The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report]Edler may not be able to go to olympics because of Staal hit

canucks#01fan

It was a dumb hit, but if you watch in slow mo, Staal leaves his leg hanging and Edler leads with his shoulder to make a body check, but obviously nails his leg first.

I've seen alot worse hits in international tournaments that were much more intentional. I don't see any intent on that hit. Just an unfortunate one.

I think suspending him from the rest of the World Championships and missing out on celebrating gold with his team was punishment enough.

You're an idiot. Just because you like the Canucks doesn't mean a dirty hit isn't a dirty hit.

Wait until NYR plays the Canucks & Edler gets beat up. Then fans like you will be crying bloody murder but it all stems from a dirty hit. Almost all the ex-pros called it a dirty hit. How you can say otherwise either requires illegal substances or just a low IQ.

I like Edler and he hasn't done anything stupid like this before, but that doesn't mean this wasn't stupid.

Just reading the first post in this thread, two things pop into my head, and they are probably the two things that the majority of the other posters have mentioned already.

1. Edler's hit on stall was clean, smooth, crisp, and with excellent precision. If stall had not been running around cheap shotting people Edler wouldn't have had to stand up for his teammates like that. You play like that stall, you're gonna get it. Edler is a topnotch guy who plays the game tough but fair.

2. I hope he and all the Canucks don't play in the olympics. Olympics are silly anyway and the risk of him or another Canucks player getting injured is not worth it for the Canucks to claim the cup next year.

Steve just owned you with that troll attempt.

Staal leaves his leg hanging because he doesn't expect contact. He doesn't see it coming and has no chance to avoid contact. This is all on Edler and it was incredibly stupid to try to abort the hit once already committed (which would have been a fine hit as long as he didn't contact the head). Edler made a mistake and even though such things happen to the best of us he deserves his punishment (more than two games but no more than four is fair IMO) and will hopefully be more aware in future situations.

Well it's like when a player leaves his head down and gets hit. That player isnt expecting contact, but it happens.

The onus is clearly on Edler, but I don't think there was an intent. Just one of those plays where he committed to the hit and didn't try to avoid it when he should have. I don't think it was malicious in the slightest, and the only reason we're talking possible suspension is because of the extent of the injury to Staal.

If Staal gets up right away, I doubt he even gets suspended the rest of the world championships.

In my mind, as a selfish sports fan, whether or not Edler deserves to miss the Olympics is irrelevant. What is more important is that he gets refreshed over the 2 week break, heals some knocks and bruises, and comes back ready to rock on the way to the playoffs.

Completely different situation (obviously), but remember how badass Mikael Samuelsson played after missing out? Hopefully there will be motivation in Edlers heart either way, but rest will do anyone good over that break.

Due to fewer IIHF games and it being on the world stage, I completely agree with long term suspensions for incompetent plays. This isn't a 82 game season here. You are already in a playoff tournament once you start.

Three things:

1) It's not just my opinion, it was mentioned by someone that the majority of people in this thread agreed that Edlers' hit was clean.

B) You're a Rangers fan. Admit it. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

3) It has become obviously clear also, that you hate Edler. He's a good player, we should not be ragging on him like this. I'm so sick of some of these phony bandwagon fans attacking our players over the years. They did the same to Luongo and now people like you are doing it to Edler...

Edler isn't known to be a dirty player. It was an unfortunate hit and the subsequent injury was awful. Hockey is so fast that sometimes an intentionally good hit can turn into a really bad one.

That said, if it had been the other way around, we would all be screaming blue murder.

Archived