The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

defining moments in Canucks history

whytelight

Lafayette's *ping* has been mentioned, but I think the entire SCF run in '94 defined this team. When they talk about "heart of a Canuck" I believe they're referring to this time in our history. I believe that most other times we went on to win or lose we were expected to do so (ie/ '82 run we were expected to lose and we did, '11 we were expected to win and we came within one game). In '94 I don't think many gave us much of a shot, and when we were down with our backs against the wall, you saw the "heart of a Canuck". We pushed back hard, we dug down deep and found strength that maybe even the players didn't know they had. Do you remember the absolute bedlam after game 6? The pride we felt as Canucks nation? Remember Trevor and Captain Kirk carrying the team through game 7 (heart of a LION never mind just a Canuck)? Absolute highest point in Canucks history I can remember. As for a low point, well, as bad as Bert's punch was, the results of that action were mostly accidental. The McSorley / Brashear incident, for me anyways, goes down as one of the lowest points, not just for Canucks, but for hockey as a whole...the guy should have been locked up period.

1. Vancouver's loss to Calgary in 1989 = If Joel Otto didn't kick the puck in the net and won the game??

2. Burrows' goal in 2011 = some argue that this is the WORSE thing because it gave Vancouver undeserved hype and expectations.

3. Kirk McLean's save against Robert Rychle in 1989 = puck goes in, it is over....saves and we're one inch away from the cup

4. The mishandling of Luongo/Schneider = we'll see the results of this in 3 or 4 years from now. We can only guess what effects positively or negatively it will have on the franchise

5. The signing of Messier = we all hated this. But it could be argued that Naslund became the player he was because of Messier's influence.

Lafayette's *ping* has been mentioned, but I think the entire SCF run in '94 defined this team. When they talk about "heart of a Canuck" I believe they're referring to this time in our history. I believe that most other times we went on to win or lose we were expected to do so (ie/ '82 run we were expected to lose and we did, '11 we were expected to win and we came within one game). In '94 I don't think many gave us much of a shot, and when we were down with our backs against the wall, you saw the "heart of a Canuck". We pushed back hard, we dug down deep and found strength that maybe even the players didn't know they had. Do you remember the absolute bedlam after game 6? The pride we felt as Canucks nation? Remember Trevor and Captain Kirk carrying the team through game 7 (heart of a LION never mind just a Canuck)? Absolute highest point in Canucks history I can remember. As for a low point, well, as bad as Bert's punch was, the results of that action were mostly accidental. The McSorley / Brashear incident, for me anyways, goes down as one of the lowest points, not just for Canucks, but for hockey as a whole...the guy should have been locked up period.

1) The Wheel Spin that we lost . Buffalo got Perreault and we got .........dry crap.

2) 15 straight losing seasons from 76-77 to 90-91

3) The terrible decision to go with the flying V jerseys.

4) The great 82 stanley cup run with a losing record.

5) The Cam Neely trade

6) The hiring of Pat Quinn and then Brian Burke

7) The drafting of Trevor Linden. This is the turning point of our franchise.

8) The sneaky 6th round draft of Pavel Bure in 89. Easily the greatest draft steal in NHL history.

9) The trade that brought Ronning Momesso and Courtall to Vancouver.

10) Canucks finally dumping the yellow jerseys for the white black and gold skate uniform.

11) Bure winning our first player trophy. The Calder

12) Canucks fanstastic cup run in 94 which included the Bure goal. Many consider the Rangers series to be one of the best final in modern history.

13) The Naslund trade. The best trade in Canuck history.

14) The Mark Messier signing

15) The horrible treatment of Trevor Linden and consequent trade

16) The dark years that saw Pavel demand to get out as the end of an era

17) The rise of Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi

18) The 'we choked' debacle followed by the Dan Cloutier choke job in the playoffs

19) Matt Cookes unlikely goal all to be erased with JoVo in the box

20 ) The Luongo trade

21 Luongo's first playoff game 76 save victory over Dallas.

22 The infamous bathroom incident and goof on the final goal.

23 The Cody Hodgson draft

24 The Mats Sundin signing

25 The stunning 2011 regular season, and Burrows goal and equally stunning loss in game 6 and 7 against the bruins. Probably the most bitter and hated series in modern history.

26 The Luongo / Schneider debacle leading to the Schneider trade.

edit : 27) ???? who knows, hopefully a Stanley Cup parade :towel:

Most were mentioned.

Not getting a team in '67 is a huge defining moment to me. I think it's where a lot of the "NHL is against the Canucks" paranoia comes from, to this day. From "the draft lottery was rigged", and it's never stopped.

Trading Sundstrom for Kirk McLean and Greg Adams is always overlooked in favour of the Quinn & Butcher, for Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso and Dirk as the big early 90's core-defining trade, but the McLean/Adams deal is just as huge for that era.

Everyone's mentioned it - but not the circumstances that allowed it - The Canucks scouting finding a loophole that allowed the Canucks to seemingly draft Bure a year early illegally, and winning the court decision.

Matching The Maple Leafs offer to Ohlund.

The end of the WCE Era when they choked up a 3-1 series lead to the Wild, and then the nail in the coffin the following year with the Steve Moore sucker punch and a game 7 loss on home ice in overtime to the Flames after a heroic game 6 winner, and a stunner last second tying goal by Cooke, short-handed, with the goalie pulled, and a Jovo in the box, only to lose it early in OT while still on the PK. Other than losing in the finals, I'd put this as the most painful loss I've ever had to witness, especially because it was in person for me. I really thought they were next team to make it, instead we had to wait 6 more years for a shot.

1) The Wheel Spin that we lost . Buffalo got Perreault and we got .........dry crap.

2) 15 straight losing seasons from 76-77 to 90-91

3) The terrible decision to go with the flying V jerseys.

4) The great 82 stanley cup run with a losing record.

5) The Cam Neely trade

6) The hiring of Pat Quinn and then Brian Burke

7)  The drafting of Trevor Linden. This is the turning point of our franchise.

8)  The sneaky 6th round draft of Pavel Bure in 89. Easily the greatest draft steal in NHL history.

9)  The trade that brought Ronning Momesso and Courtall to Vancouver.

10) Canucks finally dumping the yellow jerseys for the white black and gold skate uniform.

11) Bure winning our first player trophy. The Calder

12) Canucks fanstastic cup run in 94 which included the Bure goal. Many consider the Rangers series to be one of the best final in modern history.

13) The Naslund trade. The best trade in Canuck history.

14) The Mark Messier signing

15) The horrible treatment of Trevor Linden and consequent trade

16) The dark years that saw Pavel demand to get out as the end of an era

17) The rise of Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi

18) The 'we choked' debacle followed by the Dan Cloutier choke job in the playoffs

19) Matt Cookes unlikely goal all to be erased with JoVo in the box

20 ) The Luongo trade

21  Luongo's first playoff game 76 save victory over Dallas.

22  The infamous bathroom incident and goof on the final goal.

23  The Cody Hodgson draft

24  The Mats Sundin signing

25   The stunning 2011 regular season, and Burrows goal and equally stunning loss in game 6 and 7 against the bruins. Probably the most bitter and hated series in modern history.

26 The Luongo / Schneider debacle leading to the Schneider trade.

edit :  27) ???? who knows, hopefully a Stanley Cup parade :towel:

Archived