The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd round picks, do we really need them?

Dogbyte

How important are these second round picks?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bure: 6th round

Hansen:287th overall

Corrado: 5th round

Keeping as many picks as possible is astute because it is a lottery and late round players make it.

I believe Gillis has given away seven,eight or nine picks.Not sure and too lazy to look but include a first for Ballard and a second for Roy Baby and another second rounder somewhere in there.

The argument is Gillis makes up for it with free agent picks but every team has that opportunity.

A draft pick lost is a potential Hansen,Bure or Corrado lost.

Gillis has had some hits and misses with trading draft picks. Higgins was a good pick-up as was Lapierre but Roy was not. I think Gillis realizes he needs to add more quality to the prospect pool, I really like the last 4 first round picks he's made (Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat and Shinkaruk).

Yup, and comparatively to Burke and Nonis he's tried to do more with less. Burke and Nonis have managed some big name draft picks where Gillis is still waiting for one that makes a significant impact on the team, but I think Gillis has been smarter about what he does with the picks and deadline deals overall (see Weinrich, Carney, Sanderson, Rucinsky, etc). Even if he does trade a pick (like with the Roy trade) he tries to get that value back elsewhere by picking up a free agent or undrafted player and has been pretty good in that regard.

Agreed, same with Jensen, Corrado, and any of our other prospects that might make it in the next year or three. There are suddenly a lot more options in that regard for us then there have been previous years (when it was really just Hodgson and maybe Schroeder that had any kind of chance at camp).

There is about a 1/10 chance of an impact player, 1/4 chance of an NHL regular and probably a 1/2 chance of having a call-up or minor league contributor.

I would only trade a 2nd round pick for a player under contract or a UFA that would be likely signed for the next season. I loved the Lapierre and Higgins deals because they were re-signed. Roy had very little chance of being re-signed.

Archived