The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 shots + Tazer for knife wielding teen in Toronto Street Car

Carpe Diem

Ridiculous, that was just over excessive, I honestly thought they were just rubber bullets but apparently not.

Everyone there should be fired considering the situation. The only threat that kid posed was potentially stabbing himself. He wasn't going to do anything in that Bus alone.,

Natural selection at it again.

For those wondering why cops shot him instead of tasering him it's because a taser isn't as effective at stopping someone in their tracks. Especially if the person is on drugs. You don't take that chance when the guy has a knife on him. It takes only a few seconds for someone with a knife to cover 20 feet. And the idiiot clearly moves towards the cops at 37 seconds.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

Natural selection at it again.

For those wondering why cops shot him instead of tasering him it's because a taser isn't as effective at stopping someone in their tracks. Especially if the person is on drugs. You don't take that chance when the guy has a knife on him. It takes only a few seconds for someone with a knife to cover 20 feet. And the idiiot clearly moves towards the cops at 37 seconds.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

A public execution would have been if they shot him unarmed or if he had his hands up with the knife. He pulled the knife out on a crowded street cat and made threats. He then refused to drop it numerous times when the cops told him to, and then holding the knife came towards the officers.

Did they need to use deadly force? Probably not, but they were within their rights to do so.

Moral of the story: Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Normally I tend to side with the police over the thug but 9 shots and a tazer seems quite excessive for one knife weilding teen. Any descent marksman (as every police officer should be) should have been able to put one into his shoulder if he was advancing on the police with a knife, I doubt he would have been a threat with his arm disabled. The tazer first or possibly tear gas might have been a better option, but I wasn't there and don't know all the details.

The Police Union is spinning this now. Officer suspension is 'extraordinary'; the video is not the whole story, etc etc. Well maybe it's not the 'whole' story but it is 99%. I can't wait to hear their official excuse. Too bad it will be their story vs nobody's as the kid isn't here to defend himself.

Archived