The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau: Legalize Weed

mbal23

Anyone who thinks that people that are pro-legalization think it will stop all gang activity are way, WAY bigger idiots.

Legalizing will REDUCE criminal involvement and hence profit.

Just like smokes or alcohol. Can you buy black market smokes/"moonshine"? Absolutely you can! But by far the predominant purchasing of both is via licensed, legal retail outlets.

The entire purpose of legalization is harm minimization. Only a simpleton would try to make such an obviously flawed, over simplified reduction to black and white as that.

Anyone who thinks legalization/decriminalization will stop gang activity is simply an idiot. It's not going to stop criminals from either smuggling it, nor is it going to stop them from producing it and selling it on the streets.

one last argument for legalization I want to point out:

it would put an end to employer harassment regarding marijuana...

Marijuana stays in your system longer then just about any "Hard drug"

yet when employers drug test you, they treat it the exact same way as if your on heroin....

smoking a joint on the weekend and going to work on Monday has absolutely no effect on your abilities to do your job... Yet a person can get fired/ be in fear of their livelihood for the simple crime of lighting up a joint...

Alcoholics who are a far bigger hazard to the workforce can EASILY defeat this.... they can literally drink before they come to work, and still not set off any triggers..

Stop harassment of casual marijuana smokers!

Not completely convinced that Trudeau is the one to lead the country, but this definitely makes me like him more.

I'll say it again, but this whole situation about marijuana is being argued on the wrong premise. Gang activity? Smuggling? Black market? What about fundamental human liberties?

What right does the government have in saying that I cannot intake a drug that does not DIRECTLY harm others? Why is it illegal for me to roll up a joint and smoke it in the safety of my home on property that I own.

and you automatically assume "bigger drugs" are going to have the same demand as marijuana...

the fact that you still compare marijuana with actual hard drugs that come with physical addiction speaks of your dinosaur mindset...

if only people worried about their own business', and not demand laws that make others live according to their principles... The world would become a utopia..

Did I say that I am against legalizing it in my post ? All I did was state a consequence that has a high chance of occurring in BC if weed is legalized. I'm all for it but the demand for cocaine, ecstasy etc will increase by a huge margin as soon as marijuana is legalized. Again I'm just stating a consequence that would likely occur.

This will be spun as him being soft on crime.

Meanwhile, he's right. The 'war on drugs' has been a complete failure world-wide. Unless you see it for what it is: A smokescreen set up to justify the US's direct control of latin america. Meanwhile, the 'war on terror' is a smokescreen set up to justify the US's direct control of the middle east. Work in progress.

Did I say that I am against legalizing it in my post ? All I did was state a consequence that has a high chance of occurring in BC if weed is legalized. I'm all for it but the demand for cocaine, ecstasy etc will increase by a huge margin as soon as marijuana is legalized. Again I'm just stating a consequence that would likely occur.

Legalize everything. Privatize heathcare. Create work camps in the north for vagrants. Recycle unproductive vagrants into nutritious protein paste. Donate protein paste to Africa.

Look for Il Duce on your ballot next election.

Anyone who thinks legalization/decriminalization will stop gang activity is simply an idiot. It's not going to stop criminals from either smuggling it, nor is it going to stop them from producing it and selling it on the streets.

Just to play Devil's advocate: It can't hurt the situation but until it's fully legalized in the US there will still be a huge (biggest? 2nd biggest? HELLO CHINA) market in the world to promote illegal production / smuggling.

It's the weekend and I'm not going to "hash it out" with the weed crowd but I've read that things aren't perfect over in the Netherlands either.

Archived