they have too little information to ascribe such importance to.

You're welcome to any opinion or theory you want, just remember your "standpoint" is from around the corner, down the block and behind a fence. So why be so negative and just assume the worst, especially of a guy who has never shown he's anything other than professional and who has never been described as anything else by the people who actually know him?

People are assuming agents are only good for contract negotiations. If that were true athletes would just hire them when they were negotiating and fire them after. Obviously they have other purposes. Luo went to the same agency Hank and Danny are with and they've had their agent (I believe originally with a different company) for years despite having a stable longer term contract.

Maybe Luo's interested in getting more sponsorship deals that let him do more with poker or something. Maybe he just wants an agency he can trust to direct the media towards sometimes. Maybe the old agent's going senile and kept calling him "Tommy." Who knows?

We can't control what Luo does, but we can control what we do. As such, instead of the constant speculating about how he's going to disappoint us now our time would be better spent learning to be fans and decent human beings at the same time, instead of mean girls hell bent on tearing people down out of jealousy all the time.

Archived