The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Mark Fraser avoids arbitration with Toronto

The Toronto Maple Leafs signed defenceman Mark Fraser to a one-year, $1.275 million contract on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old Fraser was a restricted free agent and scheduled for an arbitration hearing later in the day.

Last season, the Ottawa native recorded eight assists in 45 games with the Maple Leafs.

He was originally drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the third round (84th overall) in 2005.

This bodes well for GMMG, meez thinks.

Yup, we're supposed to think this is a good deal for a 26yr old Fraser when he reportedly asked for $2mil.

Meanwhile, 27yr old Kostka's cap hit is $625k. TO told him to walk. Is Fraser honestly twice as good as Kostka?

How about Sulzer at $725k? Benn at $600k? Schultz at $700k? Bartkowski at $650k? Weber at $650k?

I'm asking because all these guys were in pretty much the same boat this summer.

Yup, we're supposed to think this is a good deal for a 26yr old Fraser when he reportedly asked for $2mil.

Meanwhile, 27yr old Kostka's cap hit is $625k. TO told him to walk. Is Fraser honestly twice as good as Kostka?

How about Sulzer at $725k? Benn at $600k? Schultz at $700k? Bartkowski at $650k? Weber at $650k?

I'm asking because all these guys were in pretty much the same boat this summer.

Better, maybe. But twice as good? No.

Again, this is only looking like a good deal when the bs report of him asking for $2mil comes out. It's not that good a deal, in reality. He's a depth guy who was in the minors just last season.

Not that the situation has changed, but Nonis is likely going to lose Franson, who is a far better d-man, or even Kadri, in a worst-case scenario, thanks to an evaporation of cap space due to some really bad deals. The Fraser deal isn't horrible, but it doesn't help either. I guess we'll see how Nonis handles this cap crunch that he made himself.

I really hated Mike Kostka and I think he was awful so I can say without a doubt that Fraser is more than twice as good as him, but Kostka didn't set the bar too high. Fraser has the physical presence which is important. He is like our Bieksa, but obviously Bieksa is much, much more skilled that Fraser.

I remember seeing a Leafs fan in a Mike Kostka jersey. First though I had was "Why?"

Although he played against inferior players, his plus minus is significantly higher than Phaneufs.

I really hated Mike Kostka and I think he was awful so I can say without a doubt that Fraser is more than twice as good as him, but Kostka didn't set the bar too high. Fraser has the physical presence which is important. He is like our Bieksa, but obviously Bieksa is much, much more skilled that Fraser.

I remember seeing a Leafs fan in a Mike Kostka jersey. First though I had was "Why?"

Although he played against inferior players, his plus minus is significantly higher than Phaneufs.

I didn't expect TO love for Kostka now that he's out of TO. What about the other examples?

imho Fraser simply cashed in as much as he could, using the odd fight and meaningless +/- as a method. The reported $2mil was a joke. More like a way to justify $1.2mil. TO fans for the most part bought that reasoning though. Meanwhile, other teams are signing similar players for way less.

whats funny is most of you put stats ahead of actual value to the team. fraser played well and fought lots.. orr ,mclaren and fraser were a huge part of toronto success, reguarless of stats... which is why they were all resigned . i am suprised tho, that the fraser signing took aslong as it did.

I didn't expect TO love for Kostka now that he's out of TO. What about the other examples?

imho Fraser simply cashed in as much as he could, using the odd fight and meaningless +/- as a method. The reported $2mil was a joke. More like a way to justify $1.2mil. TO fans for the most part bought that reasoning though. Meanwhile, other teams are signing similar players for way less.

I dont watch them play enough to comment, although I did watch Yannik Weber play on MTL. He is a 7th Dman, but his game is the opposites of Fraser. One's offensive one's defensive. Fraser was very valuable to Toronto, where as Weber was not very valuable to Montreal.

Archived