The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Rule Change Suggestions - PK & Icing

I have had a some ideas for rule changes to the NHL that I think would be beneficial to the game in general. I wanted to get your feedback on what you thought, and if they would have any merit in improving the game. The rule changes are all somewhat related, so I would recommend that you read all three before responding. Thanks everyone.

#1. Move the Icing line to the defensive blueline.

I think the speed and strength of the game has progressed to the point where icing should no longer be at centre, but instead be at each respective team's blue line. This will reduce the amount of icing related collisions along the end boards, as well as the number of icing calls 5 on 5, allowing more flow for the game. Keep in mind that the offside rule would remain in effect as is.

#2. Icing would then remain the same on the PK as it does on even strength.

Icing on the Penalty Kill: I propose that players on the PK must carry the puck over their blue line before being able to ice the puck. I believe it will give the powerplay a more solid advantage as teams that clear the puck down the ice in their own zone will be unable to change.

#3. Changes to Delay of Game/Puck over Glass

As icing the puck in the defensive zone on the PK would no longer give teams the chance to change a tired group, any attempt to clear the puck that results in the puck reaching the opposite end of the rink and/or puck going over the glass would result in an icing call.

(NOTE: In this instance, pucks that deflect off the boards/glass and leave the ice surface [but not an opposing player] would be subject to the call)

Players would not be able to change and the faceoff will be in the defensive zone. This would eliminate the need for a delay of game penalty while being shorthanded, but still penalize the team on the PK effectively. Delay of game penalty while at even strength may remain as it is currently.

How about this for a rule change...

After an icing call, if a player on the team which has just iced the puck enters the faceoff circle with the intention to be kicked out to give their team more time to rest, they will be charged with a 2 min minor penalty.

I saw far too much of this in the playoffs. Players would just go into the faceoff circle and deliberately get kicked out just to buy time. That loophole needs to be fixed IMO.

Rule #2 and #3 seems like an interesting idea, it will really make it tough to kill penalties so we might end up seeing AVG PP success rate being something like 40 or 50%, which means more goals. But I guess this would cause the players to stay away from contact to avoid getting called for penalties and the refs would feel more scared than they are now to call penalties since penalty = goal. This might make the game boring since all of the game might get played on 5 on 5 and make hockey into contact less sport.

Good suggestions though.

Put a FO dot right in the centre of each team's def zone. Used for pk icings, & maybe late-game icings(last 3 mins?)...I know the traditionalists will LOVE this, but the game needs innovation/rule-creativity to allow for a more offensive approach.

Also give the offensive team more leeway in how they set up for these draws. Coaches could prob think up some cool offensive set-ups strategies/formations. Make it stricter for the defending teams, regarding their positioning.

Put a FO dot right in the centre of each team's def zone. Used for pk icings, & maybe late-game icings(last 3 mins?)...I know the traditionalists will LOVE this, but the game needs innovation/rule-creativity to allow for a more offensive approach.

Also give the offensive team more leeway in how they set up for these draws. Coaches could prob think up some cool offensive set-ups strategies/formations. Make it stricter for the defending teams, regarding their positioning.

Rule #2 and #3 seems like an interesting idea, it will really make it tough to kill penalties so we might end up seeing AVG PP success rate being something like 40 or 50%, which means more goals. But I guess this would cause the players to stay away from contact to avoid getting called for penalties and the refs would feel more scared than they are now to call penalties since penalty = goal. This might make the game boring since all of the game might get played on 5 on 5 and make hockey into contact less sport.

Good suggestions though.

How about this for a rule change...

After an icing call, if a player on the team which has just iced the puck enters the faceoff circle with the intention to be kicked out to give their team more time to rest, they will be charged with a 2 min minor penalty.

I saw far too much of this in the playoffs. Players would just go into the faceoff circle and deliberately get kicked out just to buy time. That loophole needs to be fixed IMO.

Archived