The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

can we ban this fat condescending douchebag already.

Maybe the joke was in poor taste, but why do you tools have any sympathy for those who fail to take responsibility for themselves and blame and sue everybody else for it? He set a bad example to his kid by taking part in the contest in the first place, and is setting yet another one by suing.

A lot of radio stations do these crazy stunts without doing their research or due diligence of the potential hazards. And a food eating contest has to be something supervised with medical staff with 20 feet, can't have a bunch of amateurs running it.

There really should be bigger penalties for companies that hold crazy contents like this. Another example is the holding in your pee contest which resulted in a death.

From what I can tell the family doesn't deserve jack squat. The man put himself in that situation all on his own, When it comes to him choking,if it was the stroke that caused him to start choking it is not the radio stations faul. If it is because he stood up with food still in his mouth.....again it is no one fault but his own. I think the idea of signing a waiver for eating food is absolutely ridiculous.

There are a few people on here saying he was forced not to vomit on stage by the host's to prevent grossing people out. Unless they can prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt, then that part of the argument is null.

Im sorry for the family that such a horrible accident happened, but it doesn't seem like the accident happened because the RedFM was negligent.

Maybe the joke was in poor taste, but why do you tools have any sympathy for those who fail to take responsibility for themselves and blame and sue everybody else for it? He set a bad example to his kid by taking part in the contest in the first place, and is setting yet another one by suing.

The Surrey man in question was picked out of the crowd by the organizers to take part.

The man started to vomit during the contest, and was told to stop or he'd be disqualified. He fainted when he tried to stop vomiting.

Granted, this will all be decided in a court of law. However, in my opinion that stated previously make the radio station, at the least, an accomplis in the events that transpired. They should be held accountable.

From what I can tell the family doesn't deserve jack squat. The man put himself in that situation all on his own, When it comes to him choking,if it was the stroke that caused him to start choking it is not the radio stations faul. If it is because he stood up with food still in his mouth.....again it is no one fault but his own. I think the idea of signing a waiver for eating food is absolutely ridiculous.

There are a few people on here saying he was forced not to vomit on stage by the host's to prevent grossing people out. Unless they can prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt, then that part of the argument is null.

Im sorry for the family that such a horrible accident happened, but it doesn't seem like the accident happened because the RedFM was negligent.

The fact that there were no paramedics on site is negligence in itself.

condolenses to the family, that is tough to go through. But I think that is garbage if they actually go through with suing that radio station. Should not be radio stations fault that he did not chew his food properly, everyone should be responsible for themselves and look out for their own safety, not rely that someone else has. Also that would be a complete waste of tax dollars, and needlessly tie-up the courts valuable time on a ridiculous case.

The fact that there were no paramedics on site is negligence in itself.

He should've been looking after his own safety is the point most people are making. He volunteered, he chose to shove all that food in his mouth, and he chose to swallow instead chewing for a second longer. Had someone from the radio station been shoving the food in his mouth for him, then yes thats a different story, but it wasn't the case. If you cannot be bothered to be responsible enough for your own safety then why should someone else. Societies beleif of blaming someone else for something that is their own fault is ridiculous.

He should've been looking after his own safety is the point most people are making. He volunteered, he chose to shove all that food in his mouth, and he chose to swallow instead chewing for a second longer. Had someone from the radio station been shoving the food in his mouth for him, then yes thats a different story, but it wasn't the case. If you cannot be bothered to be responsible enough for your own safety then why should someone else. Societies beleif of blaming someone else for something that is their own fault is ridiculous.

Like it or not, it is the event organizers responsibility to provide a safe venue. They failed this in a number of ways.

The Surrey man in question was picked out of the crowd by the organizers to take part.

What happened to free will? Was he dragged up onto the stage to partake in the contest?

Why didn't he just say no? If the trial awards damage, it should only be 50% to him.

Like it or not, it is the event organizers responsibility to provide a safe venue. They failed this in a number of ways.

You are correct in court they would deem it not safe because there was not safe because there wasn't a paramedic present. But in most people eyes it is a perfectly safe event, because most people don't need a paramedic nearby them when they are eating even if they choose to eat quickly. I'm just saying in my opinion that is where society as a whole is failing, for the family to turn around and blaim the event rather than be responsible for their own actions is wrong.

look, if you run a eating contest, as the host you need to take precautions.

ie. paramedics, first-aid on scene.

that wasn't the case. no one thinks they will suffer a major health injury during an eating contest. worst case scenario, you think you may throw-up. RED FM is to blame.

what are you, 12?

how does this not make sense?

logically, you're saying every time you dine-out, there is a eating contest involved?

no waiver = strong case.

feel terrible for the family and they should be compensated.

What are you 11? Are you saying you can only choke in an eating contest? What sort of logic is that?

I know the guy and the story. They offered no emergency services on site for what was an obviously dangerous event. And when this guy started feeling nauseous and asked to vomit, the hosts forbade him from throwing up on stage because it didn't look nice.

frack Red FM, I've been saying for the longest time the family should have sued the hell out of them.

He asked to vomit? I don't think you really have a choice when it comes to that he should have just let it out or turned around.

On another note, how do people even like these desserts? I tried one and it was litterally a timbit size ball of dough saturated in thick sugar syrup. My mind couldn't reconcile the overwhelming sweetness and size of this dessert. And I am a person that loves my sweets. I don't know if any prize is worth eating more thant 2 of these.

On the other hand, I do like those Indian desserts that come in cubes and are flavored with some spice and have the consistency of fudge, not sure what they are called. But those seem super heavy and sweet also. It takes me 3-4 attempts before I can finish one piece of those.

The man started to vomit during the contest, and was told to stop or he'd be disqualified. He fainted when he tried to stop vomiting.

Granted, this will all be decided in a court of law. However, in my opinion that stated previously make the radio station, at the least, an accomplis in the events that transpired. They should be held accountable.

There are choices people make. He chose to participate and abide by the rules. He didn't have to.

Although, I have to read through the thread when time permits....if they didn't have emergency personnel on site, that would be a problem.

Archived