The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On Track Excited about the future

kkari23

Canucks picked Gaunce, horvat, and Shinkaruk and they made a trade for Kassian. As we all know when it really matters like Stanley Cup playoffs mostly North American players step up I see that attitude in Gaunce and Horvat. Lucic was picked in second round but because of his playoff performance he gained his confidence and became elite player for bruins, toews and kane are elite players but they pickup their play during playoff both north Americans list can go on and on but my point is we are building our core north American so when push come shove we got the best not like twins, edler, malkin, best player Ovi who can't elevate during playoffs.

You mean some of the players who give their teams a shot in the first place?

I do get where you're coming from, but don't throw these names into the hat and, as a result, under the bus. Do you think we'd even be the team we are without the twins? I don't.

I'm excited too, as change is always refreshing...but these are supplemental players and the top guys in the line up will still be counted on as such. There is no undervaluing them, despite our lack of success in the playoffs. We've come close and these guys are the ones who were in place for that to happen. You start dumping those names, you may not even make it there.

I agree with both of you. First I do not think the team would be the same without the core of twins, kesler, burrows, lui and etc. However with the addition of some of these draft picks I think there is going to be a great energy around this team. Now it is no longer the case of too many chiefs and not enough indians but rather a team full of young players who will look up to our core. As for torts how he has handled the lui situation has been beyond incredible. In every soundbite or newspaper quote he sticks by the line " he is our number 1 guy and nothing suggest otherwise, I believe it and the team believes it. Obviously thats not verbatim but a jist of his words. Under AV players are given short leashes to do well Ballard, Hodgson, Schroeder and so forth. So with the youthful injection under Torts I believe he is already making a statement saying these guys needs to step up to help this team when the core gets into slumps.

It is a shame the .org were not able to support the twins,Samuelsson,Eddy,Ehrhoff, Salo and Hansen with more North Americans or Europeans that complimented their excellence when the team had a real shot to win.

Maybe a northern European coach could help this team seeing how the Europeans have been a major component of this team`s success?

Tommernes,Lack,Jensen,Andersson,Rodin,Polasek,Blomstrand and Eriksson all have an opportunity to play integral roles in this team`s success going forward.

Canucks picked Gaunce, horvat, and Shinkaruk and they made a trade for Kassian. As we all know when it really matters like Stanley Cup playoffs mostly North American players step up I see that attitude in Gaunce and Horvat. Lucic was picked in second round but because of his playoff performance he gained his confidence and became elite player for bruins, toews and kane are elite players but they pickup their play during playoff both north Americans list can go on and on but my point is we are building our core north American so when push come shove we got the best not like twins, edler, malkin, best player Ovi who can't elevate during playoffs.

Well I like your enthusiasm, but here's the problem for me: people want to simplify things and it's just not that easy.

They always do this...put an enormous weight on the shoulders of newcomers to be the be all to end all. That they will save us. But it's a team effort overall and you're not considering that. There is no "I/one guy" in team.

Again, I don't want to deflate this positive thread, but it's a really tough thing to win a Stanley Cup and no one, really, is "at fault" when it doesn't happen. It's just how it happens...only one team wins. Often that's not a roster thing - often, it's a matter of people staying healthy. Good/bad officiating. Luck and timing. You may have completely great guys in place who hit a slump or get hot at the right/wrong time. That applies to everyone.

I, too, am really looking forward to the upcoming season....but that's always the case for me. It's a fresh slate and everything starts from scratch. But I'm not expecting that the acquisitions we have will jump in and be faces of the franchise or "the core" at anytime soon. Our core is in place and, hopefully, the guys coming in will join forces in that.

But, overall, this fanbase gets too high/low at times and needs to learn to just ride the wave with the team. There will be successes/failures along the way but that doesn't define the team as a success/failure in my view. Cue the "it is a failure if you don't win the cup" responses, that miss the point I'm trying to make.

Our top 6 should be really solid once they all develop. The thing I like is that we have a good mix of speed/skill/size. Gaunce and Horvat have potential to be a Toews/Bergeron type player. Jensen and Shinkaruk bring speed, skill, and sniping ability. And Kassian is the power forward who brings size/toughness to compliment are offensive and two-way prospects.

It wouldn't be very difficult to pull out of a list of North American players who are playoff dropoffs, who don't step up their game, and who despite solid careers, are notorious playoff failures.

I'm not going to bother, but you could start with some San Jose Sharks and move on to some other fairly notables...

In any event, the nationality thing is a miss.

You do know that Malkin has a Conn Smythe, right? So much for the "Euros can't elevate their game during the playoffs." The same goes for Rask, Zetterberg, Lidström, Franzén, Forsberg and Chara.

I would also like to add that Towes scored like one goal in the playoffs until the finals...

Canucks picked Gaunce, horvat, and Shinkaruk and they made a trade for Kassian. As we all know when it really matters like Stanley Cup playoffs mostly North American players step up...

we are building our core north American so when push come shove we got the best not like twins, edler...who can't elevate during playoffs.

Archived