The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Can we be optimistic for next season?

Jordan Schroeder

I'm glad we have a new coach and a new voice for this hockey team to follow under but are you guys optimistic about next season?

I say this because we're essentially going to be the same team again minus a few depth positions. When the MG said we were going to reset after the playoffs I thought that the core would be tinkered with but we're going back into the season with the same group.

The same group that gave us two straight boring regular seasons and underachieving playoffs where we got owned badly. The same group where our Star players are declining statically the last few seasons.I find it will be extremely difficult to make the playoffs with this team in a harder division.

Only real change is that we'll have David Booth but he has not exactly stayed healthy or made me optimistic about him in the top 6. I guess the two real spots that the 2 young players can fight for is the 3rd line C position and a winger spot left by the departure of Raymond.

Torts better make a huge impact in coaching or we'll end up in massive disappointment like the last 2 seasons.

Thoughts?

Not optimistic. The only way we have any chance of contending is if Kassian and Schroeder become very good 2nd/3rd liners. If they don't, we have absolutely no depth.

It's a lot to ask for from two young guys who have yet to solidify themselves as legit NHLers.

However, I am excited, just 'cause I wanna see Torts in action :D

Well the goalie controversy is over, hopefully plus we got a better prospect pool now. We might not be favourites but at least we can be optimistic about some of our younger guys. We are also going to make the playoffs most likely and as we've seen in the past few years, every team thats majes the playoffs has a legitmate chance of winning (the conspiracy theorist may disagree tho).

It will be more harder, yes, but it's not at all impossible. The Canucks WILL get to where they have to go, as long as they stay consistent as possible. From my preference, I honestly think this is a more well-rounded team than last year. New coach who pushes his players to do their best, good depth... so, yeah I'm pretty confident.

Okay, it'll be harder. But our players will be playing harder under Torterella, this isn't a good ol' boys club anymore.

That, coupled with the fact Luongo will come back ready to try to prove he's the next Olympic Canadian starting goaltender based on early season play, and also based on we now have essentially a group of 3-4 top notch prospects that could jump into the lineup and do some real damage, I'm actually optimistic.

The division is harder, but we're getting tougher with Torts and younger with our top notch prospects. I'll expect Torts to light a fire under players such as Edler and such as well, and we all know what Edler is capable of when fired up. I also think the Richardson signing was under rated. This guy is a proven depth centerman on a stanley cup championship team. When's the last time we had that in a 3rd/4th line center?

I don't see how anybody thought we'd have a better team this year than last year given that the salary cap dropped a couple million dollars. When you're forced to play certain players because their cheaper and you can't sign any established players to fill holes, you will get worse.

That said, I see this season as a transition year. Once the cap rises again after this season we can sign some people, our prospects will be a year more experienced and then MG can build this team back up.

I don't see how anybody thought we'd have a better team this year than last year given that the salary cap dropped a couple million dollars. When you're forced to play certain players because their cheaper and you can't sign any established players to fill holes, you will get worse.

That said, I see this season as a transition year. Once the cap rises again after this season we can sign some people, our prospects will be a year more experienced and then MG can build this team back up.

Not optimistic. Not pessimistic. Just a wait and see attitude. Didn't really like the Tortarella signing but we could have done worse. Too early to tell if the Schneider deal was good or bad. I obviously like our prospect pool much better, which was something we were lacking. I've rightly and wrongly criticized Gillis' moves before so hopefully this falls in the "wrongly" category. Next summer is the year we'll see real changes to this team if they come up well short in playoffs again. Hands were really tied this year due to the new CBA and salary cap.

For all the negativity surounding the team we're still pretty good on paper. Luongo is still a top 10 goalie. The Sedins are still elite players and are only 32. Not past their prime by any stretch. Kesler is still a fantastic 2 way center when healthy. And we have a solid and deep defensive group with Garrison Hamhuis Edler and Bieksa. Realisticly next year may be more of a transition year. If I were betting I wouldn't pick us to go super deep in the playoffs. But I like the direction we're heading in overall. I think Tortarella can really get a lot more out of some of the more enigmatic Canucks like Edler. And we have a decent group of prospects that he'll help develop. If Kassian has a breakout year (which I think he's right on the verge of) it could make all the difference. People who think we'll change this team through free agency are being unrealistic. We need to refresh our depth and that'll happen by developing prospects.

Archived