The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 shots + Tazer for knife wielding teen in Toronto Street Car

Carpe Diem

So if I am getting this correctly he had a knife... hadn't attacked anyone or went after the police despite refusing to drop it... so they shot him 9 times then tazered him while he was down dying?

Also what did they outnumber him? Like 12 to 1?

is it just me... or did it look like none of those cops had any idea what they were doing?

You would think someone would be in charge, or they'd have some sort of protocol to follow.. instead they're all tripping over each other and pacing in circles.

Seemed like an over reaction by a bunch of panicked rookies.

The 18 year old kid was ALONE on the bus. It was not like he was holding the knife to someone. Remember Vincent Li, the guy that beheaded a guy on a bus in Winnipeg, the cops did not rush in and shoot him. In that case the cops acted too slow.

The cop that shot him should be charged with murder.

That's arguable, as before the first shots are fired you can see him partly behind the part of the bus by the door blocking our view, but then he starts to move forward and goes completely out of view. We can't see anything from the video to say if he was preparing to come out of the bus in an aggressive fashion with the knife, just taking a step or even calming down.

Clearly further shots were fired, so they could have been shots to disable him but hadn't worked. Add in the taser (why they didn't try that when he was in view of the door, I can't say) and he was obviously still in possession of the knife and moving enough to be seen as dangerous for officers going into the bus.

Without seeing what he was doing, I have a hard time completely condemning the police with the way they reacted, even if I could see a solution I thought might be more effective. For anyone who is 100% condemning the police just by watching the video, I question your judgement, but then we're on CDC so I shouldn't be surprised.

Archived