The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van-Wpg

To Wpg: Edler (+2nd or 3rd if needed)

To Van: E Kane

Evander has said that the team he wants to play for is Vancouver. He grew up here and played for the Giants. He has said he wants to be the star of a franchise, and when he reaches his prime, he will likely be our star player (unless one of our prospects breaks out). He have lacked a scoring winger with an edge and would bring that douchebag cockiness that this organization needs (ala patrick kane). Imo he would give the canucks new life and who knows, playing for his dream team, he might get better than projected. Cap hits are almost the same with kane at 5.2 and edler at 5.

Doubt Winnipeg does this. They already have good offensive defensemen in Enstrom and Byfuglien. Add in Bogosian's new deal and they have just over 16 million tide up in 3 defensemen.

If they are going to move Kane they'd probably want a top 6 forward to replace him plus 1 or 2 top prospects or picks.

Van: kane

Wpg: shinkaruk (high end prospect), higgins (replacement), 1st.

They get a middle six forward who could easily play a top 6 role, a high-end prospect, and a frst round pick. Wpg is not built to win today, they will be when scheifle and trouba are ready in a couple years. And by then, shinkaruk will be ready, and also the 1st rounder. We are built to win now. Evander is easily a top 6 guy now and will only get better. And when our other prospects are ready to take over full-time, E Kane and kes can lead them to greatness as the sedins will likely be gone.

This. If it's not a high end top 6 of similar value to Kane, then they'd have to be convinced with a better package but a defender isn't going to do it since that's already a strength of theirs.

Not enough. Think more like Kesler and Jensen or something similar for Kane and a lesser prospect/pick. We're trying to convince them to move him, not the other way around.

Before Kesler's NTC kicked in (and before more injuries, which may concern them) I'd suggested this:

Kane and Burmistrov

for

Kesler and Rodin

Obviously Burmistrov and Rodin are gone overseas so have no value, but I think with Kesler's injuries over the last few years, the Jets would want something extra and it'd probably be a reasonably significant piece. Maybe we get away with someone like Archibald added in, but I doubt it and they'd target a higher skilled winger most likely.

Wouldn't be enough. You have to keep in mind if Kane was made available the Canucks would be in a bidding war with other franchises. The team that gets him would be the team that overpays to seperate themselves from the rest.

Higgins is a weak add in he is just a 30 year old solid 3rd line player on most teams and a poor 2nd line player. He would hardly "replace" Kane.

The 1st rounder likely a mid to late round selection. Basically a hit and miss zone. It holds value but teams are very willing to give them up for young big name talents like Kane.

Shinkaruk isn't a bad start he is a strong prospect though not an elite one. Something other teams would likely be willing to part with for Kane.

Basically you're likely going to have to part with a core player or your best prospect (Horvat) to have the winning offer.

if we traded kesler, it would only create a bigger gap at centre and 3/4 C positions would be uncertain. I still think my shinkaruk, higgins, 1st is enough. MAYBE add like a 3rd at the most but anything more and its too much

Don't forget I said it was at the time before Kesler's NTC kicked in, which was last June/July. At that point we had Malhotra and Lapierre for our bottom 6 and Schroeder nearing NHL ready. Add to that we'd be getting Burmistrov back, and it wouldn't have necessarily been an issue since we didn't have extra info like that Manny would be shut down.

The problem with your 2nd proposal is there's perhaps potential there, but it's basically a 2nd/3rd line tweener in Higgins, and two late round firsts for Kane. They get nothing to replace the high end top 6 scoring they lose with Kane. If they aren't getting more of a guarantee of replacing that in the deal (versus future potential that may or may not work out) then there's no reason for them to do so.

if we traded kesler, it would only create a bigger gap at centre and 3/4 C positions would be uncertain. I still think my shinkaruk, higgins, 1st is enough. MAYBE add like a 3rd at the most but anything more and its too much

Archived