758 pts in 906 GP

Art Ross Trophy - 2011

Ted Lindsay Award - 2011

Henrik Sedin

792 pts in 940 GP

Hart Memorial Trophy - 2010

Art Ross Trophy - 2010

The Topic

In lieu of Pavel Bure's jersey retirement announcement, I began to think of who may be next in line for the organization. If the Sedins were to retire today, they would go out as #1 and #2 on the franchise's all-time scoring list. Numbers 3, 4 and 5? Naslund, Linden and Smyl. So lets just assume that 22 & 33 will be hanging up there one day.

At 32 years old (33 at the season's start in October), the twins still have at least a few more high quality seasons left in them. So my question is this: What do Daniel & Henrik Sedin have to do to become Hockey Hall of Famers?

Is it as easy as a couple hundred more points and an (elusive) Stanley Cup? Or are they miles away? Or, by chance, do you feel they are already potential HOFers?

They may well wind up in the HHoF as the most successful twins with their back to back scoring titles. Something of a novelty right there in NHL history. Plus they do have their Olympic gold already. Without a cup I could see them being inducted eventually but not an immediate shoe-in.

They may well wind up in the HHoF as the most successful twins with their back to back scoring titles. Something of a novelty right there in NHL history. Plus they do have their Olympic gold already. Without a cup I could see them being inducted eventually but not an immediate shoe-in.

1000 points each and a cup would do it.

Baggins called them a novelty, which they are, but how many twosomes (brothers twins or otherwise) re-wrote play styles and gave the game of hockey a whole new look? Without substantial speed or size, the Sedin's are absolute masters of puck control, the cycle, they routinely display absolute wizardry passing and handling the puck.

Whats holding them back is their career point / game, a reflection that they in fact caught on quite late. They were not top class players till 26 or 28 years of age. But if I'm not mistaken they have led the league in scoring the last 5 years and have been virtually unstoppable.

If they can score 75 or 80 points a season the next 3 years that gets them to 1000 points. Add a couple of deep play off runs, and it could be as good an 8 year run as any ever seen? Yip that and a cup would do it!

I remember having a discussion about whether or not Naslund would be in the HOF, and what he would need to do at around the age fo 32. At the same time, Daniel Alfredsson had around the same numbers. Still believe Naslund is the better player, but it all depends how their careers wind up. Alfredsson, imo was an above average hockey player that was lucky to get a golden opportunity. He was rarely ever the leading scorer of his team, but stayed on the same team and got opportunities to play with really good players. Naslund on the other hand, when on the best of his game, had an unfortunate incident that ended up changing the teams core and nobody on that team was ever the same.

Well. Ones a potential HOF candidate, the other one probably won't have a chance. All the Twins need to do, is put up Alfredsson production and add along those Art Ross trophies, they'll be candidates no problem. If they end up anything like Naslund, then well. At least they'll have their jerseys retired..

They're twins and they have been elite players for several years. They will likely get in for the fact that they're twins if for no other reason. From a merit based standpoint they haven't earned it yet but their careers aren't over yet either. We'll just have to wait and see what they can do in the coming years.

The longer they continue to play and put up points like they have from 05/06 to present, the greater their chances of getting in increases. If they play for 6 more years, without a doubt because both should be at ~1100 pts (that's only a 55pg average the next 6 years, should easily be doable). However, if they only play 3 more years, much tougher sell because they don't have super incredible statistics. In either case, another cup run would help and a cup win would most definitely help.

The Stat Lines

Daniel Sedin

758 pts in 906 GP

Art Ross Trophy - 2011

Ted Lindsay Award - 2011

Henrik Sedin

792 pts in 940 GP

Hart Memorial Trophy - 2010

Art Ross Trophy - 2010

The Topic

In lieu of Pavel Bure's jersey retirement announcement, I began to think of who may be next in line for the organization. If the Sedins were to retire today, they would go out as #1 and #2 on the franchise's all-time scoring list. Numbers 3, 4 and 5? Naslund, Linden and Smyl. So lets just assume that 22 & 33 will be hanging up there one day.

At 32 years old (33 at the season's start in October), the twins still have at least a few more high quality seasons left in them. So my question is this: What do Daniel & Henrik Sedin have to do to become Hockey Hall of Famers?

Is it as easy as a couple hundred more points and an (elusive) Stanley Cup? Or are they miles away? Or, by chance, do you feel they are already potential HOFers?

If they weren't twins I almost don't think they would make it, but because they are I beleive there is little doubt that they will make it. Maybe not first ballot, but I they will at some point.

Archived