The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Franson to be moved?

With Hamhuis even strength, and Garrison on the 1st PP.

He won't come cheap, but he won't be too expensive either. The longer it goes on, the cheaper he'll get.

Off topic, but I just found out that the Leaf's kept 50% salary on both Frattin and Scrivens in the Bernier trade.

That's $1 million total. Another salary cap hindrance.

The Leafs are going to be an abject abomination next year.

Let see, this offseason so far: They buyout their second best posession player who got screwed over by the new coach and let their best possession player walk. All of this while signing a player with 1 season of more than 40 points for 7 years at 5.25 mil per, signing Bozak for forever for too much money, and trading for Bolland. Sure sounds like a team bound to make the playoffs. :picard:

He might have to because he wants too much and they don't have the cap to sign both him and Kadri.

Think of it like this:

6m in cap,

Kadri=3.75-4m?

2m left, Franson wants North of that.. why would he take a discount? I think the Leafs would let him walk and give that spot in the top-6 to Ranger or more likely Morgan Rielly.

You make a great point but again with The Laffs owning his right, the ball is stiil sorta in their court. Nonis can sit on him and make him hold out, wait for a team to send him an offer sheet thus either matching it and having an asset locked up or accept the compensation rewarded to them. Now I cant see a team willing to send a high offer sheet unless they want to cough up a 1st and 3rd. All likelyhood it would be a 2nd, which depending where said team places, it could be a high 2nd or a low 2nd.

Being in a media hotbed also has its advantages. If Nonis' cousin Darren and TSN can stir up interest, perhaps the trade route could be more lucrative. Could fetch a decent trade partner..... Philly is ALWAYS in the thick of any rumour

Again.... I seriously dont see Nonis giving him away.

Yeah Nonis's start hasn't been too good :lol: Overpays on a few contracts, holds back salary in those trades, caught in a tight cap situation.

Anyways still Franson isn't that good, he has been sheltered throughout his career and needs to be sheltered, playing him with Hamhuis isn't what we want. I would rather just play Bieksa with him if we have to play an inconsistent RH Dman thats prone to errors defensively alongside him.

I would rather trade Bieksa for help at forward and bring in Franson to replace him if the trade cost was cheap enough. Franson is just as good defensively, better offensively especially on the PP, and more consistently physical. Younger and probably cheaper as well.

And yes, I know Bieksa has a NTC. Players waive them all the time especially when they do not seem to want the type of coach they just got....;)

I would touch this deal

I do not likle Nonis and no thanks to dealing with him- he clearly does not know how to value players

-can you believe he said no to Luongo for two 2nds and ben scrivens??? I mean Bernier cost more in the trade than Luongo,

honestly if I was the owner, I would have fired him for not taking that trade and ravaging the canucks.

Franson has seriously had one solid 48 games season and that is all- he plays in a more laissez-faire type of hockey conference where D fense is not as rigorous so who is to say he would do well here- also why would we put him on the PP when we have edler, garrison, hamhuis, Bieksa, Weber, who have all demonstrated more PP ability over their careers than Franson.

Unless Bieksa wants out, you do not move that guy who loves playing here so much, he is a leader on the team and while he probably plays too much, Franson is not an upgrade on him.

We need help on 3C and in the top 6- like a legit threat to play on the 2nd line- the last thing we need is another overpaid D man who slots somewhere between 3-5 - I think we have like 5 of those guys

I would touch this deal

I do not likle Nonis and no thanks to dealing with him- he clearly does not know how to value players

-can you believe he said no to Luongo for two 2nds and ben scrivens??? I mean Bernier cost more in the trade than Luongo,

honestly if I was the owner, I would have fired him for not taking that trade and ravaging the canucks.

Franson has seriously had one solid 48 games season and that is all- he plays in a more laissez-faire type of hockey conference where D fense is not as rigorous so who is to say he would do well here- also why would we put him on the PP when we have edler, garrison, hamhuis, Bieksa, Weber, who have all demonstrated more PP ability over their careers than Franson.

Unless Bieksa wants out, you do not move that guy who loves playing here so much, he is a leader on the team and while he probably plays too much, Franson is not an upgrade on him.

We need help on 3C and in the top 6- like a legit threat to play on the 2nd line- the last thing we need is another overpaid D man who slots somewhere between 3-5 - I think we have like 5 of those guys

If Bieksa actually played with snarl more than 5 times per season anymore that might be true. Unfortunately he is more fat cat veteran than anything nowadays. The best thing for him in Van would be having him actually held accountable when he mails it in for 3/4 of the season like he has the last two years especially. Hopefully Torts does not buy into his "importance" to the team the way AV did and gives him a free pass.

Archived