The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

9 shots + Tazer for knife wielding teen in Toronto Street Car

Carpe Diem

Overzealous cop, but knives are considered deadly weapons and in certain circumstances even more deadly then a gun, especially if the knife wielder is fast or on drugs and is in charging distance, which he very well appeared to be. The cops who trained me said they don't get paid to fight fair, they get paid to win. Given that the guy had ample time to drop his weapon, I say he was really playing with fire.

The Police Union is spinning this now. Officer suspension is 'extraordinary'; the video is not the whole story, etc etc. Well maybe it's not the 'whole' story but it is 99%. I can't wait to hear their official excuse. Too bad it will be their story vs nobody's as the kid isn't here to defend himself.

a similar horrific event happened approx 3 or so years ago in michigan, guy also held a knife and you could clearly see he wasn't making an attempt to attack the cops [vid is online but i wont post it here]. they put approx 35 bullets in him after the dust settled. the one thing i know about cops is they protect each other as much as possible in legal terms, this asshole will get a career desk job going forward.

a similar horrific event happened approx 3 or so years ago in michigan, guy also held a knife and you could clearly see he wasn't making an attempt to attack the cops [vid is online but i wont post it here]. they put approx 35 bullets in him after the dust settled. the one thing i know about cops is they protect each other as much as possible in legal terms, this asshole will get a career desk job going forward.

So many things....

Although these points have likely been brought up - what if he had mental illness? Someone had drugged him? There were so many people in the area (on bikes, etc.)...how about their safety with a barrage of bullets being fired?

It seems to me to be excessive force. Do they not have tasers or other cannister type weapons to diffuse the situation vs the worst case scenario - killing someone? He's a kid for chrissake. I just am sick over this because, although he was armed and a threat, killing him didn't seem like the only option.

He's totally outnumbered with no where to go but out of the street car...seems like they could have apprehended him vs shooting him a number of times.

This picture probably wouldn't help the officer's cause:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/07/30/sammy_yatim_officer_in_shooting_identified.html

Sorry but I have to be skeptical... how can you shoot a kid 9 times and taser him and then feel 'devastated' that he died? Any one older than 13 should know that 9 bullets from less than 10 feet will probably kill a human being.

This picture probably wouldn't help the officer's cause:

http://www.thestar.c...identified.html

Sorry but I have to be skeptical... how can you shoot a kid 9 times and taser him and then feel 'devastated' that he died? Any one older than 13 should know that 9 bullets from less than 10 feet will probably kill a human being.

Archived