The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How about some happy news for once :)

Did you just compare a flag to performing a faux sexual act? That's incredibly stupid.

Also if I grind cyril in the park and we're both ok with it we're both going to jail. Maybe we get lucky and it's the same cell but again, jail.

Look I get it. People want to act out and this is a safe place for them to do that. If we feel we have to live an extreme and we get the chance we will go to the other extreme. I don't envy having to live a life like that. I wish there was no need for gay pride but there is. It should probably be something people can be proud of associating with.

I did juxtapose one thing to another as a way to outline how what one person finds offensive another may not, yes. You may find it a stupid comparison, but maybe you just missed the point. You, and others, find the parade offensive... good for you. You, and others, may not respect how other people choose to live their lives... good for you. Some LGBT's on a float choose to celebrate their recognized human rights after generations of struggles in a faux sexual manner... good for them.

Not offensive but it pushes back the movement for gay rights but showing everything that every stereotyping bigot as being true. That's opposite of the point would you say? You get guys like doughty saying most gays dress gay and sound gay. I mean how ignorant is that statement? How about the even worse that just think every gay is a sexual deviant? Maybe don't have a parade and give them a reason to point to next time they spread their hate and stupidity.

I'm not offended by any of it but I've had many discussion with people who don't like how much the message of pride has changed for the worse over the years; especially in certain areas.

Ah, I see now. Sorry about that.

That is definitely an interesting area for discussion. Interesting because people I have talked to believe the opposite.

The thing about the parade that I noticed, was that not everyone is performing the faux sex acts. There are every type of LGBT you can think of. IMHO, if bigots out there see what goes on at the parade and it makes them uncomfortable and, in turn, display their bigotedness even more so... well, it's the: we're here, we're queer, get used to it!

Again, not me specifically, I'm straight... not that there's anything wrong with that;)

I guess I'm trying to say: I don't think the LGBT community should care about what bigots say or think. They've been hiding from the bigots for way too long.

I've got NOTHING against gays of any kind or transgender people. But does it need to be this over-blown?

Why not have a straight parade?

Pair up some straight guys with some girls and celebrate the fact that we are straight - YEAHHHHHHHHHh

I just think orientation isn't a big deal that it warrants a parade. Not gay bashing but I just think that some gays aren't as exhibitionist as others (much like how if I'm doing the dirty that I'd want to be in private, not in public)

I've got NOTHING against gays of any kind or transgender people. But does it need to be this over-blown?

Pair up some straight guys with some girls and celebrate the fact that we are straight - YEAHHHHHHHHHh

I just think orientation isn't a big deal that it warrants a parade. Not gay bashing but I just think that some gays aren't as exhibitionist as others (much like how if I'm doing the dirty that I'd want to be in private, not in public)

How so? I'm pointing out that there is a proper unwritten code about how people should dress in public and that most people that are gay choose to ignore it.

My perspective doesn't need work, its YOU that needs help because you act all touchy and defensive whenever people talk about this topic.

That's why I always say its the gay people that make the big deal about sexual orientation not the majority of the straight people.

I like fat hairy middle aged moms, where is my parade? And why should anyone know that.

Actually, the Pride is nothing like this. The Pride doesn't try to force other people to be gay or flamboyant, morally shame others for not being gay, or try to change public policy because something in their Gay Book says it's wrong. LGBT's merely want to be recognized and accepted within our society, they are, in fact, the opposite of religion ie. tolerant of other peoples choices.

What do you think the reason was for Trudeau saying: "The State has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." ?? Was it because LGBT's were trying to force people to also be LGBT, or was it because religion was still trying to outlaw LGBT within society?

Pride is not about forcing their sexuality down the rest of society's throat, it's about a celebration of human rights.

Dancing around in short shorts, no, no that won't effect sudden change in other parts of the world. But it helps. It provides inspiration, hope, support for a lot of people. So they should cancel all of that, why? What is the argument AGAINST the parade here? I remember living in the West End in 2005, coming home from an all-night rave on a blazing hot August morning, to find out, oh great, it's Pride ... spent all day trying to sleep to the sounds of horns honking and terrible music. But I still wouldn't argue against having the parade, it's one day of the year and it means the world to so many people. Some people come from across the globe just for the chance to be gay in public, to revel in it, and then they go home and there's a seed there for change.

I just don't see the argument against it I guess.

Archived