The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev's worth?[discussion]

We want either a long term, or short term.

$2.2 mill for 5 years is a good reflection / projection of long term value?

At the moment we have a cap crunch; $1.1 for 1 year. This is also similar to comparable s with his age, experience and performance such as Alec Martinez or Erik Gustafsson. Also a long term vet who fills the same role in Mike Weaver. It's also only a tad behind what higher profile prospects such as Brendan Smith command, even though Smith has offensive upside we will never see from Tanev

Tanev is not and should not be a core player on this team until he shows more than he has so far. And only core players you are committed to sticking with (not Gillis strong suit) should get anything over 2 or 3 years in this kind of cap environment.

That is why almost all of these RFA contracts are ending up 2 years. The teams are expecting the player to EARN their way into the core.

The absolute last thing this team needs is another dman locked up for more money than they are worth now in the hopes they will be worth it later.

We need Tanev at around 1 million for 1 or 2 years.

Gillis needs to learn from the Luongo fiasco that things can change and young players can push their way through. There has to be a way for them to do so without totally destroying the team in the process.

The real question is who you think he should be compared to. I believe you've mentioned Martinez and Smith before and in my opinion that's not a good comparison. I'd take Tanev over either of those guys.

Tanev is closer to a Wiercoch with less offence but a better defensive game. Tanev is smaller but they both play about the same size.

So Gillis would trade Schneider for a 1st round pick but not Tanev? Riiiiiight.

It has nothing to do with hate (I am pretty meh about Tanev but I think he is VERY overrated and it will set him up for extreme hatred on this board if he does not become Hamhuis in the next few years), it has to do with an offer that is too good to pass up. Tanev is not so important that they would not accept a 1st round pick for him if it was offered.

The fact that you would take Tanev over any other player is not what matters though. I would take Smith and Jake Muzzin over Tanev but that does not mean that matters either.

The going rate for RFA players is being set by the market. Why Tanev is immune from that is beyond me. It is simply him being overvalued by people on here. There is nothing on his resume to suggest he deserves to be a top end of the market RFA signing this offseason. He should be right with the pack.

That is how things work in practical terms and GM's who go outside that and overpay are the ones who usually regret it.

Don't worry, Gillis isn't apart of the CDC's overrating of Tanev lol. Tanev has been a reliable bottom 2 defense that very rarely gets a penalty. He deserves a raise, but he won't get a Ballard contract. I highly doubt Gillis would trade his rights, he has all the leverage and will wait it out like Subban and Montreal.

But for the record; I don't think he's as bad as you make him seem. If injuries occur, he definitely would be able to move up for a solid Hamhuis-Tanev shutdown pairing. We have enough offensive defenseman, and I think Tanev really complements on the defensive side.

Wiercioch was an RFA who was signed recently and he isn't a top end of the market RFA either. Tanev isn't immune from anything you've just under valued him and it seems that you're stuck on that now. I think he could get slightly less than Wiercioch and that would be fair. All the cliche about getting bounced around the ice and blah blah blah don't really matter no matter how many times they are repeated.

The "going rate" is actually a pretty wide margin. I'd say it falls anywhere between 900K and 2.1 mil. High end RFA obviously get more. Tanev has played quite well and done a lot with his opportunities. Other D on this team weren't able to do that. I never liked AV and Bowness with the D. The fact that Tanev was able to look good in a bad system when a veteran like Ballard couldn't says a lot about Tanev.

The absolute last thing this team needs is another dman locked up for more money than they are worth now in the hopes they will be worth it later.

We need Tanev at around 1 million for 1 or 2 years.

Gillis needs to learn from the Luongo fiasco that things can change and young players can push their way through. There has to be a way for them to do so without totally destroying the team in the process.

We are not in any sort of cap crunch. We got 5 million in cap space, 2.5 million per year is a good enough cap hit for both us and Tanev.

How much term is the question? He has played with the Canucks long enough to realize he is an great 3rd pairing defensemen. I think 2-3 years is reasonable.

You are going on the assumption that all teams have an unlimited amount of cap dollars available though. The reality is that the Canucks do not have that. Ottawa has more flexibility and I am sorry to say but Wiercoch has shown more than Tanev in the areas that get defensmen more money on their contracts, which - unfair or not - is offensive production. Physical play is another area that seems to attract a premium for D contracts too.

Let's be real. how much did Norris winning PK Subban sign for as an RFA holding out last year?

If Tanev gets 2.5 million Gillis should be fired. If he gets it for 3 years Gillis should be shot.

The Canucks don't have to use up all their cap space you know. I mean, this team definitely needs upgrades especially if none of the kids are ready to play.

Archived