The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] NHL requesting Seattle team for 2014-15 season and onwards

Why do people think the NHL should expand to 32 teams? The NHL can barely remain stable on 30 teams right now as half of the markets are in less than average shape and at least 5 teams are in terrible shape. If anything the NHL should remove a number of teams in the league that are faltering, it's ridiculous people think the league should expand.

Let me think back to the lockout thread.....

There was great debate amongst us that part of the larger issue was the lack of tying relocation and expansion money to revenue.

It was made separated meaning the NHLPA gets nothing on this money and it will be split amongst the teams.

$275 mil x 2 = $550 mil / 30 teams = $18.333 mil each up and above the decreased cap, not including any relocation fees.

Yeah, that's what happened.

Let me think back to the lockout thread.....

There was great debate amongst us that part of the larger issue was the lack of tying relocation and expansion money to revenue.

It was made separated meaning the NHLPA gets nothing on this money and it will be split amongst the teams.

$275 mil x 2 = $550 mil / 30 teams = $18.333 mil each up and above the decreased cap, not including any relocation fees.

Yeah, that's what happened.

Expansion to Saskatoon would be laughable. The population base is far too small to be even considered. They have less than half the population of Winnipeg, there are not very many large corporate sponsorship there. Saskatoon's top two employers are the local government and the University. Not going to happen and it will never be even discussed.

That's an interesting post and suggestion. I had never thought of a Las Vegas team, but that would work. It's a pretty big city. But I still don't think Seattle is a big enough city to hold an NHL team, not to mention the city has a horrible record for keeping or properly getting professional sports teams. I'd be happy with Las Vegas and Houston, or perhaps Kansas City or San Antonio. All good options when you think about.

Especially because a few posters have mentioned the necessity of having two western expansion teams so that detroyt can stay in the east.

my two cents...

Hmmm maybe Kelly is correct, neither city should have a team. I guess I did not properly research the size of Las Vegas to see that it, like Seattle, would be inadequate for holding an NHL team. Looks like the original suggestions of Houston and Atlanta are still the two best ideas.

I admit my error, and apologize...

Houston could make some sense as they have a decent population but there are major economic issues in the region. If the NHL is committed to TX, as they seem to be, there would be a great national rivalry there.

KC has a long history with hockey but there would be a major stumbling block over the arena. If it did happen the St Louis, Nashville, KC triangle would be good for the region. Unfortunately, KC has had a hard time keeping hockey teams.

The West outside of Seattle and Portland seems like a dry well. Would Salt Lake City be a possibility despite its size? San Antonio has a good population but it would have Phoenix-like problems.

Houston could make some sense as they have a decent population but there are major economic issues in the region. If the NHL is committed to TX, as they seem to be, there would be a great national rivalry there.

KC has a long history with hockey but there would be a major stumbling block over the arena. If it did happen the St Louis, Nashville, KC triangle would be good for the region. Unfortunately, KC has had a hard time keeping hockey teams.

The West outside of Seattle and Portland seems like a dry well. Would Salt Lake City be a possibility?

The West outside of Seattle and Portland seems like a dry well. Would Salt Lake City be a possibility despite its size? San Antonio has a good population but it would have Phoenix-like problems.

Archived