The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article, Globe And Mail.) Canucks GM to blame for Roberto Luongo soap opera.....Luongos former agent speaks

naslund.is.king

I think you might have missed my positive comment about AV in its total context. A coach's style and approach is not inherently good or inherently bad (unless they are just a totally useless coach which I have never said AV is). It can be either relative to the current needs and state of the team. When AV first came to Van and replaced Crawford, the team, much like the Rangers now, had enough of a disciplinarian type coach. So bringing in a more relaxed, player friendly coach was exactly what they needed to find their way again at that point in time. Fast forward to this year and the exact opposite is true with a group of players who spent several years with him and grew too comfortable just as he grew to attached to certain ones.

That brings me to my current complaints about how AV's coaching has cost this team at critical times. The worst part about the Canucks in the playoffs is not really the fact that they lose. You are right that it happens to all teams and winning is not easy. It is HOW they have lost that irritates me though. They had no business losing the last two series the way they did. They did not even put up a fight the last two series nor in a critical game 7 in the SCF. They played scared and kept sticking with a failed coaching strategy that was long since figured out and countered very effectively by the other coaching staff. THAT is what a good playoff coach does though. And AV has a long way to go to prove he is a great playoff coach. Changing a goalie and switching lines is useless when the strategy is failing and it stays exactly the same. AV lost his objectivity and his ability to adapt in the playoffs went with it.

AV allowed his own biases overtake the best interests of the team and I am sure that happens with every long tenured coach eventually. With a team of aging veteran players though motivation had become an issue that AV was not the right guy to correct.

Duders, you still actually have no idea why you dislike AV. You have never EVER supported him and always added to the ridiculous mythologies.

An NHL coach must be biased. Their job is to engineer wins.

What has been always bothersome to me is that these AV "fails" most people lean on really have nothing to do with the coach.

It was the health of the roster and the skaters failing to execute AND not getting all-star goaltending at crucial junctures. Mix in murky officiating, and its clear.

Mixing lines up, "loving" utility players, not being good with youth blah blah blah...and all that effing BS is just that. BS.

Ive only ever had grievances with AV and the goalies. Awful decisions (considering he is usually good with hunches).

How AV not strangled the core for failure for execution will be a mystery to me. :P Though when some of those pieces are playing hurt, its understandable.

How is it Gillis' fault?

It was 100% Lupien's fault. Here is a quote from an article. For anyone who wants a source, google is NOT hard to use, so find it.

The Canucks approached the Luongo camp at the 2012 draft and asked, would he waive his no-trade clause for a deal to Toronto or Edmonton? Luongo, through Lupien, declined, believing the Panthers would make a play for him.

GG, Lupien

Duders, you still actually have no idea why you dislike AV. You have never EVER supported him and always added to the ridiculous mythologies.

An NHL coach must be biased. Their job is to engineer wins.

What has been always bothersome to me is that these AV "fails" most people lean on really have nothing to do with the coach.

It was the health of the roster and the skaters failing to execute AND not getting all-star goaltending at crucial junctures. Mix in murky officiating, and its clear.

Mixing lines up, "loving" utility players, not being good with youth blah blah blah...and all that effing BS is just that. BS.

Ive only ever had grievances with AV and the goalies. Awful decisions (considering he is usually good with hunches).

How AV not strangled the core for failure for execution will be a mystery to me. :P Though when some of those pieces are playing hurt, its understandable.

`The article makes it clear the outlook which caused Lou (and us) our problem. You don't have to read deep between the lines.

Lupien explained to Lou that the reason he was not traded was not his contract, but the Canucks expectations for return on a trade...

So said the guy who negotiated a $64 mill contract for his client! Look, I get that he's the players representative. But in an environment where the player gets paid max dollar and still thinks he can call the shots. Not just insist that he gets a trade, but where and that the team should set their level of expectation based on getting his client what he wants.

Archived