The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Ed Willes: No matter how next season turns out, newly hands-on Canucks’ owner will be responsible

naslund.is.king

You've clearly decided to take some unsubstantiated rumours and run with them, so, if you're going to swallow that pulp the Province peddles, you may as well include in your list of assumptions the rest of the related rumours, starting with the one that suggests it was FA who pushed for a lifetime contract for Luongo, when Gillis is rumoured to have prefered a term closer to half the length of what was signed.

Kinda puts a different spin on your version of the "I am not paying 30 mil dollars extra for your error" story, doesn't it?

Fact is.... there aren't any verified facts involved in these rumours.

Nice story though.

Guest Pinchin

Aquilini should not be in charge of this team. He should simply be an owner.

If he wanted to make different decisions he should have got a new GM. Not make them himself

I find it funny that Willes suggests that an owner telling his manager, I am not paying 30 mil dollars extra for your error (ie buyout) is something that means the owner is 'meddling' or bad. lol

this guy has clearly never made real money, is a shill and never will. billionaires don't get rich and stay that way by throwing away 30 ml for their manager's errors.

this lou debacle is solely on Gillis no one else. Acquilini simply did what any good business man does, protects his investments and doesn't piss money down the drain.

Moreover, the decision to hire Torts was the right one. Look how players are responding, Higgins, Kesler etc saying they are excited, they are already buying in,

I have watched his interviews, I am impressed by his honesty, his desire to win, his passion for the game. This team didn't need another 'technician'. It needed emotion.

Gillis analyzes till he's blue in the face then makes bad decisions. Acquilini gets what it takes to win in business, not just talent, but passion.

Torts is here to wake that up in our players, Stevens would have been more of AV 2.0.

Personally, I think Gillis is lucky to have his job.

I've heard this speculation before and I hope it's not true. Obviously the owners have the "right" to make a decision - but they shouldn't. They made their money off of property, not hockey, leave the hockey decisions to the hockey people.

(That being said, I like the Torts hiring.. maybe meddling just that once was a good idea.)

I find it funny that Willes suggests that an owner telling his manager, I am not paying 30 mil dollars extra for your error (ie buyout) is something that means the owner is 'meddling' or bad. lol

this guy has clearly never made real money, is a shill and never will. billionaires don't get rich and stay that way by throwing away 30 ml for their manager's errors.

this lou debacle is solely on Gillis no one else. Acquilini simply did what any good business man does, protects his investments and doesn't piss money down the drain.

Moreover, the decision to hire Torts was the right one. Look how players are responding, Higgins, Kesler etc saying they are excited, they are already buying in,

I have watched his interviews, I am impressed by his honesty, his desire to win, his passion for the game. This team didn't need another 'technician'. It needed emotion.

Gillis analyzes till he's blue in the face then makes bad decisions. Acquilini gets what it takes to win in business, not just talent, but passion.

Torts is here to wake that up in our players, Stevens would have been more of AV 2.0.

Personally, I think Gillis is lucky to have his job.

Yes, you're reading it wrong ( trying too hard, as seems a habit, to find a 'neglecting to do their job' angle)

Of course every option was discussed - what I fairly clearly said was that my opinion is that he had no intention of entertaining that option.

The last line of your post makes it pretty clear that you understood the point I was making.

Speaking of Tort's being hired..... Am sure Seeing alot of ppl jumping on his wagon after weeks of "oh, thats it, im not renewing my tickets next year" being bandied about on here before he was hired

Hahaha to all you suckaaaaaas

Given the source, Mr. Editorial himself Ed Willes, this means as much to me as Elvis' face on a grill cheese sandwich. Ed Willes is the biggest HACK in our local media, there is this thing called journalistic integrity, he has none. I guess it's a little harder for Vancouver as the either biggest small market or smallest big market in Canada to attract the best sports journalists but WTH, Ed Willes is just fodder for the tin foil hat wearing crew.

Basically what I'm saying is, I dislike Ed Willes and I have no respect for much of what he says and writes.

The person whose job should be in question is whomever does the hiring over at the Province.

Real eye for talent they have over there. :wacko:

It's all relative - there's actually worse than Willes - if you feed even closer to the bottom, you'll find Botchford and Gallagher...

No need to get all douchy about it there man. That is exactly why I said I was not sure if I was reading it wrong or not.

I can easily see there being a contingency plan to waive and then if necessary buy out Luongo if they did not get the return they wanted for Schneider.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this thread deserved a bump since Willes has now written a retraction of sorts after getting spanked by "several members of the Canucks organization" for fabricating the story about Aquilini forcing the Torts hiring:

*** After some lively discussions with several members of the Canucks’ organization, it’s now apparent that GM Mike Gillis was sold on John Tortorella as the team’s head coach and didn’t need convincing from owner Francesco Aquilini.

John Stevens had been the front-runner until Tortorella became available, but the former New York Rangers’ bench boss changed that in a hurry.

Apologies if anyone was misled.

That said, the other points made in the offending article remain valid.

Guest Pinchin

Apologies if anyone was misled = I'm not sorry I intentionally misrepresented the truth in order to further my waning career.

Journalistic integrity? Nope.

Archived