The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

I don't buy that there was no medical support. The food that day didn't even cause the choking, and the choking didn't cause the stroke that gave him brain damage. He was having a stroke and began to choke and strokes happened when no blood is going to your brain, leading to brain damage. The same thing would have happened if he was at home or just watching the event. No way the lawyer can prove that the brain damage resulted from the contest. It fails the "but for" test.

You are speaking in absolutes like you've medically examined this man.

Are you a medical professional? If they prevented him from retching they are liable. Maybe not for his stroke but they do have some liability.

You don't buy that there was no medical support? I don't even know if I can say this but I am talking about my own kind. We Indians cut corners left, right and center. I can totally believe no medical support was onsite.

Are you a medical professional? If they prevented him from retching they are liable. Maybe not for his stroke but they do have some liability.

You don't buy that there was no medical support? I don't even know if I can say this but I am talking about my own kind. We Indians cut corners left, right and center. I can totally believe no medical support was onsite.

dbl

One days food doesn't lead to a stroke, fact, its our whole diet.

Wouldn't have done anything if they did. He could have turn around and done it off stage.

They always have medical people on-site when there is a large gathering especially when there are old people there.

From a legal stand they don't owe him jack. As good people I'm sure they would have helped but I doubt they'll bother now that they are being threatening with bs lawsuits

The food that day didn't even cause the choking, and the choking didn't cause the stroke that gave him brain damage. He was having a stroke and began to choke and strokes happened when no blood is going to your brain, leading to brain damage. The same thing would have happened if he was at home or just watching the event. No way the lawyer can prove that the brain damage resulted from the contest. It fails the "but for" test needed to prove that the host's negligence lead to what happened to him.

So you want us all to believe that stuffing absurd amounts of gulab jamun down his throat had nothing to do with his choking. Ummm OK.

Even though sudden traumatic events such as choking can cause stroke. You want us to believe that wasn't the case either?

You've got this all figured out. Too bad the facts don't back you up.

So you want us all to believe that stuffing absurd amounts of gulab jamun down his throat had nothing to do with his choking. Ummm OK.

Even though sudden traumatic events such as choking can cause stroke. You want us to believe that wasn't the case either?

You've got this all figured out. Too bad the facts don't back you up.

Hmmm... Research fail. glossed over the causes of strokes and misread it. Thought it said choking can't cause stroke. In that case you are correct and they will get sued. But why the hell didn't he just puke? Personally I would have if I was choking.

No S*!@ this guy was susceptible to a stroke! Do people have any idea how much sugar is in those sweets? That's just asking for it, It's like drinking copious amounts of liquor and driving around after, people should think about what they are putting in their body and what effect it can have.

HUGE mistake by the radio station not to have anyone sign waivers. It's a good thing though. I'd rather the cost of his health care be at least partially covered by someone other than the taxpayer.

They make people sign waivers for events like this for a reason. The radio station provided the food and he choked on it. They could he held responsible.

when I go to a company picnic, and they provide the hotdogs, if I choke on one, can I sue them for that?

I know the guy and the story. They offered no emergency services on site for what was an obviously dangerous event. And when this guy started feeling nauseous and asked to vomit, the hosts forbade him from throwing up on stage because it didn't look nice.

frack Red FM, I've been saying for the longest time the family should have sued the hell out of them.

hahaha

no friggin way anyone is gonna forbid me from puking.

what a load of doodoo.

As for not having a waiver it wouldn't have meant crap. Waivers are really just deterrances to lawsuits more than anything. A court isn't going to look at a man with a wife and kids and say "yeah look at that waiver you agreed to f yourself up". Doesn't work that way.

He has a legitmate case and I'm sure he hears from lawyers all the time. The festival created the environment for the accident thus are liable. And if there wasn't medical staff on hand to deal with potential issues ie. standing at the side of the event in case a situation like this occurrs then he has every right to sue.

This isn't a "this isn't the USA" type case. We're not talking about a burn we're talking about someones life nearly taken from them.

Considering they didn't make him sign a waiver, it sounds like he might have a case.

I don't sign anything when i go to a restaurant, should they not have a paramedic on standby?

also he had a stroke ? is that common when your choking? my understanding is that if you are having a stroke your chances of choking on the food your eating increase by like 1000%. so my guys is he had the stroke first....

I don't sign anything when i go to a restaurant, should they not have a paramedic on standby?

also he had a stroke ? is that common when your choking? my understanding is that if you are having a stroke your chances of choking on the food your eating increase by like 1000%. so my guys is he had the stroke first....

Dont be stubborn. What I think he means is that when your eating food in the extreme quantities real fast like that your gonna need a paramedic on standby. Your not gonna need one if your sitting on your rump eating at a restaurant slowly and at your pace

No they shouldn't. They serve you a meal that is a single serving in a relaxed atmosphere. It's not a speed eating contest.

It is not reasonable to think eating a normal meal requires a paramedic. Pushing the human body beyond it's intended limits does.

Choking is a cause of stroke.

gulab-jamun-sweet.jpg

For those who don't know. This is what he was mowing back. Think of a large Timbit, completely soaked in icing sugar. It's very heavy and dense. It's basically the ideal food for choking.

Archived