The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Roberto Luongo play for an NHL team other than Vancouver before he retires?

-Vintage Canuck-

Will Roberto Luongo play for an NHL team other than Vancouver before he retires?  

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely. But not for another 3-5 years. By that point he'll have relatively little in real money dollars left on his contract and will be an easy trade to a team that never spends to the cap and even struggles to reach the floor. By that point Lack will be ready to take over as the #1 as well. He's not going anywhere in the short term though. If a trade was possible we'd have made it already. He knows this. He may not like it but he'll play here if that's his only option.

I have a feeling they will buy out his deal after the season.

With the new CBA cap recapture rules his contract will be a burden even if he was traded. A buyout is the only way to get out from under it.

I think they just want to burn another year off before they need to write him a fat buyout cheque.

I think he is coming back to Vancouver with an assurance from management that he will continue to pursue a trade. Of course, this will take some time to happen. I'm sure he really enjoys living 5000km away from his family. I think he'll be gone by 2015 season.

Yes he will absolutely play for another team. Whether it is via buyout if he doesn't play to expectations this season or not he will play for another team and have his jersey and # retired as a Canuck for being the greatest goalie to ever play between our pipes. The most likely scenario is with the cap estimate at around $84 million for 2019-2020 is his contract and cap hit get traded for a comparable shorter term contract or packaged and traded for a pick/prospect/roster player to a team desperate to reach the cap floor and get more attendance via a big name later on in his career. Regardless he is and forever will be our Captain Lou and I am glad he played here and stole the show to many times to count

Yeah, all it's going to take is one team deciding that they actually want him. There were takers before the start of last season and at some point there probably will be again. Its already become abundantly clear that Luongo himself really doesn't want to be here anymore. When that happens with a player, a trade is usually not too far away.

I think this might be his last year with the Canucks. In my opinion the only reason he'll play here at all and not hold out is so he can play in the Olympics. He now has two brand new agents who have probably been instructed to work feverishly at getting him out of Vancouver by the next trade deadline or offseason.

Ummm it breaks my heart to say I think he will. He has the clause in his contact that he can demand a trade before 2014 season is concluded and MG has to do it :/

We're screwed. Most our fans and all of our management deserve it though :(

Ummm it breaks my heart to say I think he will. He has the clause in his contact that he can demand a trade before 2014 season is concluded and MG has to do it :/

We're screwed. Most our fans and all of our management deserve it though :(

Im sorry but I stand by it.

at times well over 50% of canucks fans have been against lui or have bashed him. Am I wrong? I would know... im the one that has been laughed at in work... at school... on the forums and in bars. I've had people bash lui even on vacation in Mexico or Canadians in Europe.

People hate luongo. Its a little less now ... it'll always fluctuate. Some people are classless and just hate.

its hilarious how people love to assume every single canuck fan is on here so they can spout off how they know how each and ever fan feels about a certain situation

oh wow you found some people you have met that have bashed luongo outside the forum still doesn't make up for the rest of the fans so there is 0 proof to your 50 percent of canuck fans hate luongo

also i don't hate him its called criticism and i expect a certain level of consistency from a goalie especially one given a retirement contract

as for the question i do see him playing somewhere else most likely will find a way to get to florida over the next couple of years

still doesn't account for every canuck fan you haven't met so again don't generalize and you should really tone down the fanboyism over luongo he has been a great regular season goalie so far and 1 good/great playoff run other than that he really has nothing to show in terms of trophies in the nhl that is pure fact

so tell me where's his vezina or stanley cup goalies with lesser teams have done more than he has again fact

you can think its accurate all you want but unless you can poll every canuck fan you won't know whether its accurate or not

i have nothing against him he has accomplished a lot for this team but again his consistency will be his downfall you never know which luongo will show up you can spout his regular season number and him being a top 10 goalie but their are goalies that have accomplished more than he as in a few years compared to his career again fact

He was robbed of the vezina by the eastern media once. And what he did for us in the scf was greater than most goalies actually winning a cup.

2 games won 1-0 ...

Canucks didn't show up for six and a half games and luongo forced game seven.

Can't wait to see your face when he's in the hall of fame.

Sorry Apollo, Brodeur beat him for the Vezina fair and square. Luongo was amazing that year but Brodeur trumped him by a little bit in every category and by a country mile in shutouts.

Chances are also that if Luongo continues down the path of good regular seasons with no awards to show for it, added with overall mediocrity in the playoffs with no Cup and or Conn Smythe, he wont make the HHOF either. Maybe he will, but I for one believe that guys like Mike Vernon, Curtis Joseph, and Chris Osgood should probably go in first.

Archived