The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Signing) Wheeler with Jets

Kyosama

Pretty fair signing. Considering Kesler is 5M, scores at a 60 point pace and is a great penalty killer, Wheeler at just over is fair. He's getting better and better, much younger, scored at a higher pace last season and is an absolute giant on the ice compared to others. 5M for Kesler, 5.6M for Wheeler is fair, but compared to some of the joke signings around the league, this is a steal.

Honestly guys, even if he played in a "better market" he'd still ask for around that much so this was a good signing. I'm still disappointed the Jets missed the playoffs because I was intrested in seeing what he and Kane could do in the playoffs.

Honestly guys, even if he played in a "better market" he'd still ask for around that much so this was a good signing. I'm still disappointed the Jets missed the playoffs because I was intrested in seeing what he and Kane could do in the playoffs.

David Clarkson got paid 5 mil as a UFA, he has played at better than 0.5 PPG in one season.

Wheeler was on pace for 70+ points last season, put up 64 the season prior (the first season he was used as a first line player), and played at ~0.5 PPG in a 3rd and 4th line role on the Bruins. If you look at his PPG average the past 2 years, he's at the same level as Nash, Gaborik, Eric Staal, and many others who are getting much, much more money than him. On top of that he has great underlying numbers.

He's getting more money than Kane, because he consistently puts up better numbers than Kane. Don't see what the issue is there.

The word "Consistenly" should never be used when looking at 1 shortened season.

2011-2012 Wheeler had .8 PPG compared to Kane's .77. Kane had 30 goals compared to Wheelers 17. Dont know on what planet you would consider that a better season...

2010-2011 Kane had a better season

I think given the choice pretty much anyone in their right mind would take Kane over Wheeler, especially at a lower cap hit.

Also who said anything about Clarkson? He is grossly overpaid as well...

Maybe in 3 or 4 years, but right now anybody who has actually watched the team with any regularity the past 2 years (which I'm assuming you haven't, judging by your comments on the city) knows that Wheeler is a much better player right now. Kane got paid for his potential, he is definitely not worth what he is getting right now. Wheeler is the better deal of the two.

Archived