The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you had $1000 to invest in 1 stock, under 5$ per share, what would it be?

Totes McGoats

Over a year ago the company had to totally revamp and i've watched the company and its CEO extremely closely. Have brought in new revenue streams that will grow as the MMJ sector does, while still owning modern patents and servers for medical centres and records. There's a reason it's a penny stock right now, although one of very few pennies i'm very confident about long term. Very few legitimately ran penny stocks exist these days and this is one of them.

You know, this is exactly what this is about.

I'm a novice at this. I have an extra thousand bucks to spend on a random. I have multiple other investments, I am a property owner, and I have an excellent retirement plan and pension. Money is not an issue, however I've always wanted to play the more risky stuff. I usually invested in GIC's and long term more guaranteed investments.

A grand is a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things, but the fun of trading around and trying to better my initial investment is moreover what I am looking for.

Buy a little of this, a little of that, by OTC stocks that are long shots along with just a few shares in companies that are more consistent solid ground.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, but I want to believe that a certain group of people in this world with only large amounts to invest seem to believe that the little guy can't still do well in the market, and I say that it's not true.

Should have put it all in SR:NYSE this morning.

Opened at $3.36/share.

It's currently fetching $16.31/share. Up a mere 455% on the day.

Or USU:NYSE hit $4.65/share on July 19, 6 days later it's $29.

Got to love it when hedge funds get bored and run stuff with low floats.

You know, this is exactly what this is about.

I'm a novice at this. I have an extra thousand bucks to spend on a random. I have multiple other investments, I am a property owner, and I have an excellent retirement plan and pension. Money is not an issue, however I've always wanted to play the more risky stuff. I usually invested in GIC's and long term more guaranteed investments.

A grand is a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things, but the fun of trading around and trying to better my initial investment is moreover what I am looking for.

Buy a little of this, a little of that, by OTC stocks that are long shots along with just a few shares in companies that are more consistent solid ground.

I dunno, maybe I'm crazy, but I want to believe that a certain group of people in this world with only large amounts to invest seem to believe that the little guy can't still do well in the market, and I say that it's not true.

Ainsworth lumber ltd. currently $3.49 a share. Best to buy now because of the housing boom thats about to occur in the states and them off selling their veneer mills they focus on OSB board which costs pennies to make and sell at a high rate. It's currently in its low cycle but when the markets pick up it tables at $20-30 in its high peak............and i also worked there for 10 years so i seen all it's dipsy doodles crash and rebound prices

What do I actually own that's under $5?

Well, AMD is at 3.81 but I recently sold a bunch of it when was around 4.50. Not sure if it's a terrific entry point but I still hold some. But your speculating

Bombardier is at 4.95. There's a risk that there new plane will be a dud but their train business looks good. I wish they would seperate out the train business so I could just own that. They pay a dividend while you wait too. But again, your speculating (i.e. gambling).

Coal spur mines is $0.29 so you could have some fun and buy like 3000 shares for your money. Not quite metalurgical coal but high enough quality to burn in the so called clean coal plants. Mine is in resource and carbon friendly Alberta. I jumped in because they actually signed a deal with CN (or what it CP, not that it matters) to haul the coal out. In my experience railways don't go signing deals with people they don't expect to do business with. Odds of the anti coal activists stopping coal shipments from going through BC are slim to none. Biggest risk is actually the price of coal. Stil, the mine is still like a year away from production, and this is easily the biggest gamble (but biggest reward) of the bunch.

Disclosure: I own shares in all three.

I assume this is gambling money as $1000 really isn't much to invest with. I'd be looking at Biotechs that are into phase 2 testing with a high % of the float sold short.

Here is a free stock screener that will let you punch in whatever filters you need to narrow your search:

http://finviz.com/screener.ashx

It was under a buck a year and a half ago. Why would anyone buy it now at $3.49 especially since there's a mountain of resistance at $4?

Would love to see a link of this insider buying as my searches couldn't find it.

If your trade is costing you $30 you're paying WAY too much. The days of phoning your broker at Paine Weber are long gone. Anything over $5 is too much.

Ainsworth P/E is currently like 8.5. That's insane cheap. Selling a product to a market that is expected to come out of a long slumber. While the fundamentalists should pay attention to the graphers the graphers should still pay attention to fundamentals....

I don't mind paying nine bucks to simply run it through my banks it's not like I make dozens of trades a week. Also suggesting zero support options like interactive brokers (a decent sugestion for me none the less where I get pissed I can't buy foreign securities under my current direct investing account) for people brand new might just end up confusing the hell out of them before they can even begin.

Expected to come out of a slumber does not mean it will. I am wary of the fundamentals......

Source: WSJ

WASHINGTON—Construction of new homes fell sharply in June, highlighting risks to the sector's recovery from rising mortgage rates and supply constraints.

Housing starts declined 9.9% in June from a month earlier to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 836,000 units, the Commerce Department said Wednesday. Building permits, a key measure of future construction activity, fell by 7.5%. The readings were much worse than expected, with most economists forecasting modest gains in both categories.

Ainsworth was "insane cheap" at a buck. At today's price I'd say it fairly valued.

I wouldn't call IB zero support, they're just permanently bitchy. If you know what you're doing and want to trade a broad range of products at the best rates they're probably the best retail option.

Like I said before IB is not for those who need their hand held. That's not a service they provide.

<10 P/E is mighty cheap IMO. But either way the obvious lesson is that you have to come up with your own perspective on things and come up with your own educated view on how things should be allocated and what your strategy will be.

Instead of swinging for the fences he would be better off using that first thousand to set up a nice balanced low fee portfolio (you can for example do like a couch potatoe TD E-series fund that let's you do small contributions when you want) and use the time building up the nest egg to start practice accounts and actually learn what it takes before one tries to swing for the fences. Which I might add for further disclosure that while I don't use E-series I do have a roughly 80/20 stocks/bonds mix of diversified ETFs that make up the majority of my holdings with only about 20% of the value of that used for speculative bets.

What do I actually own that's under $5?

Well, AMD is at 3.81 but I recently sold a bunch of it when was around 4.50. Not sure if it's a terrific entry point but I still hold some. But your speculating

Bombardier is at 4.95. There's a risk that there new plane will be a dud but their train business looks good. I wish they would seperate out the train business so I could just own that. They pay a dividend while you wait too. But again, your speculating (i.e. gambling).

Coal spur mines is $0.29 so you could have some fun and buy like 3000 shares for your money. Not quite metalurgical coal but high enough quality to burn in the so called clean coal plants. Mine is in resource and carbon friendly Alberta. I jumped in because they actually signed a deal with CN (or what it CP, not that it matters) to haul the coal out. In my experience railways don't go signing deals with people they don't expect to do business with. Odds of the anti coal activists stopping coal shipments from going through BC are slim to none. Biggest risk is actually the price of coal. Stil, the mine is still like a year away from production, and this is easily the biggest gamble (but biggest reward) of the bunch.

Disclosure: I own shares in all three.

• 1 month later...

Ainsworth lumber ltd. currently $3.49 a share. Best to buy now because of the housing boom thats about to occur in the states and them off selling their veneer mills they focus on OSB board which costs pennies to make and sell at a high rate. It's currently in its low cycle but when the markets pick up it tables at $20-30 in its high peak............and i also worked there for 10 years so i seen all it's dipsy doodles crash and rebound prices

Archived