The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

Surrey family says it may sue over Diwali eating contest

Man choked during Diwali eating contest, suffered brain damage

CBC News

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 6:29 PM

The family of a Surrey, B.C., father who suffered brain damage after choking at an eating contest at a Diwali celebration last year, says it is considering legal action against the event organizers.

Samaljit (Sunny) Aulakh, 36, has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since November, when he took his son to the Diwali celebration in Surrey, sponsored by local radio station Red FM.

Aulakh got up on stage to participate in an eating contest involving gulab jamuns, soft doughy Indian sweets the size of Timbits.

hi-bc-130729-surrey-choking-aulakh-2-8col.jpgSunny Aulakh has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since November. (CBC)

"They called him the winner, and once he stood up, I guess he was choking on the food, which caused him to pass out and have a stroke, and from the stroke he now has brain damage," said niece Inderjeet Daleh.

Aulakh's 10-year-old son, Pawan, watched as the first ambulance arrived.

"After my dad ate, he [stood] up and I think he felt dizzy and he fell down.… I felt very scared and I started to cry," Pawan said.

"I see him, he's all bluish and he can't breathe properly," added wife Kamal Aulakh.

Aulakh's family said a second ambulance with equipment to clear his trachea had to be called for help.

He ended up in a coma for 10 days, unable to go to back to his job or his fun-loving and active self, they said.

The family said Red FM, the Punjabi language radio station that held the contest, failed to have proper safety measures in place.

"If you're putting on a show like this, and having contests like this, you should have some kind of safety," said niece Inderjeet Daleh. "There should be some paramedics on site equipped and ready."

Aulakh was not asked to sign a waiver of liability before entering the competition, Daleh said.

Red FM could not be reached for comment.

Aulakh's family is still holding out some hope that he will recover.

But in the meantime, they said they are considering legal action to get financial assistance to help pay for medical costs and Aulakh's eventual move to a long-term care facility

I'm not familiar with food eating contests but do they usually have paramedics or some type of safety equipment on site? Either way the fact that he didn't sign a waiver would probably be enough to go after Red FM.

I'm kind of surprised liability waivers weren't signed for this contest. This could leave the radio station open for a hefty lawsuit. Although the guy eating should realize that by eating that much food in a short amount of time might not be a good thing.

I'm kind of surprised liability waivers weren't signed for this contest. This could leave the radio station open for a hefty lawsuit. Although the guy eating should realize that by eating that much food in a short amount of time might not be a good thing.

HUGE mistake by the radio station not to have anyone sign waivers. It's a good thing though. I'd rather the cost of his health care be at least partially covered by someone other than the taxpayer.

Didn't sound like they forced anything down his throat, it was all voluntary.

They make people sign waivers for events like this for a reason. The radio station provided the food and he choked on it. They could he held responsible.

I was at the Diwali Event last year when he choked. He himself did raise his hand to participate in the contest, so it wasn't like they were picking random people getting forced to participate. But I agree, they should eliminate these contests especially the sugary, unhealthy sweets. Before he choked, they did a contest where you had to open up boxes that was covered by a wrapping paper wearing mittens which I think is a better contest.

I was at the Diwali Event last year when he choked. He himself did raise his hand to participate in the contest, so it wasn't like they were picking random people getting forced to participate. But I agree, they should eliminate these contests especially the sugary, unhealthy sweets. Before he choked, they did a contest where you had to open up boxes that was covered by a wrapping paper wearing mittens which I think is a better contest.

LOL!

Archived