The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Best/Worst moves

supermanbieksa

BEST was getting the team tougher so we didn't have to watch scenes of prison sex on ice anymore. Worst was making Luongo captain. Ever seen a pulled goalie? Is that captain material????? 2nd worse was not getting a role player center as we went into the playoffs this year.

Searched the forums and didn't really find a topic like this, I apologise right now if a thread like this has already been made.

Mike Gillis gets flamed alot on this board, but what are the best/worst moves he has done as a gm of thsi franchise over the years he's been here?

In my opinion he has made some great and some bad decisions.

The best moves

1. Signing of Hamhuis, our most important d in my opinion.

2. Signing of Ehrhoff(regardless of what happened when his contract expired, we couldn't match the offer the Sabres offered him)

3. Signing of Demitra, this signing showed that big names wanted to sign here.

4. Finding Tanev, Tanev was under the radar for many teams and MG just went and picked him up. (he just has to re-sign him...)

5. Are many split opinions on this one but Sundin signing. I believe he was a major factor in Keslers development. and at that moment we hade the cap space to sign him at that salary.

6. Signing Manny Malhotra, he was a key component in the 10/11 season, just so unlucky with the injury.

The worst moves

1. The whole Luongo/Schneider controversy that he put on the team, after all that we only ended up with a 9th overall pick and a pissed off Luongo

2. Grabner + 1st for Ballard. Looked ok at the moment, but we had just signed Hamhuis for a top four role, and ballard simply aint a bottom pair d-man. Meanwhile Grabner has developed into a solid top 6 forward, and is one of the fastest skaters in the game. I guess Gillis was considering either Raymond or Grabner for this trade and if we look at it know, Grabner > Raymond. And who know that would have happend with the 1st round pick if we still had it. can't remember who Florida picked with the pick though.

3. Hodgson + Sulzer for Kassian + Gragnani. It might be that Hodgson really wanted to leave, but I really didn't like what MG said to the media after the trade, shows little respect to the players on the organisation. And it didn't send a good message to players who might want to come here in the future.

4. Letting Torres walk, Torres was a force of nature when he was on his game. and the rumours says he tried to trade for him at this years deadline, which just shows how big of a mistake it was to let him walk.

5. This one might just be me but Connauton + 2nd for Roy. Just a bad move IMO, Roy was not the player we needed at the moment and Roy had close to no impact what so ever in the playoffs. So we basically just gave away a decent prospect and a valuable pick in a deep draft for a bad short-term solution.

That's my take on Gillis, you will probaly disagree and agree at some points.

Cheers!

i don't know how people can judge the goalie issue unless they were privy to all the information...gillis did have a pre notion of what he thought lu was worth...that was his mistake....supposedly a deal was worked out with toronto and lu nixed it...when he finally agreed to go to toronto, they would only give a second round pick and wanted vancouver to keep some of his salary...i doubt, i would have handled it any different...with hindsight, maybe....

i never liked grabner and never believed he'ld make this team...florida gave up on him too....i don't think we lost much there.

ballard looked like a solid pick up at the time but injuries and poor play kept him out of the top 4 d-men....

booth may still turn out ok, if he can stay healthy.

canucks had to get tougher, so when hodgson wanted out, his scouts told him, that kassian had the potential to be that...he still might be.

torres was a marked man with the nhl...gillis offered him a one year contract, but he chose a two year deal with pheonix...

sundin turned out good for when he was here for.. he helped kesler become a better player..

we needed a third line center last, so he picked up roy...it didn't work out that well but, how many hockey experts would have been all over him, if he hadn't done anything...

his so called bad deals were calculated risks..right or wrong, he tried to make this team better....it is easy for us to make trades and pick ups because we never have to stand behind the deals we would have made.

all and all, i think gillis has done a pretty good job..keeping AV, after he took over the team was sheer genius...i hated to see AV go, because he was the best coach we've ever had here, along with pat quinn.

Oh gee no other Hockey players could possibly fit that bill... I guess if we had Evander or Patrick Kane we would have traded them away for scraps too. What about some of the elite russian players I guess we're glad we don't have any russian superstar that may fit that bill. :picard: As it stands we only have MG's word that this was the case anyways. Even if that was the case he should have shopped Hodgson and done a deal in the offseason and not at the trade deadline.

Even if Kassian becomes a true PWF in this league the Canucks lost their swagger and the depth at Center the very second after that trade happened.

Best.

Hamhuis

Ehrhoff

Signing people for lower than free agent value

Sundin, because watching him score that ot shootout goal in Toronto was worth it.

His unknown picks from outside of the chl

Worst

NTCs

Length of Luongos contract

Constant trading of 2nd round picks.

Best:

Hamhuis

Garrison

Worst:

Goalie Fiasco

Not signing players for specific postions, namely second line RW

Too many second/third line tweeners

Never got an elite player with size for the Sedins

Edler signing

Higgins Signing

Too many LD's

NTC's for everyone

and they became harder to play against... you don't get a Kassian for cheap. There are lots of Coho and Shrodosmurfs, just ask Roy, but rarely a Kassian. It was a trade for the future, one you will be enjoying.

Oh gee no other Hockey players could possibly fit that bill... I guess if we had Evander or Patrick Kane we would have traded them away for scraps too. What about some of the elite russian players I guess we're glad we don't have any russian superstar that may fit that bill. :picard: As it stands we only have MG's word that this was the case anyways. Even if that was the case he should have shopped Hodgson and done a deal in the offseason and not at the trade deadline.

Even if Kassian becomes a true PWF in this league the Canucks lost their swagger and the depth at Center the very second after that trade happened.

Evander and Patrick Kane earn their ice time from the way they play, they don't get out performed by the guys ahead of them and demand more ice time through daddy. That is the difference, for the record I'd take Patrick Kane but I'd pass on Evander.

Archived