The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Edler suspended for first two games of 2014 Sochi Olympics

-Vintage Canuck-

I watched that play - hit quite a few times and I have yet to figure out what Elder was doing or trying to accomplish. He simply appears to be out for a skate, on a straight line against the grain of the play, and runs into Staal like he was surprised there were actually other players on the ice. I like Edler but he really needs to pull his head out of his ass and come back to reality if he's going to succeed under Torts this coming season.

A couple a points here:

a) wtf, the hit was clean and the canadian guy had it coming

b. hopefully all the Canuck players boycott the silly olympics so they are rested and ready for the cup run

3) i would hope that at minimum the canadian guy gets a similar suspension or it just looks like the olympic committee is again favoring team canada

I watched that play - hit quite a few times and I have yet to figure out what Elder was doing or trying to accomplish. He simply appears to be out for a skate, on a straight line against the grain of the play, and runs into Staal like he was surprised there were actually other players on the ice. I like Edler but he really needs to pull his head out of his ass and come back to reality if he's going to succeed under Torts this coming season.

Everyone seems to forget that Edler's had serious back problems that have resulted in multiple surgeries and he's said himself that his back is as good as it can get not that its 100%. IF that is really true this next season is going to determine just how good he can be.

without his back issues he would be 1 dman.

I have never heard of a player being punished for one incident , with an asterisk stating they could revisit the punishment and suspend him for more at some later date.

Two separate hearings and two separate punishments for one incident.

I have never heard of this before. Have you? Perhaps you can show us where this has happened before.

Edit. I guess the Olympic committee could also issue an addendum stating that their punishment was only partial too and then the NHL could punish him after that if they so desired.

You can look it up if you want but I'm sure it has at some point. While you're at it, look up if the IIHF has ever suspended someone for international play and if the NHL has held their own hearing to have a suspension as well. That's more absurd than what you're having issue with.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that there were two games left in the tourney so they suspended Edler for that and then noted a full discipline hearing would be held later. I'm not sure where the confusion is considering they explicitly stated this at the time.

Archived