The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

There are choices people make. He chose to participate and abide by the rules. He didn't have to.

Although, I have to read through the thread when time permits....if they didn't have emergency personnel on site, that would be a problem.

Actually, given that he never signed a waiver, he did not choose to abide by the rules and accept the potential remifications of eating too much in one sitting.

Moreover, given the recent successes of a certain hot dog eating contest on tv every year, I would argue that it is not reasonable to expect the average person to understand or be explicitly aware of the potential lethality from an eating contest.

Moreover, given the recent successes of a certain hot dog eating contest on tv every year, I would argue that it is not reasonable to expect the average person to understand or be explicitly aware of the potential lethality from an eating contest.

While the human body does not come with an owner's manual and a lot of figuring out it's limits is trial and error. I would argue that for most people this one would be easy to figure out. By the age of 36 he'd have consumed approx 39,000 meals. If he hasn't figured it out by then that's really his issue.

<p>

<br />

So the event organizers are to blame because you couldn&#39;t swallow your food?<br />

<br />

I choked on a piece of sushi as a child. I ended up fine but it was an awful experience. Can I sue the nice Japanese guys that run the place?<br />

<br />

Awful story, of course. But this isn&#39;t America, is it? Why are we suing people who did absolutely nothing wrong?<br />

better case suing ur parents for not teaching u how to chew before swallowing.

While the human body does not come with an owner's manual and a lot of figuring out it's limits is trial and error. I would argue that for most people this one would be easy to figure out. By the age of 36 he'd have consumed approx 39,000 meals. If he hasn't figured it out by then that's really his issue.

I disagree, and don't believe what you say has any relevance.

Ya, I get the whole being angry and wanting compensation thing and I'd probably be in the same boat, but from a rational point of view it makes no sense.

It actually makes 100% logic when you view it from the perspective of the law. If you believe his not to be the case, then I ask why do all other contests of this variety have waivers signed prior.

Major League Eating has a section on safety.

"Safety is the first consideration in any sport, and MLE insists that all sanctioned competitive eating matches take place in a controlled environment with proper safety measures in place.

MLE will not sanction or promote any events that do not adhere to proper safety regulations and the league believes that speed eating is only suitable for those 18 years of age or older and only in a controlled environment with appropriate rules and with an emergency medical technician present.

MLE strongly opposes and discourages home training of any kind. MLE also strongly discourages younger individuals from eating for speed or quantity under any circumstances. MLE urges all interested parties to become involved in sanctioned events -- do not try speed eating home."

Too bad they didn't see it.

It actually makes 100% logic when you view it from the perspective of the law. If you believe his not to be the case, then I ask why do all other contests of this variety have waivers signed prior.

If they actually have a case because they didn't have to sign a waiver then the law needs to be revised because that's garbage. It's really no different than fat turds in the States suing McDicks because the food made them fat. Your own negligence warrants a massive pay day? Get effing real. It warrants a slap up side the head for being dumb and that's about it.

If they actually have a case because they didn't have to sign a waiver then the law needs to be revised because that's garbage. It's really no different than fat turds in the States suing McDicks because the food made them fat. Your own negligence warrants a massive pay day? Get effing real. It warrants a slap up side the head for being dumb and that's about it.

It's actually not the same at all. The parallels you attempt to draw for your line of "reasoning" are not analogous. It's really as simple as that.

Never mind. You, the CDC poster of the year, know better than all of the powers that be who make up, apply and enforce the law.

Sounds like a credible stance for an argument.

EDIT: on the other hand, it could be you just don't understand what I am trying to say. I suppose that is much a failure on me as it is you.

It's actually not the same at all. The parallels you attempt to draw for your line of "reasoning" are not analogous. It's really as simple as that.

Never mind. You, the CDC poster of the year, know better than all of the powers that be who make up, apply and enforce the law.

Sounds like a credible stance for an argument.

They most definitely are the same. Acts of negligence on the part of the individual then attempting to pawn their irresponsibility off onto someone else in an effort for a paycheque.

They most definitely are the same. Acts of negligence on the part of the individual then attempting to pawn their irresponsibility off onto someone else in an effort for a paycheque.

Believe it or not, there are varying degrees of negligence....

Hence, they are not the same.

I'm not sure "legally entitled to" equals "deserves" but I'm pretty sure if they take legal action they will be awarded some level of compensation.

The radio company is, in one form or another, responsible because if they hadn't hosted this contest the guy would not have stuffed his face full of east-indian timbits until he suffered a stroke.

Two instances of filling your face with crap then blaming someone else for the health issues as a result are completely different?

Yes. McDonalds has their dietary information available for the public. Think of that as a waiver. This contest, on the othe hand, offered no such information.

• 4 months later...

Latest update on this case. The family has decided to file a lawsuit:

Surrey family sues Diwali eating contest organizers

Samaljit Aulakh choked during Diwali eating contest, suffered brain damage

CBC NewsPosted: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 AM PTLast Updated: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 AM PT

diwali-choking.jpg

Samaljit Aulakh has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since last November. (CBC)

The family of a Surrey, B.C., man who suffered brain damage after choking at an eating contest at a Diwali celebration last year, is suing the event's organizers.

Samaljit (Sunny) Aulakh has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since November 2012, when he took his son to the Diwali celebration in Surrey, sponsored by local radio station Red FM.

Aulakh volunteered to go up on stage to participate in an eating contest involving gulab jamuns, soft doughy Indian sweets the size of Timbits.

According to a lawsuit filed by Aulakh's wife, Kamaljeet, a radio broadcaster with Red FM instructed contestants to bend over and eat gulab jamuns without using their hands.

Aulakh won the competition and was then allegedly told by a contest organizer that if he threw up, he wouldn't be able to claim the prize — a new iPhone.

Aulakh choked and fell to the ground as his young son, Pawan, watched him turn blue in the face.

Aulakh ended up in a coma for 10 days and emerged with severe brain damage.

The lawsuit alleges negligence on the part of organizers Red FM for failing to ensure the event was safe and that properly trained medical personnel were on hand.

Also named in the suit are makers of the gulab jamuns, Nanak foods, and the venue, Surrey's Central City Shopping Centre.

Aulakh's family is asking for damages to deal with loss of income and cover medical and long term care costs.

The allegations have not been proven in court. Red FM could not be reached for comment

Latest update on this case. The family has decided to file a lawsuit:

Surrey family sues Diwali eating contest organizers

Samaljit Aulakh choked during Diwali eating contest, suffered brain damage

CBC NewsPosted: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 AM PTLast Updated: Nov 29, 2013 6:17 AM PT

diwali-choking.jpg

Samaljit Aulakh has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since last November. (CBC)

The family of a Surrey, B.C., man who suffered brain damage after choking at an eating contest at a Diwali celebration last year, is suing the event's organizers.

Samaljit (Sunny) Aulakh has been in hospital, unable to speak or walk, since November 2012, when he took his son to the Diwali celebration in Surrey, sponsored by local radio station Red FM.

Aulakh volunteered to go up on stage to participate in an eating contest involving gulab jamuns, soft doughy Indian sweets the size of Timbits.

According to a lawsuit filed by Aulakh's wife, Kamaljeet, a radio broadcaster with Red FM instructed contestants to bend over and eat gulab jamuns without using their hands.

Aulakh won the competition and was then allegedly told by a contest organizer that if he threw up, he wouldn't be able to claim the prize — a new iPhone.

Aulakh choked and fell to the ground as his young son, Pawan, watched him turn blue in the face.

Aulakh ended up in a coma for 10 days and emerged with severe brain damage.

The lawsuit alleges negligence on the part of organizers Red FM for failing to ensure the event was safe and that properly trained medical personnel were on hand.

Also named in the suit are makers of the gulab jamuns, Nanak foods, and the venue, Surrey's Central City Shopping Centre.

Aulakh's family is asking for damages to deal with loss of income and cover medical and long term care costs.

The allegations have not been proven in court. Red FM could not be reached for comment

I can see how a lack of medical personnel is a form of negligence but suing the makers of the product? Really? That's like an idiot suing Lego because their 1 year old child choked to death on a Lego piece from a box that didn't say, THIS IS NOT FOOD. Because the 1 year old understands what that means, or the parent willingly fed them Lego thinking it was colourful candy.

Archived