The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Circus that is the Vancouver Canucks.

Bite me Burr

Mike Gillis is a great gm if the Canucks win the Stanley Cup this yr it's because of Mike Gillis making the right moves

But, realistically, there is zero chance of this happening. Are the Sedins going to be better this year than last? Are they improving year over year? How about Luongo? Burrows, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Higgins? This team is, at best, at the top of its talent curve and how did that work out the last couple of years? I know, i know, people will say watch Kassian become a superstar this year. The next Bertuzzi, but better. Well, maybe???

I disagree. Hard to put a real value as most teams don't trade a young starter with massive potential. Still, the return was lacking. We didn't even get a roster player, with Lu rocking in the corner yet!

Varlamov trade ring a bell. He was traded for what ended up being the 11th overall pick and a 2nd round pick. Pretty comparable trade. Sure the Canucks didn't get a 2nd round pick but you could say that Varlamov was more proven at that point. He had been a starter for longer than Schneider at the very least.

This team hasn't even hit the ice yet but we're already different.Im by no means a Gillis fan but we are on the right path I'll give him that.quit yer whining Op.

No doubt.

This year will be interesting. When Gillis took over, the Canucks couldn't get out of the first round (minus that series of attrition against Dallas), was playing a boring brand of hockey, had nothing in the system (albeit young Sedins/Kesler on the team), and the aging core of the WCE era. Gillis came in and made the moves to turn this team for a potential contender to a favourite. Now the current team can't seem to get out of the first round, the core is aging, and the farm, before this years the draft, didn't have much.

Can Gillis do the same thing again?

Perhaps. It won't be done in the same fashion as there are no Art Ross winners that I see waiting in the wings. But there is more than one way to build a team, so you never know. Isn't that why we watch the games?

With all the abuse Vancouver and the fans of the team have endured, of late, I wonder what the breaking point will be for the owners? Looking back at the desperate PR stint that started with the whole "7" thing and then the Luongo as captain misadventure, the writing was on the wall for a drama-filled spectacle that could only end poorly. The Canucks are far from respectable on and off the ice as the hockey world has loudly exclaimed. I am not enjoying this era and wonder who else finds the antics of the management to be getting tiresome. The team I watched suffer through the late 80s, late 90's and into the WCE revival was never this much of a debacle, a circus; a side-show distraction that is considered a pun or a punch line for some well earned jokes.This team has a solid, respected, proud tradition ( winning isn't everything ), but is in danger of becoming an even bigger circus if nothing is done to rectify the free-fall that Gillis seems to be leading, as ringmaster. IMO, the team is on the brink of losing all credibility, especially off the ice. What could be done to salvage the miserable PR showing? Is there a way to get this back on the rails? And, why won't my enter key work here... sorry.

It should be the circus that is the Vancouver media and fans, not the Vancouver Canucks. Was 2011 cup final a circus?

Everybody hates Detroit, Colorado, Pittsburgh,...? This point is bogus. It not if you win or lose, its how you play.

Nobody really hates Detroit or Colorado. Pittsburgh is hated by rival fans out of jealousy of their success.

What will change it? Winning a cup. People still loathe the Bruins from 2011 and for good reason, but nobody says they're an overrated team everyone respects the team they ice. We don't have that same respect is the issue. Win a cup things will change

I don't even know why fans of this team care so much about what some other people say.

CS for a 9th is a great move by a great GM? I'm saying no.That is one of many, but I am more looking at the antics than the trades and drafting stuff.

We don't know how the drafted player will do. But what if Bo wins the Calder trophy and establishes himself as one of the great young centers in the league? Would you still say it was a bad move? Gillis said that Bo might have been picked 5th overall in the draft and the Canucks would've probably picked him 5th if they had a 5th overall vs. a 9th overall. Am pretty sure the 5th overall pick is worth a Schneider.

Seriously? How can we take you seriously? One of our best teams ever, and you're saying they're far from respectable on the ice?

Whatever. Keep stirring the pot.

As I stated before, with fans like these who need rivals.

Its always the same old crap here. Someone comes on and tries to create a discussion with some controversial topics and when they dont blend into the mass opinion they are piled on by the self proclaimed experts that usally have 10,000 or more posts to thier credit. Get a life.

It is a circus and MG should be fired.

A few reasons,

His screw up of the goaltending issue, the joke that was making Lou the Captain, the failure to address the third center position for years, the failure to address the lack of size and physical play by the defence, locking up players to lengthy contracts and NTCs that have hand cuffed this team for years.

I dont want to hear about home town discounts, it does no good in the long term. Look at Lou as an example.

Anyone who thinks that things are great here should get their head out of their ass and take a serious look around.

Fools.

Its always the same old crap here. Someone comes on and tries to create a discussion with some controversial topics and when they dont blend into the mass opinion they are piled on by the self proclaimed experts that usally have 10,000 or more posts to thier credit.
Yeah, that's called 'trolling.' And yeah, it's always the same old crap. Get a life.

Its always the same old crap here. Someone comes on and tries to create a discussion with some controversial topics and when they dont blend into the mass opinion they are piled on by the self proclaimed experts that usally have 10,000 or more posts to thier credit. Get a life.

It is a circus and MG should be fired.

A few reasons,

His screw up of the goaltending issue, the joke that was making Lou the Captain, the failure to address the third center position for years, the failure to address the lack of size and physical play by the defence, locking up players to lengthy contracts and NTCs that have hand cuffed this team for years.

I dont want to hear about home town discounts, it does no good in the long term. Look at Lou as an example.

Anyone who thinks that things are great here should get their head out of their ass and take a serious look around.

Fools.

It wasn't necessarily the content, it was the presentation. Instead of allowing for people to present an opposing opinion and challenge what was being said, the OP was attacking. And making statements like they were facts when, in fact, they were only (his) opinion.

Just as you've done here, calling people names never generates anything but negative reactions.

So, unless you're Mr. T, no need to add the "Fools" part.

To address your points about the "mistakes" being made: it's been said before - hindsight isn't a luxury afforded to GM's of sports teams. They have to take gambles and sometimes they pan out, other times they don't. No fault in trying things...that's part of the process, even if the decisions don't prove to be the best after the fact.

And, to decide after the fact is the easy part, but it just doesn't happen that way. When you're dealing with multiple parties, one side of that can't be blamed if the other side isn't willing to enter into an agreement. So as much as we "need this and that", "getting" those things isn't quite as easy as some seemingly think it is.

Sure, some of these things don't make sense now (Lu as Captain....was always a head scratcher) but, when they do work out, everyone then jumps on board.

I am not the problem, Deb.

I get to say whatever I want

And you, deb, are excluded from anything that isn't pom pom related, super fan...

...save your mommy routine.

Bite me, Burr.

Just guessing,but I think you sealed your fate here.

I rest my case.How can I hope to be remotely correct when Deb and TO have a combined post count of 47,000 +? Must be experts in the correct way to manage teams with all of that experience.

As for the way people present arguments, sometimes its the only way to grab folks attention. Banning people because it hurts your feelings just shows your weakness.

I have been on this site from 1998 and have seen the mods come and go, so nothing suprises me here.

I rest my case.How can I hope to be remotely correct when Deb and TO have a combined post count of 47,000 +? Must be experts in the correct way to manage teams with all of that experience.

As for the way people present arguments, sometimes its the only way to grab folks attention. Banning people because it hurts your feelings just shows your weakness.

I have been on this site from 1998 and have seen the mods come and go, so nothing suprises me here.

Pretty sure it had to do with being a rude, disrespectful prick. I suggest you not follow his lead.

If you can't form a cogent argument without resorting to acting like a pushy, overbearing and disrespectful arse, that is hardly a failing of other members here or this board and it's moderators. And it actually shows YOUR weakness.

Archived