The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

I know the guy and the story. They offered no emergency services on site for what was an obviously dangerous event. And when this guy started feeling nauseous and asked to vomit, the hosts forbade him from throwing up on stage because it didn't look nice.

frack Red FM, I've been saying for the longest time the family should have sued the hell out of them.

They make people sign waivers for events like this for a reason. The radio station provided the food and he choked on it. They could he held responsible.

Wait a second... So every time a restaurant serves food, you're saying that they're responsible if I choke on it? I never sign any waivers.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Wait a second... So every time a restaurant serves food, you're saying that they're responsible if I choke on it? I never sign any waivers.

Makes absolutely no sense.

what are you, 12?

how does this not make sense?

logically, you're saying every time you dine-out, there is a eating contest involved?

no waiver = strong case.

feel terrible for the family and they should be compensated.

what are you, 12?

how does this not make sense?

logically, you're saying every time you dine-out, there is a eating contest involved?

no waiver = strong case.

feel terrible for the family and they should be compensated.

Maybe from an entirely legal perspective, you'd be right. But that's completely black and white.

I just don't understand it, is all.

So the event organizers are to blame because you couldn't swallow your food?

I choked on a piece of sushi as a child. I ended up fine but it was an awful experience. Can I sue the nice Japanese guys that run the place?

Awful story, of course. But this isn't America, is it? Why are we suing people who did absolutely nothing wrong?

I choked on a piece of sushi as a child. I ended up fine but it was an awful experience. Can I sue the nice Japanese guys that run the place?

Awful story, of course. But this isn't America, is it? Why are we suing people who did absolutely nothing wrong?

Because we're essentially America except we don't want to admit it.

I know the guy and the story. They offered no emergency services on site for what was an obviously dangerous event. And when this guy started feeling nauseous and asked to vomit, the hosts forbade him from throwing up on stage because it didn't look nice.

frack Red FM, I've been saying for the longest time the family should have sued the hell out of them.

Torts, g_bassi13 basically answered your question. If his post is accurate then they most certainly are liable.

The bolded part of his post may seem ridiculous but all the fellow brown people here know it's true. It's all about appearances and what other people think. And someone retching doesn't "look nice". I can totally believe this version of events.

I am a big believer in personal responsibility but it sounds like they had a hand in this by preventing him from helping himself.

Wasn't anyone's fault he choked because he was having a stroke and didn't realize. Having a stroke can cause you to choke/cough

Torts, g_bassi13 basically answered your question. If his post is accurate then they most certainly are liable.

The bolded part of his post may seem ridiculous but all the fellow brown people here know it's true. It's all about appearances and what other people think. And someone retching doesn't "look nice". I can totally believe this version of events.

I am a big believer in personal responsibility but it sounds like they had a hand in this by preventing him from helping himself.

The food that day didn't even cause the choking, and the choking didn't cause the stroke that gave him brain damage. He was having a stroke and began to choke and strokes happened when no blood is going to your brain, leading to brain damage. The same thing would have happened if he was at home or just watching the event. No way the lawyer can prove that the brain damage resulted from the contest. It fails the "but for" test needed to prove that the host's negligence lead to what happened to him.

Archived