The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock EM

Anybody else miss 90's hockey? (Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't decide between Offtopic/General Hockey)

My interest in the NHL has gone down significantly in the past few years so I decided to watch some of Don Cherry's early Rock em Sock ems for that nostalgic love of the game. My all time fav was definitely Rock em Sock em 7, so I watched that one on youtube. Man oh man did it take me back! I'm not sure if it's the soundtrack, the black skate jerseys, the Lindros highlights, the Stevens highlights, that hockey hair, or just Don being classic Don, but Rock em Sock em 7 has to be in my top 10 favourtie movies of all time. The earlier ones are great in their own ridiculous way, but I think #7 just finds a healthy balance of hilarity and awesomeness.

Did anybody else grow up on these movies? Which ones were your favourites? Anybody know why they only highlight a few players (sometimes not even big names)?

Lindros was my favourite player when I was a kid, and I always had a love of the Flyers because of him. I think I can safely say it is because of Don Cherry's Rock em Sock ems. Also, the Rock em Sock ems are probably the only reason why I can still put up with listening to senile Cherry rant and butcher every segment of Coach's Corner.

Side note: anybody know the name of the bagpipe song in the last segment of Rock em Sock em 7? Pretty sure it would make a killer goal song.

For those who have no idea what I'm going on about:

Nope. He was defending Luongo all last season, and Bieksa's one of his favourite players. Also gave McLean a hard time about the garbage he'd spewed regarding Burr.

Cherry and Hughson are the only guys on CBC I'd be willing to go have a beer with and watch the game.

I still have the entire collection...may not have got the last few editions as they faded out.

I used to love Grapes' narrative to them. However, I do think with how they're changing the league (or supposed to have been) that there isn't a place for them anymore.

But, for me, that was good old fashioned hockey at its finest.

I still have the entire collection...may not have got the last few editions as they faded out.

I used to love Grapes' narrative to them. However, I do think with how they're changing the league (or supposed to have been) that there isn't a place for them anymore.

But, for me, that was good old fashioned hockey at its finest.

Nope. He was defending Luongo all last season, and Bieksa's one of his favourite players. Also gave McLean a hard time about the garbage he'd spewed regarding Burr.

Cherry and Hughson are the only guys on CBC I'd be willing to go have a beer with and watch the game.

Whats the one that has Linden going coast to coast twice? "Boy can he move for a big guy" That was my favorite.

"Here's Phil Borque doing his Ray Bourque impression." classic line

All to the beats of 2 Unlimited.... haha good times.

Archived