The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau: Legalize Weed

mbal23

A stratified, random sample of 1,943 adolescents was recruited from secondary schools across Victoria, Australia at age 14–15 years. This cohort was interviewed on eight occasions until the age of 24–25 years. At age 24 years, 12% of the sample had used amphetamines in the past year, with 1%–2% using at least weekly. Young adult amphetamine use was predicted strongly by adolescent drug use and was associated robustly with other drug use and dependence in young adulthood. Associations were stronger for more frequent users. Among young adults who had not been using amphetamines at age 20 years, the strongest predictor of use at age 24 years was the use of other drugs, particularly cannabis, at 20 years.[12] Those who were smoking cannabis at the age of 15 were as much as 15 times more likely to be using amphetamines in their early 20s

I don't smoke weed, and I'm staunchly against kids using the stuff but i have to say Lockout is right about Gateway theory - which takes using Tobacco, Alcohol or Marijuana and measures the amount that it increases the probability that an individual will have:

a) the desire

b ) the access

to use stronger drugs. (Especially so for access - a la drug dealers vs a legal vendor if it's legalized.)

...edit: Lockout is the one who was talking about gateway theory

There's always going to be the individual who chases the stronger high and uses weed as an easily-accessible stepping stone - but the real danger is associating with a peer group who identify with drug use and push/encourage/provide each other to use stronger drugs.

There's always going to be the individual who chases the stronger high and uses weed as an easily-accessible stepping stone - but the real danger is associating with a peer group who identify with drug use and push/encourage/provide each other to use stronger drugs.

But that individual, for a variety of reasons, will always exist as long as we have dysfunction in our society.

Unless one believes that all intoxicants, recreational and medicinal, be banned outright then there is only the choice between punishment and education/treatment.

Am I not in the "cool" group if I classify someone as a weed smoker?It allegedly helps with depression. Okay. But legalizing it will release it for pleasure, not medicinal use where it can actually be useful. All this liberal government wants to to if Trudeau is elected is tax marijuana as a means of making money as many many people will buy it and there will be a huge increase in crime and drug addictions in Canada, guaranteed.

First of all, it isn't legal in Holland or Portugal, it's "decriminalized". If you are caught with it, the consequences are less but there are still consequences.If it was legal, I guarantee you there'd be increased crime rates and addictions.Where it is completely legal (North Korea), it is a bad example because North Korea has so many limitations being a communist nation, that crime is very low anyways.Bring it to a country like Canada, where freedom has no boundaries, and problems emerge. Big difference between "de-criminalization" and "legalization"As I read with Justin Trudeau, he wants to "legalize" it.That's where I'm coming from.

Archived