The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst GM in last 5 years?

Drouin

Feaster, folks?!

Really?!!!

That guy has a frigging Cup ring.

The reigning crap GM since he got the job is Paul Holmgren.

He treats the Flyers like a BeAGM mode in the EA Hockey vid game series.

His moves have been so mind boggling. Totally baffling. He must be drunk on the job.

That team was primed to be Blackhawk-esque with excellent drafted and developed players. And he effed it all away.

Its comedic.

Awful GM.

Howsen has to take the cake with all the potential with the high draft picks they had which seem to regularly turn into busts.

Honorable mention of course to Feaster, Holmgren, and Tambellini.

Burke did a bad job record wise, but the team he built made the playoffs and were close to making noise last year, the only reason TO let him go was because the new ownership/management group did not like his management style particularly in relation to his stubbornness and relationship with the media.

Howson actually made some good moves.

I'm surprised so few mentioned Garth Snow.

Even if he drafted and added a few good young players to the mix, he hasn't gotten anything out of the team for years. I'm always in favor of the underdog, and have long been waiting for them to even make the playoffs. They finally did, and were out pretty fast.

He made some good moves early on, but that should have translated into something bigger already. To me it feels like they are content with the battle for last place every year. This said with no insult intended towards them - if that's possible.

And I hope this pasty season was a permanent move into the playoff race for them, but I feel like it was kind of a lucky strike due to the shortened season.

- Spooshy -

In the last year the winner goes to Jay Feaster.

In the last two years Mike Gillis.

In the last 3 years Paul Holmgren.

In the last 4 years Brian Burke.

In the last 5 years it is a tie between Kevin Lowe and Glen Sather.

I know Lowe stepped down a few years ago only because he would have been fired had he stayed on.

I'm surprised so few mentioned Garth Snow.

Even if he drafted and added a few good young players to the mix, he hasn't gotten anything out of the team for years. I'm always in favor of the underdog, and have long been waiting for them to even make the playoffs. They finally did, and were out pretty fast.

He made some good moves early on, but that should have translated into something bigger already. To me it feels like they are content with the battle for last place every year. This said with no insult intended towards them - if that's possible.

And I hope this pasty season was a permanent move into the playoff race for them, but I feel like it was kind of a lucky strike due to the shortened season.

- Spooshy -

Snow made some stupid moves bringing in vets like Jay Pandawful,Brian Rolston,Steve Staios and Mike Mottau etc. I also question his coaching choices as well. But if you look at the brilliant waiver wire pickups like Grabner,Nabakov,Hickey,Strait and signings like Moulson,PA Parenteau, Colin McDonald and Brad Boyes for nothing. Not to mention the prospect pool the Isles have amassed and have more cap space than any other team in the league I think the Isles are the envy of most teams in the NHL.

I understand why people have become impatient with Snow but to be fair when your team is leading the league with man games lost to injury every year only allowed to spend to the cap floor and your number 1 goalie has played less than 50 games in that time, you have a pretty good reason for why they placed where they did. If these circumstances happened to most teams they would be in the same predicament. Actually the voting for GM of the year this year Snow ranked 5th or 6th which I believe was ahead of Mike Gillis.

of all time would be milbury.

Absolutely Joe. That twit could kill a team in a span of 20 games to start a season with his moves.

Worst in the last 2 Feaster, 5 Lowe/ Sutter they destroyed any chance their teams had at contending and Feaster is there to drive the final nails into the coffin for the SHAMES . Seeing it first hand here in Calgary is really...... well priceless actually :D :emot-parrot: Last 10 I cant think that far back right now lol

Montreals old GM after bob gainey, unless that was him that traded McDonough for Gomez. And whoever signed all those smurf ufa. I'd also but tambillini in there as he did nothing but pick 1st overall 3 years in a row. Brutal. Has feaster even been GM of the flames for 5 years yet? I'd say gillis is worse then him or on par.. Gillis trades are all awful except for erhoff and Higgins pick up, he totally effed around Lou and Cory. , and traded away coho, pissed off manny and is making the Canucks a laughing stock

• 3 months later...

Feaster duh...

Edit... oops I change my mind actually. Ill go Holmgren worst, feaster second worst.

But I want to mention Ray Shero as well... he isn't the worst but man has this guy mmade some bad decisions

He's lucky he drafted Sid and Malkin. Shoulda had two cups at least. Terrible choices have led him to not having a dynasty

It's a toss up between Feaster and Holmgren. I give it to Holmgren. Feaster took a crappy team and kept it crappy. Holmgren to a good team, poured gas on it, lit a match and then accidentaly pissed on himself while trying to piss on the ashes.

Holmgren got Leino, Coburn, Hartnell, and Timonen for a couple plugs, a late pick, and a 1st rounder. Leino is gone now but he was key in their run to the cup. Maybe he is a little drastic but definitely not the worst GM in the last five years.

And he didn't give up Richards and Carter for nothing. He got Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, Voracek, Couterier, and some picks. That is quite the return. The Bryzgalov signing was heavily pushed by ownership as well.

The only thing I really have against him is the way he treated Gange and Briere. They did a lot for the organization.

As baffling as Milbury was. When your owner seems to not give a damn about the team, then lets Milbury go, only to hire Neil Smith, which looked like a good choice. Only to have Smith leave in 30 days, and then to hire a backup goaltender as GM.

What are the odds your team will be competitive?

Archived