The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau: Legalize Weed

mbal23

There is NO evidence to this statement. Alcohol is a drug, and I am pretty sure most people drink that before moving to marijuana. Let's ban that too. Oh wait, last time that happened, it failed miserably. For all scientific purposes, alcohol is a much "harder" drug than marijuana. If you have ever drank even a drop of alcohol, you're a hypocrite. By your own definition, you're a drug addict.

The whole 'marijuana leads to harder drugs' is a myth created by the Reagan administrations "War on Drugs", which is one of the biggest policy fails, in the United States's history

Do you honestly think that the average drug dealer who ONLY sells weed will just quit once it is legalized? Just like my source of income is a job a drug dealers is selling drugs, so if it were to be legalized I'm sure almost every drug dealer would move on to selling something else.

I am only talking about BC not the whole world here, from my expericence I know for a fact that 80-90 percent of drug dealers here only sell weed. So if it was legalized today I'm sure most of them would move on to selling something else. It's pretty obvious weed is in a higher demand among other drugs.

Why are people twisting my words here? I did not for once say I want to "ban" anything here I just stated an effect LIKELY to occur if marijuana is legalized.

I love how the guy who's name is 'commonsence' is the farthest from that.

Legalization is a complete no brainer.

I know a handful of dealers who sell just weed, and I have has this conversation with a couple of them. The two I talked to are 100% against legalization because their business is done. Most people don't want to take the step up to cocaine and such because the penalty is way to big a risk. You can get busted with pot, and you are back selling it the next day. It will get rid of a huge majority of dealers. Period. You will never stop gang crime/violence. But to be able to take so many off the street with such a simple solution AND make a ton of cash off taxes, seems ridiculous not to do it.

Personally, if I could stop at the store and pick up a pack'o'fatties instead of meeting up with a sketchy stranger and giving him my money, if be all over it ;)

The thing that impressed me most about Trudeau's announcement is that he was originally against it 3 years ago, but said his mind was changed after doing research, reading reports, and being presented with facts. That is exactly the type of person I want leading the country.

The thing I like least about the Conservatives is that they govern by ideology and proudly state that they "don't govern by statistics" (which was their reason for gutting the long-form census). Crime's going down? Build more prisons and get tough on crime. Need accurate demographic information for budget planning and allocation? frack it, we'll just guess.

I'll take Trudeau on this one.

The thing I like least about the Conservatives is that they govern by ideology and proudly state that they "don't govern by statistics" (which was their reason for gutting the long-form census). Crime's going down? Build more prisons and get tough on crime.

Weed is in higher demand therefore a large percentage of people are selling it, now if you were to legalize it that large percentage will LIKELY replace it with something else. You took my second point completely out of context.

Do you honestly think that the average drug dealer who ONLY sells weed will just quit once it is legalized? Just like my source of income is a job a drug dealers is selling drugs, so if it were to be legalized I'm sure almost every drug dealer would move on to selling something else.

I am only talking about BC not the whole world here, from my expericence I know for a fact that 80-90 percent of drug dealers here only sell weed. So if it was legalized today I'm sure most of them would move on to selling something else. It's pretty obvious weed is in a higher demand among other drugs.

Why are people twisting my words here? I did not for once say I want to "ban" anything here I just stated an effect LIKELY to occur if marijuana is legalized.

1) "Likely" is highly debatable. You're making a GIANT assumption based on nothing but your mis-informed bias.

2) Who are they selling to? The point you stated yourself is that weed is in far higher demand/the vast majority of their customer base. If that customer base goes elsewhere...who exactly are they selling these harder drugs to?

Being someone who works in an environment where people rather enjoy their cocaine, MDMA and heroin in BC I can tell you that they are all very easily accessible. Your individual experience is not empirical evidence, and it is not fact as you state. Your 80-90% number is pulled directly from your arse. If dealers switch to dealing harder drugs, it won't do much because everybody who wants those harder drugs are already getting it anyways. In addition there won't be dealers to lace weed to "help out" with the transition into harder drugs.

In short, it would matter that they were dealing harder drugs if there was a demand for those harder drugs. More dealers do not create more customers unless there are people who want it who aren't getting it, but everybody's getting it rather easily as it is.

If you cared to read properly I said "from MY EXPERIENCE". Weed is not difficult to get a hold of especially in BC. But growing up being surrounded by drugs etc some of the more dangerous drugs are much harder to attain and much more expensive. With the legalization of weed the prices of other drugs would reduce meaning it would be even more accessible for a addict and IMO a larger problem for everyone.

If you cared to read properly I said "from MY EXPERIENCE". Weed is not difficult to get a hold of especially in BC. But growing up being surrounded by drugs etc some of the more dangerous drugs are much harder to attain and much more expensive. With the legalization of weed the prices of other drugs would reduce meaning it would be even more accessible for a addict and IMO a larger problem for everyone.

1) "Likely" is highly debatable. You're making a GIANT assumption based on nothing but your mis-informed bias.

2) Who are they selling to? The point you stated yourself is that weed is in far higher demand/the vast majority of their customer base. If that customer base goes elsewhere...who exactly are they selling these harder drugs to?

Archived