The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Will Youth Finally Be Served For the Vancouver Canucks

naslund.is.king

Really hoping Gaunce is ready for 3 rd line center. We need him to be cuz I don't think santorelli or Richardson are 3rd line centers for an entire season..Jensen is possible but more likely an injury call up from the ahl. I doubt and dot really want horvat or shinkurak to make the team as I don't believe they are ready.. Also, this is schreoder a last season to prove he elongated with the Canucks and is an NHL player.. I think it will be him and Gaunce fighting over that center spot.. Either way I am excited about all this young talent actually having a chance to make the team.. Kassian is by far te most important.. E has to step up this year and play with the twins, protect them and score 25 goals

This is definitely the year of the Schroeder.

Jensen will also have to get a long look.

Beyond that, i don't see anyone else being ready among our forward prospects, unless there's a huge surprise.

On defense, Corrado looks like the guy they're going to make room for down the road, if anyone. With Tanev, Corrado and Weber, alluvasudden we're loaded with depth righties, but short on lefties, thanks to the trade that shipped Connauton to Dallas for Roy Baby.

Kassian: 11 points in 39 games

Hodgson: 34 points in 48 games

Kassian is still improving and there's lots of time for him to catch up, but I think it's obvious who has made more of an impact on their team to this point in time.

Hodgson had 34 points in 48 games last season which would've been good for 3rd on the team.

Kassian's hits are softer than pudding and he doesn't do it enough

Also Hodgson's done this:

Not saying I like Hodgson or Kassian more. Just saying.

Until Kassian starts getting meaner and scoring goals, he hasn't lived up to expectations.

It is fun to speculate on which young players will make the team but obviously neither we nor the coaching staff has much idea at this stage. As Torts pointed out we pretty much have to wait until training camp to get an idea.

The article failed to mention Kellen Lain, who has a shot to make the team, although he is 24 and will soon turn 25 so we should probably not call him a "young" player. .

The full list of "young" (23 or under at present) players who have a legitimate shot would include:

Schroeder (23)

Tanev (23)

Corrado (20)

Jensen (20)

Gaunce (19)

Horvat (18)

Shinkaruk (18)

One interesting point is tha no one on this list is 21 or 22. That is a big gap and shows the problems the Canucks have had with the draft (including giving up a first round pick for Ballard and giving up second round picks for rentals).

Schroeder will not be "young" much longer. For small offensive forwards, they need to show NHL ability by the time they are 23 or 24 or they are likely to become career minor leaguers. Schroeder is on the bubble. He needs to make a significant step this year or he will qualify as a "bust". I think the odds are good that he plays well enough to help the team -- either on the wing or at centre. He could be a 13th man like Ebbett was last year. (He was probably as good as Ebbett last year so this year he should be better.)

Tanev is of course a lock if the Canucks get him signed. I still think he could be traded. Corrado looks likely and my money is on Gaunce.

Last I heard Booth was still not cleared to play. Maybe he starts the season on the DL.

he made so much of an impact his coach was fired, buffalo missed the playoffs and he spent time on the 4th under the new coach because of defensive failings. Well done! Still waiting to see if Kassian can step up to the plate consistency wise but I'm glad we have him rather than the over rated Hodgson.

Does anyone remember when Bure broke onto our team? Linden...

Geez it has been a long time since a player bursting with confidence made it clear he was faster, more electrifying,stronger, more talented than established and comfortable vets. Look, I get it. Vets have done their hard yards, grown into their bodies, learned how to compete and make few enough mistakes to hang around.

Our D is solid, but our forward crew is begging for a burst of excitement! I'm sure Gillis is hoping at least 2, but preferably 3, prospects push guys like Santorelli out of the line up and guys like Higgins to the 4th line.

But we have SIX (if you include Kassian as a prospect) recent first round picks up front. Kassian and Horvat were top 15 picks, Schroeder was expected to be. They simply have to stop playing safe, and use the explosive speed and skills they to blow past, out compete and out class guys who don't have their pedigree.

Lets go boys, put it on the line! :towel:

Edit and side note; I'd also like to see the team have a guy like Archibald knock a Sestito out of the line up? But where is the mid & late round picks who may not have the puck skills, but are bursting with speed, size and athleticism? They don't care how talented you are because they are ready to bust your face and easily outmatch most physically! Look at Kings with Clifford, King and Nolan, the Blues with Reeves.

As much as we can get excited about some first round prospects, where is a program for depth guys? We keep taking 98 lb weakling 17 year old D prospects to go to college hoping they'll blossom into money ball Norris candidates. Our 3rd (and occasionally) 2knd) round picks should have deeper dedicated to guys like Cedarholm (thanx this year MG) who are simply superior physical specimen's who also play hockey. We also need to be physically competitive!

There doesn't seem to be much room for young guys:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Weiss Richardson Sestito

I think it would be interesting to see Schroeder on the 2nd line and maybe Richardson on the 3rd and Gaunce on the 4th line.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Schroeder Kesler

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Weiss Gaunce Kassian

I think we'll see Schroeder, Erickson/Lack making the team and appearances from Jensen, Corrado, Lain. If the 4th line doesn't jell or if there are ++ injuries we might see Mallet, Archibald, or Blomstrand. I think Tommernes might see some games, but our D is looking solid right now.

My Line up for the 2013 - 2014 Season

Forwards:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Schroeder Hansen

Sestito Santorelli Weise

Note: In the event of a poor performance by Schroeder, I'm sure Gaunce will get the call and Schroeder will be sent to the minors. Although I personally don't believe Gaunce or any of our prospects including Jensen, Shinkaruk and Horvat are NHL ready. Gaunce could use another year or 2 in the minors to develop his skill set (Hands, Speed, Offensive/Defensive senses) same for Shinkaruk and or Jensen.Horvat could use a year in the minors at the bare minimum, he could play for the 'Nucks for a few games here or there but don't expect him to have a secure roster spot this year, it would be a shame if the prospect that we got for Schnieder, happens to have his development messed up by being rushed into the NHL too soon or worse.

Defense:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Alberts <---Assuming he gets resigned, and just in case MG or Torts wants to give Corrado another year in the minors.

Goaltending:

Luongo

Eriksson

Lack <--- He is still rehabbing from his hip surgery, he will still technically be on the roster no matter what because his contract switches over to a 1 way deal this season. Hopefully he will be ready by either late October or early November (Hips take a while and since he's a goalie any sort of movement he does could possibly re-aggrievate it. Eriksson is the most qualified goalie for us for the time being (unless we make a trade where a veteran back up comes our way) because Joe Cannatta is still trying to develop his game in the minors.

Kassian should be a sure thing, a much needed large body with skill. I hope Schroeder plays well, but I think he will lose his spot before the end of the year to one of the other young guys. Booth could also lose his spot if he gets hurt, and/or continues to have no luck around the net.

I don't think it's that unlikely that a guy like Higgins gets outplayed by one of our younger players and ends up on the fourth line. He had a pretty average season last year.

I could see something like:

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Kesler Jensen

Burrows Schroeder Hansen

Richardson Gaunce Higgins

Archived