The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Update: Surrey Family Sue Over Eating Contest at Diwali Event

DonLever

There are 2 atrocities within this story:

1 ) the family man who is left unable to walk and speak as a result of a stroke. That really is unfortunate and quite disappointing.

2 ) the fact that that same man who suffered the stroke did so while willingly participating in a speed eating contest, and now his family seeks to profit off of his misfortune.

I sympathize with the family, but truly hope they get jack squat from their ridiculous lawsuit.

1 ) the family man who is left unable to walk and speak as a result of a stroke. That really is unfortunate and quite disappointing.

2 ) the fact that that same man who suffered the stroke did so while willingly participating in a speed eating contest, and now his family seeks to profit off of his misfortune.

I sympathize with the family, but truly hope they get jack squat from their ridiculous lawsuit.

Have some sympathy. They stated that they want to sue to gain financial assistance for health care and other medical necessities.

Have some sympathy. They stated that they want to sue to gain financial assistance for health care and other medical necessities.

I have sympathy. I actually said so in my post. I also know all too well about not knowing where money will come from for medical bills when the sht hits the fan. Simply looking for someone to sue to help out though is not an honourable quality no matter how anyone wants to phrase it.

The risks of overeating/rapidly eating are well known to adults. Choking is a hazard while eating quickly. How many readers just said "no sh!t" in their heads while reading that sentence? Got to be close to %100.

Still, while sympathetic, I view suing as a recourse for potentially unsafe actions that yielded long term injuries to be despicable. Callous as it sounds, he is the only man responsible for his actions that day. Unfortunate isn't it?

I have sympathy. I actually said so in my post. I also know all too well about not knowing where money will come from for medical bills when the sht hits the fan. Simply looking for someone to sue to help out though is not an honourable quality no matter how anyone wants to phrase it.

The risks of overeating/rapidly eating are well known to adults. Choking is a hazard while eating quickly. How many readers just said "no sh!t" in their heads while reading that sentence? Got to be close to %100.

Still, while sympathetic, I view suing as a recourse for potentially unsafe actions that yielded long term injuries to be despicable. Callous as it sounds, he is the only man responsible for his actions that day. Unfortunate isn't it?

If they would of had medical personnel on site, as they legally obligated to do, they could of intubated and he wouldn't have had brain damage. They are legally liable, waiver or no.

Not the point. The organizers have a duty of care under tort. That's for your protection in society as it is for all.

Reading your post has made me realize that I have failed to mention something important in my own. If the organizers are found to be negligent then naturally I would rescind my abrubt tone that dismissed any right to sue in the first place.

If they mans family income has been affected then they have every right to seek compensation. Let me ask you this, have you ever been to an event where contestants are picked from the audience unaware? Who ever stops to consider all the legal implications when getting up on stage to sing along or assist a magician. This is no different.

You wrote your question within my quote, I almost missed it...

Again, If the family income has been affected as a result of the organizers being found negligent, then yes they do. Otherwise, no, they don't.

I would say that very few people would consider the legal ramification surrounding such actions, but I would venture a guess that many of the rational folk out there would opt out of participation if they felt unsure about their personal safety. Nobody forces anyone to do anything they don't want to do at magic shows and what not either. Participation is still voluntary, even when called upon.

Don't see the reason to sue Nanak foods, but the venue and organizers for sure are liable. Eating contests are dumb anyways, hopefully this prevents some in the future when organizers realise it's not worth the liablity.

Don't like

All food eating competitions should just go away. Its completely unhealthy and the person eating will only stop if they are choking or puke. This whole type of competition is just revolting.

No one if forcing you to watch or participate.

Archived