The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks have re-signed Jordan Schroeder

AriGold

Guest Dasein

... Weise got more than Schroeder.

What a steal. I hope he can make an impact in the NHL this year! Like many said, would love to see him on Kesler's wing, but if he plays #3C, that's great too.

Great deal, this guy has improved every year. Smaller talented players take a bit of time. He's still got good potential. This deal is great for Vancouver and Schroeder has taken up the challenge to show us what he can do.

When he was set up to succeed he did just that. When he was moved into a checking center roll he fell on his face, his upside is his creativity not a defensive checking line center.

I hope and I believe torts will tap into his gift of offense, cause at the end of the day Jordan didn't get drafted in the first round to become an undersized 3C he was drafted to become a Playmaking 2C.

This is great news!

Hopefully he can get back on the track where he was the star player at the WJC and develop into a nice top 6 forward. This deal gives us lots of capspace to work with for Tanev+spare players.

Guest Dasein

This deal makes way too much sense for both parties.

For Vancouver, we get a young potential #3 center at dirt cheap $$ for a year for him to show that he's worth more and can make the NHL. If he's good enough, we have a #3 at $600K. If he's not, he doesn't count against our cap, and he'll be cheap again come next year when he might be ready.

For Schroeder, making money isn't the #1 priority off his ELC - making the NHL is. That's where the big money is, and that's where the big boys play - that's also where Jordan hasn't been playing and hasn't been able to crack yet.

Say Jordan takes a $1.0mil deal. He would make $400K more than he would now, but come training camp, suppose we are tight on cap. Even though Jordan is good enough to stick on this team, he gets sent down because we don't have cap room and we go with a cheaper option.

So his development and dream gets stalled for another year - just because of $400K. Because of $400K, he only gets called up when there are injuries. Just because of that $400K, he has to take another bridge contract after this one because he spent yet another year trying to prove himself in the NHL, but was up and down due to his cap hit.

If you're not convinced that $400K would matter, here's an example of how Jordan would be screwed by the cap:

Jordan (suppose is getting $1.0mil) outplays Richardson. He is labelled #3, Richardson #4. However, we are slightly over the cap with that roster, and Richardson's played well enough to be #3 - not better than Jordan - but well enough. Also, Kellan Lain, who comes at $600K (hence $400K) cheaper than Jordan, showed that he is ready to be a #4 at the NHL level - just not better than Richardson.

Because we don't have cap room, Jordan goes to the minors with his $1.0mil, and we go with Richardson at #3 and Lain at #4. Jordan spends the year coming up and down from the minors just as he did last season.

Whereas, if Jordan comes at $600K, he just sticks at #3 and Richardson at #4. Richardson makes more money than him, but at least Jordan can finally earn some REAL $$ on the next contract now that he will be an NHLer.

Like I said before, Weise is getting more $$ than Schroeder. That's what having some NHL games under your belt does for ya, and that's what Jordan really needs right now - not the extra $$ he might have been able to squeeze out of MG.

This deal makes way too much sense for both parties.

For Vancouver, we get a young potential #3 center at dirt cheap $$ for a year for him to show that he's worth more and can make the NHL. If he's good enough, we have a #3 at $600K. If he's not, he doesn't count against our cap, and he'll be cheap again come next year when he might be ready.

For Schroeder, making money isn't the #1 priority off his ELC - making the NHL is. That's where the big money is, and that's where the big boys play - that's also where Jordan hasn't been playing and hasn't been able to crack yet.

Say Jordan takes a $1.0mil deal. He would make $400K more than he would now, but come training camp, suppose we are tight on cap. Even though Jordan is good enough to stick on this team, he gets sent down because we don't have cap room and we go with a cheaper option.

So his development and dream gets stalled for another year - just because of $400K. Because of $400K, he only gets called up when there are injuries. Just because of that $400K, he has to take another bridge contract after this one because he spent yet another year trying to prove himself in the NHL, but was up and down due to his cap hit.

If you're not convinced that $400K would matter, here's an example of how Jordan would be screwed by the cap:

Jordan (suppose is getting $1.0mil) outplays Richardson. He is labelled #3, Richardson #4. However, we are slightly over the cap with that roster, and Richardson's played well enough to be #3 - not better than Jordan - but well enough. Also, Kellan Lain, who comes at $600K (hence $400K) cheaper than Jordan, showed that he is ready to be a #4 at the NHL level - just not better than Richardson.

Because we don't have cap room, Jordan goes to the minors with his $1.0mil, and we go with Richardson at #3 and Lain at #4. Jordan spends the year coming up and down from the minors just as he did last season.

Whereas, if Jordan comes at $600K, he just sticks at #3 and Richardson at #4. Richardson makes more money than him, but at least Jordan can finally earn some REAL $$ on the next contract now that he will be an NHLer.

Like I said before, Weise is getting more $$ than Schroeder. That's what having some NHL games under your belt does for ya, and that's what Jordan really needs right now - not the extra $$ he might have been able to squeeze out of MG.

I agree, except I think this season he'll be in a similar role to Hodgson's in 2012. Offensive 3C, 2nd PP centre, occasional times being moved up to the 2nd line. Hopefully he can handle that better than Hodgson did, then he'll get moved up permanently to the 2nd line

When he was set up to succeed he did just that. When he was moved into a checking center roll he fell on his face, his upside is his creativity not a defensive checking line center.

I hope and I believe torts will tap into his gift of offense, cause at the end of the day Jordan didn't get drafted in the first round to become an undersized 3C he was drafted to become a Playmaking 2C.

So let him be one.

^^Reading these recent posts sure put this all in a positive light. Contrast this signing with some middling/aging stars who've recently signed for 4~5 million. Schray's attitude towards the team/$$ appears the exact opposite to a certain(slow-moving) politician's son. This kid might just HAVE the heart to play like a 210 LBer!

Guest Dasein

I am probably in the minority but I don't think we have seen a glimpse of what this guy can do.

I would not be surprised if he is our best player for a half a dozen games this year.

Archived