The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where does Kassian fit?

BlueLemming

I've always wanted to spread the Twins to different lines, at least part of the time. Several reasons;

- Having your two best passers on one line limits depth scoring is the biggest!

- Speaking of big, or fast, two thirds of our top line is not! Spreading them insulates from a coach using that to play match up's.

Look, I get it. They are so good together it boggles to split them I simply believe we can more out of the balance of our line up by having a play maker as talented as either on their line. Then we can have lines balanced with talent, speed and size, play making and goal scoring. At home where we can control match ups great! On the road, and we should be establishing during the year varying lines which can work in the play off's, use splitting the lines to make more lines effective!

But I like;

Danny/Kesler/Booth Speed, power, size, an elite play maker, a Selke winner plus 3 guys who can get 30 goals? Awesome line!

Burrows/Hank/Kassian Gives two polished passers to develop Kassian, who in turn gives two small guys :room!

The real beauty here? No way Keslers line, matched like it is here does not draw the top defensive match ups! Think how Burrows, Kassian and Hank will absolutely walk through and spit out second tier match ups???

Then;

Gaunce/Richardson/Hansen Gaunce add's size and talent, a touch of class to a very gritty 3rd line.

Higgins/Santorelli/Wiese Similarly Higgins add's class to a 4th which has not been effective for years!

Plus Higgins is also free to dbl shift on any forward line, in any situation that looks like it needs work rate. The PK, second PP, a big defensive shift, LW, RW... He's the ultimate utility winger, being on the 4th does not mean he has to play limited minutes!

It also recognizes that Higgins is average! He has average size, speed, talent, scoring, passing; he makes it because he outworks, out hustles, out digs match ups on the boards and usually out thinks other players plus has few weaknesses. It puts more talented players like Kassian, Booth and Gaunce into more critical positions, but leaves Torts the Hammer to slot in Higgins any time they are not matching the work rate which makes him tick!

The biggest thing for me is that you have two of the best play makers in the league feeding one guy only. The older they get, the more they are looking to pass. How many times last year did we see hank in the slot with the puck and he passed of to Daniel standing on the goal line. Well not allot, but, It is indicative of where the twins game is going.

Secondly, the cycle. The cycle was very effective while the league was adapting to the new boarding rules. But teams have figured out how to break the cycle now, and for this reason alone, they should only employ it on the PP where it can still be effective. So, my first unit PP would be the twins with Burr.

Look, I love the Sedins, I hate when people call them "The sisters, or soft"

But the fact is, in the play-offs... They don't do what they are suppose to do... They don't put the team on their back and take over a series. A team leader does not allow more goals in the net when he's on the ice than he's scoring. He wins games... He scores the clutch goals, he throws the gloves down and stands up for his team, and he sure as hell doesn't take 5-6 unanswered punches to the face.

The Hawks won the Cup and Toews and Kane played integral roles.Neither throws punches and Toews had a hard time getting his game together,never mind throwing the team on his back.

In reality,a team has to have four solid lines that all score and play responsible defense.

Excellent goaltending is needed and awesome defense is necessary,with at least one starring PP QB.

This team had exactly that in 2010-2011.What the team never had was a player that could play with the Sedins and protect them.

Three years later Gillis has still not provided the Sedin`s with adequate protection against the goons and thugs the NHL will not police on their own.

Without the Sedins this team would never see the playoffs,never mind compete in them.

The Hawks won the Cup and Toews and Kane played integral roles.Neither throws punches and Toews had a hard time getting his game together,never mind throwing the team on his back.

In reality,a team has to have four solid lines that all score and play responsible defense.

Excellent goaltending is needed and awesome defense is necessary,with at least one starring PP QB.

This team had exactly that in 2010-2011.What the team never had was a player that could play with the Sedins and protect them.

Three years later Gillis has still not provided the Sedin`s with adequate protection against the goons and thugs the NHL will not police on their own.

Without the Sedins this team would never see the playoffs,never mind compete in them.

How about having management recognise their alleged weaknesses you cite and honor their lofty contributions and strengths with a winger that is their equal and can protect them?

How about a talented enough d man that will go out with them on every shift and protect them? Bieksa could do that but does not.

Many NHL legends did not fight and ``protect themselves`` as you would like to believe they should.

The league`s very best,the world`s very best do not compete at the level of the Sedins without being able to protect themselves.

I recall Daniel Sedin getting penalised in OT vs SJ standing up for himself that was more NHL farce.

Just get somebody to protect the twins,Gillis.Talk about insanity,it is year after year where Gillis never protects his superstars.

Even Don Cherry figured that out but Gillis just can`t grasp the concept.

Now we have a lunatic of a coach that will want them to block shots and start punching mental midgets the league has in never-ending abundance.

How about having management recognise their alleged weaknesses you cite and honor their lofty contributions and strengths with a winger that is their equal and can protect them?

How about a talented enough d man that will go out with them on every shift and protect them? Bieksa could do that but does not.

Many NHL legends did not fight and ``protect themselves`` as you would like to believe they should.

The league`s very best,the world`s very best do not compete at the level of the Sedins without being able to protect themselves.

I recall Daniel Sedin getting penalised in OT vs SJ standing up for himself that was more NHL farce.

Just get somebody to protect the twins,Gillis.Talk about insanity,it is year after year where Gillis never protects his superstars.

Even Don Cherry figured that out but Gillis just can`t grasp the concept.

Now we have a lunatic of a coach that will want them to block shots and start punching mental midgets the league has in never-ending abundance.

I agree with you on a lot of things but the fact remains that the Sedins should start protecting themselves as well. Without the Sedins/Kesler/Luongo this team would be bottom of the barrel. Toews and Kane have never been looked at as soft players... I'm not blaming the Sedins for Vancouvers failure. My original point was that splitting them up makes perfect sense at this point... They aren't winning us games in the play-offs.

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

The Sedins are always 2 plays ahead and Kass is one play behind so he stands in front of the net and pops in a few at the detriment of the line overall. For now Kass looks like he belongs at the bottom of the sink holding in the water. Funny how Anson Carters goals were easily dismissed.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Weise

Kassian can create space for kesler and booth, while the 3rd line is a reliable checking line with some skill. I really don't see Kassian on the 3rd and 4th. If he is, it's a total waste of his potential and will deter his development as a power forward

I agree with you on a lot of things but the fact remains that the Sedins should start protecting themselves as well. Without the Sedins/Kesler/Luongo this team would be bottom of the barrel. Toews and Kane have never been looked at as soft players... I'm not blaming the Sedins for Vancouvers failure. My original point was that splitting them up makes perfect sense at this point... They aren't winning us games in the play-offs.

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Archived