The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vanek/Canucks

What chance do you think that the 'nucks will pick up Thomas Vanek as a rental player later on in the season? There's no way that any team will pick him up at or before the beginning of the year. His cap hit is a serious issue at 7 mill. As the season wears on though the cap hit becomes less and less. If he was paired with the Sedins, I would be excited to watch that. The guy plants his rear-end at or near the net and is arguably one of the top 5 up close snipers in the league. With the "second to none" passing skills that the Sedins possess and and Vanek's ability to pump in goals if given the puck, it would be one of the absolute best lines in hockey.

The problem that I see however is that Regier is going to want a pretty decent return on Vanek and since the Sabres are in rebuild mode, the Canucks would have to give up at least a second round pick and a quality prospect. With the aging stars in Vancouver, MG would be putting his butt on the line to take one last run at the cup if he gives away a potential piece of the future, and with the kind of trade deals that Regier makes, any aging team that would acquire Vanek this year would be taking a bit of a risk especially since he's on the final year of his contract.

Yeah, I just don't see it as a trade we'd want to pay the price for considering his UFA status. Nothing is a guarantee to win us a cup, and while Vanek might help there are probably better values out there.

Don't forget, if he's available as a rental, someone else will overpay for him and that's not Gillis' MO for the most part.

Yeah, I just don't see it as a trade we'd want to pay the price for considering his UFA status. Nothing is a guarantee to win us a cup, and while Vanek might help there are probably better values out there.

Don't forget, if he's available as a rental, someone else will overpay for him and that's not Gillis' MO for the most part.

Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Subban are decent enough prospects to put in a pot. I think the biggest sticking point would be giving away a first or second round pick. The Canucks can't really afford to do that.

Looks like I was definitely wrong. As far as I can tell, the CBA doesn't have any pro-rated salary cap hit provision in it. That definitely puts Vanek out of the price range on many teams. He's an excellent player but to take a 7 million dollar hit on a rental is a bitter pill for any good team to swallow, no matter what place they are in at or near the trade deadline.

I withdraw my Vanek on the Canucks curiosity question.... lol

Archived